Support 5GHz wifi band for Wyze Devices

You are confusing the networks. The 3G that is going away is a cellular network and no Wyze devices use the 3G cellular network. The Wyze devices for the most part use the 2.4 Ghz WiFi network, while some use the 5 Ghz WiFi network. 3G shutting sown will only affect you if you are using a 3G cellular device to view your Wyze devices

5 Likes

Thank you. I should be fine then.

Agreed… its not fricken 1992 for God’s sake… so sick of the market being saturated with all this crap 2.4ghz wifi… im a network/IT guy and cant believe all this new “bleeding edge” tech that comes out, and their wifi modules only support 2.4ghz!!! way to damn noisy and should go away… we want, NEED 5ghz devices, and Wyze should lead the way… interference is a major, huge issue with 2.4ghz, i know i have to deal with those issues all the time because of that legacy BS 2.4ghz band being crap…

There must be a warehouse in China that has BILLIONS of those old 2.4ghz chips, which they use, sell, etc, and thats the only reason consumers are stuck with that crap… move on… 5ghz is the way to go… come on wyze… install the 5ghz chip… its actually almost the same size as the 2.4ghz… might actually be a fraction smaller…

DeVoiD

1 Like

thats not really an issue if you have outdoor base stations, and plan it properly, have 2 or 3 base stations and a single camera on each… something like that. 2.5ghz is noisy, gets and gives interference, is affected even by the weather… heck 6ghz is out there, and we are stuck in 1992 for crying out loud…
i deal witgh issues almost hourly as i have to support over 160 AP’s with dual band… guess what i get calls about… yup 2.4ghz issues… totally blows thats it still “a thing”… need to move on to 5ghz at least.
DeVoiD

1 Like

For someone like me, the Wyze Cam will NOT connect to the local network… PERIOD, because I have Optimum which uses “Smart WiFi” which has both 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz bands using the same name (ie SSID) and password. The cam will not connect to that.

The solution from Wyze? Call my ISP and have them split my network so I can name them separately… that is NOT the solution as the smart wifi allows me to move around without having the network drop, it just chooses the fastest/strongest band seamlessly as I move around… I do NOT want to lose that functionality.

This is 2022 and people have been asking for 5G since 2018… COME ON WYZE!!

Also your proposed solution is not the only, or even best, solution. I bought a cheap TP-Link AP that can broadcast on 2.4Ghz and voila, the cam is now on my network. This did however, double my cost of adding a WiFi Cam to my network :frowning:

2 Likes

I have a TP-Link Archer A6 Mesh with dual bands on the same SSID with Smart Connect auto switching enabled and an extender with the same configuration. All of my Wyze IoT installed and connected to the 2.4GHz band instantly while my phone was on the 5GHz band.

You can log into your Optimum router and toggle your Smart WiFi on and off. If the router is capable, you should also be able to designate priority devices on each band and limit them to that band.

The Smart WiFi tech auto selects the best band for the device in question based on signal strength between the device and the router on EACH band. That means that the farther you walk away from the router, the router is constantly measuring the signal quality on both bands with that device. Too far for the 5GHz and it switches you to the lower band which is a superior band at distance. Since the Wyze IoT cannot communicate on 5GHz, the router can only choose the 2.4GHz.

Your Smart WiFi might not be on and the SSID you are using for your Wyze Cams is the 5GHz SSID which is why they won’t connect. Check your settings in your router: Optimum | Turn On Smart WiFi

I would say that you are having a poor router design issue rather than a Wyze IoT WiFi band issue. While @DeVoiDaNgEl will vehemently disagree with me, there are documented advantages for having security cams on the 2.4GHz band.

2 Likes

Thanks for your input SlabSlayer, but like I said… I resolved this by adding a cheap TP-Link access point.

I mostly wanted to point out how inept support from Wyze is… their recommendation is to call the ISP and disable functionality that I use regularly. I also want to point out how woefully behind the times Wyze is by not having dual-band cameras… there are other inexpensive cameras out there that do have this functionality, so it’s not cost or size prohibiting this… The v3 only recently came out, and they STILL stuck with 2.4Ghz only. Get with the times Wyze!!

You will get no argument from me there. Wyze has NO technical support department. You are posting to it.

What they do call “Customer Support” isn’t. It isn’t even effective as level 1 triage. I have received more intelligent and effective responses from touch tone computer response systems.

We could have the 2.4Ghz\5Ghz discussion for a very long time and still there would be two camps. I can fully understand why Wyze chose to stay with the 2.4GHz in the V3.

However, I am doubtful that the next V4 cam, with the proposed dual band chip (which I would buy ONLY if it were user choice) would come in even close to the same price point. It isn’t as easy as just plopping a chip into the board. It would change the basic infrastructure of Wyze’s current manufacturing and licensing contracts.

If the cam automatically switches to the best available connection, then what is the argument against that?

It absolutely could come in at or very near the same price point, the dual-band chips are pretty much the exact same price as single-band 2.4Ghz ICs… about $6ea in bulk at wholesale. The technology was introduced in 2015… 7 years is a long time in tech terms.

