Sunset, sunrise (dusk, dawn) trigger for rules

In addition to scheduling based on specific days of the week and times of the day, it would be really useful to be able to schedule based on local sunrise and sunset times. Events based on this would run at a slightly different time each day, but you’d never need to adjust it for the seasons.

Edit: Ah, I thought I searched first, but I didn't find it. Haha.

As an additional enhancement to the sunrise/subset it would be nice to have a start/end time adjustable by X minutes. Ex. Turn on light at sunset +30 minutes. Or lights off at sunrise -30 minutes. This would give greater flexibility for all the different scenarios people may come up with.

3 Likes

Agreed! +/- sunrise/sunset feature would be great! I’m speaking specifically on the Wyze Plug.

2 Likes

I agree. But I’d be thrilled if we just had sunrise/sunset for now. Haha.

I vote for sunrise and sunset +/- time offset.

On IFTT, you can have a trigger on sunrise/sunset, but I do not see an option for an offset time to be included.

2 Likes

With VERA (getvera.com) you have option of either setting a specific time or +/- sunrise or +/- sunset and its based on your postal code. For example some of my VERA devices are set to come on 2 hours 16 minutes (or whatever) before sunset & go off at 11PM. In order that they don’t go on/off at same time I vary some of the start or end times.

I REALLY want to see this status change from “maybe-later.” It seems fairly easy to implement. Just ask for a zip code and base it on that. Please? :pleading_face:

4 Likes

It won’t work on zip code if you’re in another country so you will also need the prompt for coordinate (LATITUDE and longitude)

1 Like

Fair enough. City name, whatever. It likely doesn’t need to be THAT precise. :slight_smile: If the timing is off by a minute or two, it probably doesn’t change much for most people, especially if you can +/- it.

1 Like

This would be a very nice feature!!

Would most definitely love to see this added. I actually use a combo of bulbs and outlets to control the lighting for more reptiles. Automated sunrise/sunset means they get their seasonal lighting changes without me having to remember to change them every couple weeks.

Using IFTTT to do it currently, but it’s a bit clunky especially since it only allows rules to be set per device or all devices at once instead of letting me select a subset of devices. IE: Have 4 smart plugs, but only select these 3.

I would like to have scheduling and timers based on sunset/sunrise as well, which in the smart device world is often referred to as ‘Astronomical Timer’ or ‘Astronomic Clock’. Daylight savings time needs to be taken into account. Some smart home devices will allow you to choose whether or not to take daylight savings into account.

1 Like

One useful feature of Samsung Smartthings that we use at another location is to have the devices turn on at sunset and off at sunrise- maybe this can be added as a future feature.

I agree. If you use Alexa, you can automate certain Wyze products based on sunrise/sunset using Alexa routines, but it’s not as robust as it would be if Wyze supported this natively.

A virtual switch would also help this, since you could automate some of the things that the Wyze app supports, but Alexa does not. You can vote for that, too, here. Wyze Virtual Switch

1 Like

Using SmartThings and IFTTT you can turn your WYZE devices on and off using sunset and sunrise by making a virtual switch in SmartThings controlling an IFTTT trigger to turn on/off a WYZE device.

Now is where @nerdland should chime in with the importance of virtual switches :grin:

Look above you. :slight_smile: Haha

For simple on/off things like bulbs, this can be done with fewer steps in Alexa already. But Alexa doesn’t support everything. You can’t turn Wyze notifications on and off, you can’t turn a camera on or off, for example. A virtual switch would enable you to get some functionality like this without Wyze needing to duplicate every little option from the Wyze app into Alexa/Google/IFTTT

Did not see that, one of the drawbacks from when I post from my phone. Sometimes I miss some of the posts when the reply window pops up. That’s why I usually use a computer.

1 Like

I may be late but I see that this is now progressed to “researching”. This would be a very convenient feature to have and I’m looking forward to potentially getting it.

2 Likes

So a nice feature for the plug would be a sunset/sunrise timer. I have other not to be mentioned plugs that have this feature and it’s really nice to set the plug to turn on say 30 minutes before sunset and then turn off at a certain time. This way as the seasons change you don’t have to constantly adjust the timer in the app every two weeks to account for the sun setting later or earlier in the day.

1 Like

So a nice feature for the plug would be a sunset/sunrise timer. I have other not to be mentioned plugs that have this feature and it’s really nice to set the plug to turn on say 30 minutes before sunset and then turn off at a certain time. This way as the seasons change you don’t have to constantly adjust the timer in the app every two weeks to account for the sun setting later or earlier in the day.

2 Likes