Stolen camera

If somebody steals my Wyze camera, can they reset it to a new account and use it?

Can I lock the camera to make it useless if it is stolen?

5 Likes

Good question

If you keep the scan code on the box there is good possibility you will be able to identify your camera in the future “if” it is ever removed without your permission for any reason. Each camera has a unique QR scan code associated with that camera. A report to Wyze Cam can easily identify that camera and QR scan code, whether or not they can access cameras by this code yet is unknown to me. Further, local authorities may be able to access the user IP info on the cam and obtain address information if retrievable from Wyze Cam. Seems to be logical. A very good question indeed.

Thanx and 73’

Tuna

1. In the real world, I don’t think local authorities are going to give a flip about a $20 camera.
  2. Wyze isn’t going to give a flip about a $20 camera, not to mention the legal issues in proving the rightful owner or shutting down the right or wrong owner’s camera. Nor would that be something they would want to advertise.
  3. There isn’t a trend of thieves going around stealing cameras.

[Mod Edit]

I was merely stating the facts. And, if you (anyone) put(s) your camera in reach, outside. There IS the very distinct possibility someone might know how the Wyze Cam works to WiFi/MicroSD card and steal the device.

So don’ t tell anyone to relax. Proper security is not acheived by relaxing. It is about being alert at all times. You, on the other hand, may relax if you so choose.

Thanx and 73’

Tuna

7 Likes

The ninjas just aren’t out there stealing WyzeCams.

Wyzecams are not security devices. You can’t view multiple cameras unless you use third party apps. The number of false alarms is so high, they turn off alerts for five minutes and restrict alert videos to ~12 seconds. Preaching “proper security” about using Wyzecams is just not being serious. These little cameras have their place, but confusing that with “proper security” would be a mistake.

Your opinions are noted, but, they are merely your opinions, and not based upon fact.
Has anyone ever stolen a Wyze Cam?
That is a question neither you, nor I, can accurately answer, unless
we’ve had a Wyze Cam stolen, or know of someone who has had one stolen.
I have no intention of getting into a debate with you over these issues.

(1.) The QR code is unique to each camera
(2.) There is some record of this QR code somewhere electronically, as well as on the original box
(3.) The QR code information can be, and is used, to identify each individual camera upon activation
(4.) A Wyze Cam, (and any other camera) may be stolen, if placed, in an accessible location outside, thereby rendering it impossible for the Wyze Cam owner to retrieve data from said camera, or from the cloud, since access to data is granted through internet connection of said camera, or by µ-SD card access internal to the camera
(5.) Theft is theft, dollar amount notwithstanding, each report filed must be investigated, if only on some priority based level

These are all facts.

As the old saying goes… free advice is worth every penny!

Thanx and 73’

Tuna

4 Likes

Although I disagree that all reports will be investigated, please keep going. You’re validating my point.

Can only tell you what the law states, not, whether, or not, it is reality.
and I never said government was honest or trustworthy.
I’m glad you feel validated.
I’ve accomplished something productive and positive today
Give me a little gold star!

Thanx and 73’

Tuna

lol, not what I said, but I’ll give you a gold star anyway.:star:

This isn’t true for the cloud videos. Access isn’t granted through the connection to the camera, it’s through the Events section of the app and its connection to the cloud. If I unplug my camera, as if it were stolen, the cloud videos are still there. At what point are you saying they are no longer accessible?

If the camera is re-setup to a different account, then its cloud videos are associated to that new account and therefore you lose access to them.

1 Like

SMH. I tried.

So they’re doing a simple select on the MAC address and ignoring the associated account and date? That should be an easy fix. I do mean fix, not enhancement. Wyze obviously has no physical control over the camera or microSD, but complete control over the video they’re sending out. Not only could they be sending video to the wrong people, they’re nullifying the main benefit of claiming 14 days free cloud storage.

It should also be a warning (until fixed) to anyone giving these cameras away and thinking they’re safe by pulling the microSD. People putting them inside anyway. I would think more are given away than stolen.

I know this is definitely on the list to be fixed. I don’t know the timing though.

3 Likes

I took a stab at some options:

Also, there could be an option “Format on power up” that could be triggered by the owner of the MAC address, should the MAC address attempt to go through the setup routine. Otherwise, the camera will not connect to the stored wifi and wouldn’t receive the command.

2 Likes

That’s a good point: if someone steals your camera then activates it on a new account, is that other account able to see the videos stored in the cloud from the original account??

Ideally, there should be features to:

1. Assign a camera to a user account
  2. Share the view/control of a camera with another account (by invite only)
  3. Delete or release control of a camera from an account (so it can be owned by someone else)
2 Likes

#1 It gets assigned to an account when the original owner does the setup now. If the MAC is assigned to an owners account, don’t let it be added to a new user until it gets deleted from the original account.
#2 already exists
#3 is called “Delete Device” under settings. Once this is done the new owner can add it. Until then, they can’t see cloud videos and the original owner can delete them before deleting the device. Keep it simple. All of this should be accomplished by checking for the existence of the MAC during setup and tossing an error if it still exists.

Your account is your account. The camera is just the device that uploads to your cloud on your account. What’s stored in the cloud is only the 12 sec notifications, now called “events”. Those don’t vanish if your camera is stolen, dies, get unplugged etc. Events remain in your cloud for 14 days before they get automatically deleted.

If someone stole your camera the only thing they would get access to would be whatever is on the SD card in the camera. As for using the camera, they would need to do a hard reset on the camera, download the app, and set up the camera. But it won’t give them access to your account. Once the camera is reset it is as if came fresh from the factory.

In my opinion, locking a Wyze camera to a user account is overkill for a $20 device. It’s not an iPhone X. What would it be worth on the black market? Not to mention that there will probably be a 12 second clip of the thief saved to the owner’s cloud! Would a crackhead steal a Wyze camera? Yeah, probably. But you are more likely to have your lawn chair or garden hose stolen first.

1 Like

Brent, apparently you missed this:

Which means, the advertised 14 days of cloud stored video becomes as worthless as the stolen SD card for identifying who may have “done it.” Now, for a stolen $20 camera, I doubt anyone is going to put much effort into tracking it down. But, if it is a violent felony or other major felony and they took the camera, the advertised 14 days of cloud storage needs to be available to the person that purchased the camera.

1 Like

Has anyone actually verified that by hard resetting their own camera and seeing if their cloud stored footage disappears? I know I can physically disconnect my own camera and the cloud remains intact,

If resetting the camera causes footage on the cloud from that particular device to be deleted, then that means Wyze software is seeing the MAC address from a device that was previously associated with a different account and deleting any cloud footage generated by that device regardless of what account it is stored on. If the camera/software can communicate that well, it would seem much easier (and safer for the rightful owner) to just get a pop up message on the app saying “a camera registered to your account is being reset. Is this you?”.