On the 2.4Ghz band, you can connect up to 11 devices depending on the bandwidth usage of the device. However, each device can use different amounts of bandwidth so you may have fewer devices able to connect. If you have neighbors in close enough proximity, their devices will cause congestion and connectivity issues on the 2.4Ghz band.

I am a former computer networking & telecommunications engineer.

While this may very well be a low cost IC for it’s class, I am doubtful you will see Wyze contracting with a cam designer or manufacturer to put a POE\LAN\WLAN\RC(BT) IC into a newly designed cam. It’s an entirely different platform with unnecessary features that don’t fit the market application of a WyzeCam. I don’t think Wyze is looking to make the Swiss Army Knife of security cams.

This IC may be able to connect up to 11 devices, but I would seriously question why anyone would want\need to connect 11 devices to their WyzeCam. I already have a dual band multi-connection IC in my network. It is in my router and can easily handle exponentially more connections.

Also, with a full year lead time to fulfillment, they would not be a prudent supply chain choice.

Wyze does not design or manufacture Cams. They purchase and license existing designs with existing manufacturing channels and rebrand them Wyze. And, they do this with the goal of making their price point lower than all the other like products in the same market. The cost of the IC is not the issue here, the cost of easily procuring cams already designed with a dual band chip that will fit into the Wyze brand and business model is. They were able to do this with the VDB Pro. Perhaps with the next WyzeCam as well. Only time will tell.

Your original post was because your 2.4GHz WyzeCam wouldn’t connect to your Dual Band Optimum Router. That is not a WyzeCam issue, that is a router issue as you have already proven by introducing a 2.4GHz AP from TP-Link and successfully connecting. I highly doubt having a dual band chip in that cam would have improved your results.

Paindonthurts comment about needing further distance is moot. The closer ones can use 5GHz and the ones that need the distance can use 2.4. I have many devices on 2.4 and that band is almost always saturated with interference from neighbors.

As a consumer I can understand the lower cost reasoning of using 2.4Ghz and why the Wyze supplier which I will not name continues to make these without 5Ghz.

As a Network Security Architect, 2.4Ghz is a poor option for security cameras. If you use this to watch your pet while you are away, sure that works, however 2.4Ghz is easily interrupted with cheap RF interference devices and even DIY hardware making any 2.4Ghz camera useless for security reasons. Yes I have built these, yes it is illegal to use them publicly and yes the bad guys don’t care.

Please work with other suppliers to support a 5Ghz option to use these for security. Either that or allow the USB port on the back to use Ethernet adapters.

2 Likes

This will sound elitist, but I think it’s true. If my house is big enough to exceed the range of 5G, I can probably afford a repeater or multiple access points.

Please add 5g connection to Wyze thermostat. I had to update my router and now I can not connect to the thermostat. Thank you.

Welcome to the Wyze User Community Forum @sonicmike68!

When you update your router, it should have dual band compatibility. I don’t know any that don’t support the very wildly used 2.4Ghz band.

Make sure the 2.4Ghz band SSID and Password is the exact same as your last router and all Wyze devices will reconnect without any resets.

If it is absolutely necessary to change the SSID or Password, all Wyze devices will need to be reinstalled. Do not delete them from the app, just run a new setup as if you were installing them new so you can enter the new SSID and Password.

5G Network Compatibility for Wyze Cam Pan

Can you please add 5G to the compatibility for Wyze Cam Pan? Im currently out of the country and this camera I got for Christmas is the only way I can check on my pets, and my wifi only has a 5G option. Please advise.

Welcome to the Wyze User Community Forum @kylie12!

All Wyze cams, with the exception of the Video Doorbell Pro, connect only on the 2.4GHz band - preferred for it’s strength of signal at greater distances and through barriers.

All modern WiFi routers that I am aware of are backward compatible to the older band protocols of 2.4GHz. If your router is 802.11 b, g, or n, it has a 2.4GHz band. It may need configured to show in your Network List as a seperate network (seperate SSID and PW), but it is most likely still there. 802.11 a, n, or ac is 5GHz. 802.11 ax is 6GHz. The specs on your WiFi router should reveal it’s network protocols.

If your WiFi router is dual or tri band broadcasting on a single SSID, you should be able to connect your cam to the network without issues even if the app device is operating on another band.

2 Likes

Using a 2.4 GHz has limitations. I have three Wyze cams that I have outdoors, all about 150 to 200 feet from my house. I get around the distance by purchased a cheap (indoors) extender and mounted it in an upside down open ended plastic bottle outside about 75 feet from the house, where the signal in marginal .Cost via Amazon was $29.99, plastic bottle $0. The cams work very well. Too extend the reception I have used twisted electrical wire around the antennas. See attached pictures. 2.4GHz is generally not the issue, its the reception or distance that causes the problem

1 Like

Wyze said they’re looking at allowing 5GHz on some future cameras:

Why have there been no cameras with 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz?

1 Like

Please let cameras like the v3 use 5ghz. I had to recently upgrade my internet and had to get 5ghz and my cameras do not work with 5ghz :frowning:I really love my cameras but so sad/mad it don’t work with 5ghz