Suggestion- quit updating app and cameras if they are working

2 Likes

I see a load of angry notes and get angry too. But I’m 70 now and have seen a few sides of a few things. I have Cam Plus on three cameras for about $15 a year and the rest of the cameras, five of them, cost me $1.25 total for cam plus lite each month. For what I have experimented with, and what charges can be, this is low. But when you are used to free is irratitating.

They made a mistake in offering free recording in the beginning and they made a mistake in offering very low hardware prices with a razor thin profit margin. When the chip shortage hit everyone they nearly went bankrupt. They made a mistake and made pricing changes in order to survive. I see hardware priced the same as ours but with specs less then what we get. The V3 is a crazy good bargain from my perspective, love the night vision, time lapse, ability to constantly monitor my backyard.

I paid for TinyCam pro for a one time price that lets me play around with this hardware and that too is an incredible bargain to me, only because I have been at it for decades, prices for tech used to be crazy expensive.

I understand people feel screwed around with. I’ve experimented with electronic since I was 16 and I’m 69 now. I know what it takes to make these things and from my perspective this stuff is a bargain. A friend of mine bought an Apple II, Centronics printer and a hard drive for $7,000 back in the mid 80’s, now they are around $700. My perspective is different

Getting nickle and dimed, like I am from cable companies, pisses me off, so I understand your feeling. And now prices are going up on everything after covid has subsided, and now everyone is making up for it, that is getting on my nerves.

My wife and I have gone to the Ukraine Museum in NY to paint Easter eggs just as something different to do. Nice people, we had a nice time, and now I see this news. I try and keep my anger in perspective but I still get annoyed at the small things.

Hang in there, sorry to hear about another annoyed person, we all have good reason to be annoyed and we are all allowed to be annoyed.

wyze constantly refuses a person to log in
says incorrect password
lying pos
i have this information written down
they just want people logged in that will glorify their [Mod Edit] products

[Mod Note]: Post edited to conform to the Wyze Community Guidelines

Does Wyze disclose specifics about what the firmware is fixing? If so, where can that information be found?

So it’s “pretty much industry standards”?.. Fine… But I am not an industry…just a simple home owner who really doesn’t want to be bothered with all this… And, I know, I could use a different product. The first thing I’m told when there’s a problem with my camera is to download the most recent version of whatever it is…firmware, software.
Many times I’m dead in the water because I don’t really understand what it is I ought to be looking for. I think the technical approach to customer service is a mistake. Put me be in contact with someone who can “translate” down to my level. The terse (for example) …“create a log”…copied verbatim from what I see when I Googled the question prior to contacting Wyze, means nothing to me. I try to be worthy of Wyze,…really I do! But I can’t help but feel I’m failing…!!!

I agree that Wyze has difficulty in maintaining a well-educated staff (customer service types) who are both technically proficient – and ALSO understand how to speak with clients in an appropriate manner. You often fine one or the other – and when I find both – I thank you a lot for their excellent assistance.

I’ve created a log – and the tech walked me thru where to go to do just that. I realize that I’m simply sending data to them, and we don’t get direct feedback from the log. I believe others review multiple logs and look for correlations of errors that may point to a need for new updates.

As I’ve said previously on the forums – I get tired (Very Tired) of the constant barrage of updates. When it’s working – just leave it alone. All of my products are working well currently – and I’m ignoring the updates for now. For many of us – it’s a kind of love / hate relationship w/ Wyze.

When struggling w/ tech support – you can always call back and see if the next person is a bit more attuned to your needs.

Thanks for the suggestion! Never thought of calling to see who’s next in que for me. Be well, happy and peaceful…!

You’ve got it bass ackwards. It’s not you who’s failing Wyze but Wyze who’s failing you when it chooses not to disclose what it’s patching or fixing in its updates. That lack of information makes it impossible for you to make an informed decision about whether you think it’s worth the risk of implementing vs ignoring the update until you are ready.

