Stealth WyzeCam

can you tell there’s a wyze in there? i think i’ll be adding an extension cord (the wyze one looks awesome) for extra stealth to move it from the outlet. i love it

10 Likes

WOW it took me a while to find it…AWESOME!!

2 Likes

Proto Type #1 for my ring cam.

5 Likes

Nice job. For future reference, the 1/4 inch black circle under the main lens isn’t connected to anything, so you can cover that and not have any white showing.

1 Like

I assumed it was a light sensor.

Instead of fabing a new housing just use some electricians tape, etc to cover up the white part. How’d you run the power wire?

Ps the close up of the install doesn’t show the Lego person, or whatever it is :slight_smile:

I already have a new housing laid out on the Micarta ready to snap so I can redo that cutout.
My garage is beside that wall so I drilled through for power wire. I did not have the lego man on those initial closeup pictures. It was a random thought of a way to draw the persons eyes towards the lens as they approach. I can say it works. Yesterday’s amazon delivery the driver looked right at it. It was funny because he seemed pissed that his eyes got drawn to it.

1 Like

I want to see that video :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Consider using false labeling. Paint the camera black, glue some short pieces of wire vertically and
horizontally across the front of the camera to look like a grill. