Support Matter protocol

Already working on it. Too bad, an open source license-free approach would have been preferable. Care of @carverofchoice:

3 Likes

They are officially part of matter, just haven’t announced new products that will support as I don’t think current cameras can support it.

1 Like

I gotta say, with the price of Wyze products, I’d happily buy each one all over again if they gain HomeKit support in any way. Matter seems the best move going forward, for sure.

9 Likes

It appears that Matter is front and center for future development. This meeting recently was with a lot of the dev community from several companies and WYZE rep is quoted and/or mentioned.

bob

2 Likes

Will Wyze be offering Matter certified devices in the future?

1 Like
3 Likes

What is “Matter” did a Google search, but no luck. I want to replace my Wyze outdoor cam and Arlo cams with something more affordable (then Arlo).

Aah, thanks. Explains why I could not find a Matter camera.

1 Like

Of course Wyze is not on list of companies signed up for Matter.

2 Likes

Ref: Meet Our Participants | The Alliance - CSA-IOT

1 Like

Matter” appears to be all about a connectivity standard, please correct me if I misinterpret what quickly read at https://csa-iot.org/

Assuming I’m understanding what Matter is, can someone explain to me how this is going to help Wyze finally create the ability of the Wyze App to do Landscape on a iPad or Android Tablet ?

SJ

It’s not.

Also, Matter doesn’t support cameras.

I believe the poster just meant the new standard would give them more choices.

Personally from what I’ve read I think Matter is irrelevant and will disappear within a few years.

Did you know Wemo is introducing a Thread device that is not even going to work with Matter?

1 Like

Matter will be a standard, companies can decide not to support it and create their own if they want to, they are free to do that. But Matter can allow more devices to join the standard and Amazon, Apple and Google are supporting it, making it cross OS compatible. This could make it easier for other product manufacturers to implement matter into their devices for all systems compatibility.

TBH I don’t think my Wyze products are going to get matter support from Wyze. They will probably only add it to their new products to have compatibility and make us buy more of them. If their devices had Homekit compatibility we would never even have to use the outdated iPad app but that wasn’t possible. I am waiting on Matter to release before making a decision to which company to move to, but with what I have seen until now, definitely not staying with Wyze. Their cameras were perfect when they released them, loved them, praised them, until they weren’t.

2 Likes

Matter, Thread… Windows… Apple…

Love all these Generic Names… at least when I do a search for “Google” on a search engine… I get… what I’m looking for… but then… there’s Alphabet

Interesting story about the Wemo Dimmer Switch, thanks for sharing.

SJ

1 Like

MATTER Integration

I’ve seen and personal requested integrations for things like SmartThings etc that wyze has mentioned they’re considering. However, what I would like to request, is that Wyze looks instead to support the new MATTER smart home standard/protocol launching later this year, which will be supported by all major smart home manufacturers and developers - finally working together. Given Wyze set out to make technology more accessible, doesn’t it make sense instead of seeking to integrate with a single platform, to look forward in supporting the standard that will be supported by all major platforms (Apple, Google, Amazon, SmartThings, and countless others).

1 Like

Welcome to the Wyze User Community Forum @bnicholson! :raising_hand_man:

Here are some links to articles confirming that Wyze is a member of the Matter Alliance:

August 2021:

Wyze Labs Joins Matter Alliance. Wyze Labs now stands among companies like Amazon, Google, and Apple in supporting the new standard.

Wyze Labs Joins the Matter Alliance: What This Means for Your Smart Home

June 2022:

Wyze Talks Upcoming Products, Matter Ecosystem Plans in AMA

Interesting, I searched on the Matter site and wyze didn’t come up.

This is very good news, if I had read the last article earlier about them not providing retro support, I probably wouldn’t have waited to order the addition 4 cameras to add to the 15 I have now, meaning cameras alone, I’ll eventually have to replace 18-19 now :expressionless: … I’ve been with wyze since camv1 - biggest issue I’ve had, is lack of interoperability. This sit outside of the rest of a robust ecosystem in my house. It’s my smart home - then home monitoring/wyze cams… at one point I got motion sensors as triggers for smart lights and switches working via IFTTT, but too much trouble and latency.

Will be watching this - excited for products to come, thanks for sharing the links!

Cameras aren’t even part of Matter yet. Don’t go holding your breath.

1 Like

Yup, read that. But I can def wait a few years to buy or upgrade anymore. It will be added as they build out the standard.