Sunset, sunrise (dusk, dawn) trigger for rules

Out of curiosity, when was it fixed? As of 2 days ago, I was experiencing the same behavior as the other poster, which is why I went with the workaround.

Mine was set to come on at 6:30pm and off at 10:30pm, so it was within the same day. The light it’s connected to never came on until I deleted the rule and re-added it with just an ON time (no OFF time). Now it works as expected, If I want an OFF time, I’ll have to create a separate rule for that.

It was fixed a long time ago.

I had switched to another brand of smart switches because of the lack of sunrise/set support, but I just tested one remaining Wyze switch I have.

I set the ON time at 5pm and the OFF time at 1am, and it accepted it. I haven’t checked if it actually works though, but I did notice it worked before I went for the other switch brand.

1 Like

I’d say that “fixed” is a relative term, since mine didn’t/doesn’t work as expected.

I certainly don’t claim to be a tech expert, but what I can say is my Hue bulbs are SOOOOO easy to program versus Wyze. I have one of my Hue bulbs set to come on an hour before sunrise (which the time changes throughout the year) and stay on for a few hours. Then I have it set to come on a half hour before sunset (which again the time changes throughout the year) and stay on until precisely 11:30PM. With Wyze I have to have it come on randomly at 5AM and off randomly at 9AM to account for short days and cloudy weather…ergo have it come on WAY earlier than necessary during different seasons. Evenings same thing…I have to have it come on EARLY at like 4:30 for short winter days and then summer rolls around and its on for hours before the sun goes down…unless I take the time to keep changing the times. They need to built in a link to the changing sunrise and sunset times.

1 Like

This is one of many examples of why I am not investing in wyze gear any further than my 1 cam and pair of plugs. I have a 2nd cam and 2 bulbs that were free and doorbell via beta testing. This very reasonable request was posted 2 years ago on the wishlist and is still being researched! It’s not a difficult fix. My 10 year old GE digital timer (far from cutting edge home automation) has a DST option and sunrise/sunset options for the triggers. Meanwhile in the past 2 years how many new bug riddled products has wyze pushed out? They’ve spread themselves too thin and too far from their mission to be the most customer centric smart home tech company. Being customer centric does not mean pushing out more buggy products and ignoring long standing and very reasonable highly desired features nearly every other company offers or being forced to rely on workarounds as solutions. Yes, alexa routines can do this particular task, however not every has an alexa device or wants to rely on workarounds. From my perspective wyze has one concern and it is not customer centric, it’s investor centric, show customer, revenue and profit growth, period. It’s the other core value they learned working at Amazon that sadly seems to be the governing philosophy - sell anything regardless of quality since there is always a new customer - as long as there is some profit in it. Hopefully they prove me wrong.

I bypass the Wyze app and set my lights up with Alexa. Even has a sunrise/sunset setting.

I was given an echo so do the same; however, there are many who do not use alexa and being forced to rely on a workaround is not a solution. Meanwhile this is a relatively easy fix that is absurd to still be missing 2 years later… if it can be deployed in a decade old timer, there is zero excuse for wyze to be ignoring this issue.

2 Likes

Hi @ChemEngr there is ~35 of those suggestion on the Wishlist and it is being researched at this time. Vote for one and lets hope they come through. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I know about the wishlist and have voted for many. I’ve been on these forums for a while now which is why I’m so jilted by wyze and the lack of attention they give to these wishlist items. I know, I know - many have been incorporated in updates. But too many remain imho.

1 Like

I agree with your assessment completely.

1 Like

Hey we are Wyze and we produce and support smart home devices that will help make your lives easier!

We have smart switches and smart bulbs! But wait we don’t support simple triggers like sunrise and sunset that these devices would greatly benefit from.

Hey, lets make that happen so our customers can benefit and have practical use out of these products!

Time Zone / location–> Trigger–> Sundown–>Switch on. Sunrise–> Switch off.

Would you look at that…so easy.

Nah. Let’s make a handheld vacuum and some headphones instead.

It’s not like we are asking for location based triggers. YET.

3 Likes

FWIW, my old digital timer only uses time zone so it’s not exact to the min/sec, but it works and it’s not intrusive. Wyze could simply use zip code - exact location isn’t necessary. But then if they already know your external IP address for app or device communications, then they got an approx location. But your humor is spot on, so thx for the chuckle!

3 Likes

Sunrise/sunset triggers would be great, so 2015! Also wondering what Scenes are for, tried to add them for a group of bulbs, the + button does nothing. Was able to use if for a single bulb and it lets me set a name but that appears to be the only thing it does. Moving fast to create new products is great but if I need to use third party tricks to make them fit my lifestyle, um, your missing the boat. How about some HomeKit connectivity? Really like the Wyze drive to create new and affortdable technology but if you don’t enable these items with software features the value is greatly diminished.

1 Like

The ON/OFF rule for my smart plug wasn’t working when I first set it up, so I used the workaround suggested by another poster. I deleted the previous ruke and created a new rule with ON only. That worked. After several days of success, I added an OFF time to that rule. Now both ON and OFF times work. I still want variable ON/OFF times (my Belkin Wemos have had that since day 1), but for the moment, things are good.

I have ordered the color bulbs and plan to replace all outdoor lights with these. I would love for a dawn to dusk schedule rather than having to constantly tweak the schedules manually. I would like the same feature for the plugs as I use these for outdoor Christmas lights.

1 Like

Yeah thats what I have done as well but I hate that I have to adjust it for changing sunrises and sunsets. Its just a simple feature that every other bulb offers…except Wyze.

2 Likes

We need this! Having the ability to have motion trigger turn on Wyze bulbs but only after it’s dark is important. It can be done right now but 2-3 times a year you have to go in and adjust the times in the rule to match the daylight hours throughout the year and when you have multiple rules this can get tiresome. We need a sunrise/sunset option in the IF time for rules.

1 Like

Every week I change 14 schedules in order to precisely time my light to:

• go on 10 hours after civil dusk (starts to get dark) and then
  • turn off at Civil Dawn/Sunrise
  • turn on at Civil Dusk
  • turn off 1.5 hour after Civil Dusk (bedtime)

Definitely going to burn out eventually and I need them to be this precise and reliable so might need to switch to a different product if not added soon.

2 Likes

I’m testing out using the light sensor of the outdoor plug to trigger my bulbs on/off. Seems like it should work. That side of my plug isn’t being used otherwise, so I can just use it as a light sensor.

1 Like