Support for wifi 6 (802.11ax)

The new standard for wifi has been released and a few devices already come with it.

From what I have read it increases wifi data rate and range. That would be perfect for these cameras. Just need all new versions of your devices to support it

Don’t hold your breath. 802.11ax gets most of it’s benefits by using bands other than 2.4 GHz. Since the Wyze cameras are limited to 2.4 GHz, not much to be gained.

That’s kind of my point. Future versions could be made with the faster standard. It’s just a wish.

Faster data speed with longer range? What’s not to like about that. I would gladly pay more for it. Sounds perfect for an outdoor version. Or for a version that supports 4k.

2 Likes

I see they are working on Wifi 7 or 802.11be. Looking forward to 6 or 7.

@K6CCC. Are you saying MUMO and other enhancements will only affect the non-2.4G side? Just curious as I was hoping on overall improvement.

As I read it, correct. The newer technologies gain their advantages by using multiple bands. If you connecting with a single band device, you obviously do not benefit from multi-band capabilities.

Thanks. I have to go back and read about MUMO. I thought it opened more pathways on the band instead of providing just one.

I’m wondering if this deserves more attention, now that final WiFi 6 spec is finalized.

There are features in 802.11ax that seem desirable for Wyze customers (now they have expended to many different devices, with more to come), such as Target Wake Time (especially for battery powered cams…).

For that matter, the whole WiFi 6 spec has been more focused on servicing more devices, not just faster speeds. WiFi 6 will allow 2.4 and 5 GHz. - so those who have issues with signal due to walls and other barriers should benefit (opposed to 802.11ac, which only supports 2.4 GHz).

Obices with WiFi 6 are now available - such as latest iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, most of the various router manufacturers.

Thoughts?viously new hardware is needed on both sides of the connection (router and endpoint) to take advantage of all these new neat features and improved speeds. I hope Wyze is looking into this - dev

From everything that I read, it will improve performance in the 2.4GHz band

2 Likes

Will the 802.11ax Wi-Fi 6 support, be in the near future for Wyze products? It will improve performance in the 2.4GHz band.

2 Likes