That’s a decision Wyze deprives all users of the right to make for themselves when it chooses to hold its cards so close to its vest that it fails to treat its customers with enough respect to make their own decisions about the potential risk vs reward we are willing to subject ourselves to.

“Just do it because we say so,” is an outdated paternalistic model that not even doctors or dads can expect to get away with anymore. It suggests an attitude of “you’re too stupid to understand or make good choices and we don’t have the time or interest to include your preferences or give you enough info to make your own decisions” making us entirely impotent to know and judge for ourselves what is actually in our own interests, a position that would be less torturous if the updates were better tested and made more reliable prior to release.

1 Like

Here:

2 Likes

Ah. Thanks so much. Is that info pushed to customers along with the notice to upgrade/update?

I FINALLY got both Cam v2 upgraded to current software. Now one of the cameras won’t connect and I keep getting an error code 90!! Tells me to check my internet connection or power cycle camera!

WILL THESE PROBLEMS EVER END???

1 Like

Just as an experiment, have you tried testing your cams’ connection stability by temporarily placing them near your router? It’s the easiest way I can think of to eliminate whether it’s a signal strength issue.

Personally, I live in an area where the internet service is frequently up and down. So there are many links in the chain of connectivity between my cams and the cloud that can bear culling out for me.

Not to ignore that backbone and AWS failures crop up from time to time too.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll try what you suggested. The problem cam is downstairs and only about 25ft from my router.

1 Like

Tell me about it. It’s as if a whole bunch of people caught the disease called GREED.

Sorry, I missed your post.

No, the information isn’t pushed, just a link to the firmware page where you need to look for the update. Even worse for the beta firmware.

I was an early adopter and supporter of Wyze. An update a few months ago bricked several of my V2 cams…almost like they designed it to do that. Stupidly, I “upgraded” to V3 and have other issues to deal with now like the AI being completely broken. Wyze is now a total joke of a company and I would not recommend to anyone.

I’m pretty convinced Wyze is just an empty address with no functioning office that outsources everything—including its hardware, software, AI and support—to other companies and makes money off of its cloud services—also outsourced. Likely owned by a hedge fund or some other such profit-only business. They’re pushing out crap product that was probably designed and manufactured overseas and simply slapping their brand on it to sell it. Look at all of the complaints they get. Hundreds or more likely thousands. And yet nothing ever changes. They’re just profiting off our continued naivety as we buy whatever the new product of the week is while allowing business partners do all of the actual (exceptionally subpar) work, taking whatever percentage off the top and blithely and consciously screwing their customers.

I don’t think that about Wyze at all. I think that they develop a product, I think they may (at least in the past) have developed the software in house. But I think they move on, new products are released and the staffers move on to the new hardware and give less support to the legacy stuff (from a few months ago). I think that the only way they can adequately support their products are either to charge more for it or to stop moving to new products until the old ones are stable (or both). They probably think that the bulk of incoming money comes from the new products and they are forced to keep moving forward. But, I have traditionally been a bleeding edge kind of techie, so I can put up with a few problems. As long as I have faith that they are working on the problems. There are problems where I think they under engineered their hardware, like the original sensors, there was just nothing they could do to fix the problem other than to replace ones that were still under warranty.

Up until my V2 got borked by that update, I was looking at purchasing three V3 and one outdoor camera.
The lack of support changed all of that.
I had also recommended the cameras to two friends and to my employer for stationing around our facility.
Sadly, I had to rescind those recommendations.
I called Wyze at the start of this issue and was left on hold for a full forty-five minutes and still no one picked up the call.
I found that unacceptable.

2 Likes

Agreed. NEVER update the firmware. Never. It just screws with things that used to work. When I was updating the firmware—I gave up months ago—I wanted it just for my cameras. But the firmware release notes would often also refer to plugs, scales, etc. Why not just release firmware solely dedicated to cameras, firmware solely dedicated to plugs, firmware solely dedicated to scales, etc. The shotgun approach they’re taking when it comes to releasing firmware cannot be beneficial. I’d in fact argue the opposite. But nobody from Wyze reads these complaints anyway, so ¯_(ツ)_/¯