Suggestion- quit updating app and cameras if they are working

there have not been any “forced” updates, you always have the option. If you can figure out how to do it go back 6-9 months to an earlier version

Wrong. It already happened.

Wrong.

That should still be possible. However it may just get the forced update again.

I have not touched my detection zone settings since long before the recent forced updates. Based on your comment and out of curiosity I launched the Wyze app (I almost never use it) to see what my current zones look like.

1. Strangely the app auto-updated even though it was not downloaded through the Amazon app store (it was sideloaded) and I had removed the Play Store from this Fire tablet. I didn’t think that was possible.

2. My detection zones seem to be just as I left them, defined rectangles, although those same rectangles are now presented to me as part of the new grid pattern.

3. Regardless, my zones have been working well even after the forced updates.

Agree 100 percent.

Too late…the last update suggested by Wyze ‘hosed’ one of my four V2 cameras.
It simply did not come back up after the update.
It also reported error 90.
I followed all the steps listed…downloaded, extracted and renamed the file to a freshly formatted (FAT) card as demo.bin.
Held the reset button and plugged in the cable as stated.
Light went Amber released as stated. Light went blue flashing. Waited for half hour…still flashing blue.
Camera seems to be lost to update.
Irate about a supposed update bricking my camera.
Held for 45 minutes last evening and no one picked up my troubleshooting call to tech support.
That’s even worse.

1 Like

my camera no longer works either
they were all ok until the required updates
now none work
updating the app made things worse too
what junk wyze is now and they don’t give a [mod edit]
just [mod edit] things up with the [mod edit] this and that if you want the camera to work
got news 4 u wyze
you are not the only ones who sell cameras
i have the money to buy more
but not yours

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines.

1 Like

Sure, wyze cams are inexpensive, but they’re also often inoperable (thanks primarily to firmware updates, which I recommend NOT installing), so what’s the point? Even the rudimentary AI wyze uses sucks—and it’s actually not wizardry to develop basic and functional AI models like wyze uses.

I’m going with another, albeit costlier, vendor that actually cares about what it designs, manufactures and supports, and doesn’t rush stupid things like gun cases out into the market before ensuring its core products work properly. The notion behind wyze wasn’t horrible, but its execution is.

3 Likes

I don’t think you can win this game, if you don’t update your cameras and app, then Wyze may update something on their servers that break the app/camera software if it is too old. The best bet is to keep your devices updated but wait a week or so after new software comes out to upgrade. I on the other hand put the Beta software on as soon as it is available. I haven’t had that many problems. I also have to keep Tinycam updated.

I don’t update unless I have to. Unless Wyze itself or its P2P providers are compromised, ancient firmware is perfectly safe behind my cheap ISP provided router.

Kind of a moot point now that they forced the updates though.

So with all the brouhaha about the “massive security vulnerability” in the cameras, which is it: Leave my cameras alone or patch for the issue?

Oh patch for sure. Benefits mostly outweigh the risks for most people.

1 Like

Man, do I agree…! Everything was fine for a while…they they start tinkering again. On top of this, I was running 2 Cams then I was gifted a camera. I enrolled in Cam Plus for this camera, and then couldn’t apply Cam Plus to the gifted camera. Some sort of bookkeeping thing I’m thinking, but they wanted a log of the event and asked me to try and re-create it. As if. I ended up cancelling the 3rd subscription. I just want to enjoy these wonderful little cameras…too much angst…!

I am a bit annoyed that despite them now stating the update was problematic and they’re working to fix it, nobody bothered picking up the phone…even after a full 45 minutes on hold.
This is the first firmware update I have ever had a problem with from Wyze…and there have been many.
I typically let the system update all cameras at the same time. They usually reboot and come right back on.
This time, camera #4 never came back up.
That call was actually my first ever to Wyze for customer support.
The fact it went unanswered, does not instill a lot of confidence for future purchases.
Weren’t these folks at one time known for product innovation and good customer service?

3 Likes

I experienced the same thing with my v2 cam firmware update! Very frustrating!

This happen to me , cameras were fine until the March 16 update but I have read there is a security leak with Wyze cams if they do not push the patches,

I worked IT at a fortune 500 company for 30 years, 10 as a manager, we supported over 2,000 servers. Our rule was the same, if there are no issues, nothing in the error logs, don’t change anything, don’t upgrade the firmware. We would research what the firmware was fixing, and if that was not our issue, we didn’t use it. That is pretty much an industry standard safe practice. But security patches were the opposite, we would patch test servers immediately, and check server performance, also a best practice. So test one camera to be safe and sure if you use your common sense and think there is a need.

2 Likes

the only nice thing about the cameras was the fact you got 12 sec of recording free
as stated on the box
now wyze has taken that away
and if you want it back
you have to pay
and people that pay
still don’t have it
what a piece of crap company
lying constantly
and feeding bs as support
not answering calls
or the reports they ask for
other than the generated robot responses

That is the exact firmware which killed my camera.
I did the update based on the note about security.
It is absolutely astounding to me that no notices came out to registered owners about patch difficulty, when it seems to be a known issue.

1 Like
2 Likes

I see a load of angry notes and get angry too. But I’m 70 now and have seen a few sides of a few things. I have Cam Plus on three cameras for about $15 a year and the rest of the cameras, five of them, cost me $1.25 total for cam plus lite each month. For what I have experimented with, and what charges can be, this is low. But when you are used to free is irratitating.

They made a mistake in offering free recording in the beginning and they made a mistake in offering very low hardware prices with a razor thin profit margin. When the chip shortage hit everyone they nearly went bankrupt. They made a mistake and made pricing changes in order to survive. I see hardware priced the same as ours but with specs less then what we get. The V3 is a crazy good bargain from my perspective, love the night vision, time lapse, ability to constantly monitor my backyard.

I paid for TinyCam pro for a one time price that lets me play around with this hardware and that too is an incredible bargain to me, only because I have been at it for decades, prices for tech used to be crazy expensive.

I understand people feel screwed around with. I’ve experimented with electronic since I was 16 and I’m 69 now. I know what it takes to make these things and from my perspective this stuff is a bargain. A friend of mine bought an Apple II, Centronics printer and a hard drive for $7,000 back in the mid 80’s, now they are around $700. My perspective is different

Getting nickle and dimed, like I am from cable companies, pisses me off, so I understand your feeling. And now prices are going up on everything after covid has subsided, and now everyone is making up for it, that is getting on my nerves.

My wife and I have gone to the Ukraine Museum in NY to paint Easter eggs just as something different to do. Nice people, we had a nice time, and now I see this news. I try and keep my anger in perspective but I still get annoyed at the small things.

Hang in there, sorry to hear about another annoyed person, we all have good reason to be annoyed and we are all allowed to be annoyed.