Stolen Wyze Camera

You miss my point. If you can spare $70, you won’t take the risk of stealing a $20+ camera.

My father was in Law Enforcement for 40 years. You’d be surprised.

But will you? Most of those who are going to take that risk, and there aren’t that many, won’t have your setup. I certainly won’t take such a risk for $20+.

Sure you won’t. Many will. You can’t expect others to have the same morals you have. That is how your stuff gets stolen.

However, my point stands. Mac Address alone is not a reliable way to identify a camera. It can be changed with off the shelf software available to anyone.

But if you go back to my post, I didn’t say that it’s hard to clone a MAC address. It’s that it’s not worth doing it for such a low price. After fencing that stolen $20 camera, it’s probably worth $5.

Edit - My point here is that, people who steal these cameras, they don’t even know what a MAC address is.

[Stolen camera]
[Stolen WyzeCam delivery - can Wyze identify the cameras?]

Those two threads are a good read on the topic, if you’re interested. The question made me curious, so I searched the forum to see if it had been answered. If not, I was going to experiment with it myself, but it looks like @Loki already did.

@WyzeGwendolyn - Is this definitely still the way it works? If I understand correctly, someone who steals your camera and then connects it to a different account will, in the process, delete every trace of the device in your account. Is that right? If so, that seems like a pretty big security flaw. I realize it’s probably a pretty rare scenario, but if that were to happen, it seems like it would be more important than ever to retain access to your cloud recordings, in hopes that the cameras may have caught footage that could help identify the thief. It certainly shouldn’t be possible for the thief to be able to wipe the slate clean without direct access to your account.

Apparently that it deletes the old account at the conclusion of the setup process.

In order to do that, it must be able to connect the new, to the old, account. How does Wyze do that? I’m tempted to say email address. But what if the user switched email address?

Apparently, the old account is still deleted. Which suggests Wyze is comparing MAC addresses.

Well that sucks, I’m sorry a thieving piece of crap did that to you , but there is no way to track it.
If someone were to steal my big screen smart TV , I don’t think there’s a way to track that either , I don’t think it’s that smart :slightly_smiling_face:

It doesn’t delete your ACCOUNT, it just removes the DEVICE from your account. (That’s my understanding anyway, assuming it still works the same way as when @Loki tested it. I don’t really want to lose my recordings to test it myself.) To set up the new camera, our theoretical thief wouldn’t need to know anything about your old account, though. It’s just that the process of connecting your camera to a new account would remove the camera’s association with your account – and apparently a side-effect is losing your access to previously stored cloud recordings.

1 Like

It doesn’t really matter if the account is deleted or the device is simply taken off the account. What matters is that Wyze is able to connect the two accounts, even if you switched email addresses.

How is the connection between two accounts determined? It can’t be email addresses, as Wyze seems to be able to connect them even if the email addresses are different. I can only think of MAC addresses being the common denominator.

It is correct that when a camera is set up to a new account, the old account loses access t any previous cloud video clips. If you contact Support, they may be able to retrieve the videos for you.

1 Like

Now I’m a little lost. I’m not really sure what you’re talking about here. Connect which two accounts? And what about switching email addresses? There aren’t any “connections” between Wyze accounts, aside from the fact that you can “share” a camera with another user.

Pardon, but I mistakenly thought your post was related to the subthread about tracking stolen cameras using MAC addresses …

That’s really odd behavior. Honestly, I’d consider that to be serious enough to classify it as a security flaw. They really need to come up with a better solution than that.

The most obvious behavior, to me, is to say that a camera can only be owned by one account. If someone tries to set it up when it’s already owned by an account, the owner account would need to confirm that it is okay with removing the camera before it can be added to another account. That’s how Blink cameras work, (cameras have to be removed from the system first) and I’d assume other systems are similar.

I realize that this technically has the potential to cause a few headaches with people who purchase things aftermarket from people who failed to remove the camera from their account, but it’s really not unusual at all for devices to behave like that.

I tend to agree with what you’ve said. I have created a new #wishlist topic. Please hop over there and vote for it (button at the top).

3 Likes

Thanks. Everyone please click the link through from @Loki’s message above to vote for this!

The thing is , when a camera stolen you still have time to access the clips and download what you need .
I don’t think if someone steals Camera there gonna rush right home and set it up 30 minutes later

Probably not, but it’s a security flaw either way. The owner may not find the scene right away, for one thing. But the other problem is that it leaves the door open for nefarious people who are AWARE of the flaw to exploit it intentionally. (In which case, yes, they would disassociate it from the original account immediately – connecting over a VPN, if they were smart about it. Haha.)

I’m not saying it’s likely to happen. It’s not. But it’s still a security flaw. And it’s certainly not inconceivable that if that information wound up in the hands of the type of person who would burglarize someone’s house in the first place, it would be possible for that person to exploit it. They might even keep their eyes peeled for an opportunity to take advantage of it.

@marcussewell, I am very sorry to hear that your Wyze Cam was stolen. I remember how much trouble it was to get it for you. :frowning:

I apologize for my delay here. The reason support won’t be able to recover your videos is actually the same reason that you won’t be able to access them if the Wyze Cams are set up on a different account. To access the video, you need to have both the account the video is connected to and the Wyze Cam that recorded it on the same account.

Thank you for making that Wishlist topic, Loki. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So just for some redundant clarity, are these currently accurate if Cam is stolen?

Victim has access to “cloud clips” (maybe thief’s face) until Cam is activated on different account, then forever gone…

Thief never has access to “cloud clips”, just videos on mSD card if used…

Thx