Stop requiring Facebook for Beta testing

We have tried multiple platforms for hardware testing and, for now, Facebook is still the one that works the best for our needs. I have been keeping an eye out for other options, though!

But I am 100% willing to work with folks who have workarounds for not having their own Facebook account. @bharper0082, sounds like the business profile your wife has would do the trick. I can make a note in applications for accepted testers if the Facebook name doesn’t match the name I have on record and I do it often. Many people change their Facebook names to be a bit different (or VERY different!) from their real one. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m in the Beta testing group as well and use my wife’s FB account because I didn’t have an account either. Gwendolyn is great for workarounds. :smiley:

1 Like

OK, I’m confused. I have been a beta tester for over a year on both my android and iPhone and have never needed facecrap (and never will). So what is it that requires facecrap?

1 Like

It’s for hardware testing not software testing

Ah yes, I have a vague recollection of that when I first got involved. Guess that’s why I’m not a hardware beta tester - I WILL NEVER USE FACECRAP!!!

1 Like

Not making promises but we are trying a pilot for a beta platform. If this doesn’t work, we’ll go back to the drawing board. But we’re feeling optimistic. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I’d love to help beta test products! Only problem… i’m in Canada. :confused:

What, really, you need Facebook to be a beta tester? Seriously? Nope nope nope nope nope.

5 Likes

That’s some good news! Looking forward to beta testing without Facebook in the future!

3 Likes

This would be great!

2 Likes

What’s hard about making a fake account on Facebook? All you need the account for is to join the beta test group. It’s been working great for the beta testing I’ve been doing. Other platforms might cost Wyze money and I’m sure they are looking for the cheapest option.

? Platform? They already have a userid / e-mail address for every (non mask) customer / app user. Not to mention a private web forum. Really not sure what you mean here.

As to fake accounts, yeah no thanks. (They’re explicitly against the terms of service, morally icky, and likely to be shut down without warning.)

Nothing is hard about creating a fake account. But Facebook is notorious for tracking your devices activity even if you just use the web to access Facebook. If you actually use the app on say your phone you instantly give Facebook your location, contacts, calendar you name it. Facebook euphemistically calls it “off Facebook activity”. It is a virus not a social network.

1 Like

Agreed. I won’t have FB on any of my devices, just one old spare sandbox PC. I find this easier than wasting a virtual machine on it.

What do you think of the “Facebook Container” feature in Firefox for the desktop?

I think the container is well intentioned but ultimately doomed to fail. Facebook has many times the budget and manpower of Firefox and will certainly find a way out of any constraints you try to place on it. I voted with my feet awhile ago and no longer allow Facebook on any of my devices or even my home networks.

I truly believe that Zuckerberg is only motivated by money. He has proven that repeatedly. I think he has plenty and can make do with as little of my money or data as possible. :blush:

3 Likes

:+1: Hadn’t thought of a complete LAN ban, but an excellent thought. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

The last time I was the victim of a reacharound it was Facebook. Ugh.

2 Likes

Count my vote for a “Nerver Face Booker” here!

1 Like

Why is Los Angeles left out of Cascadia? I prefer not to say. :zipper_mouth_face:

This is a very bad idea and will only end up hurting the business more than you think.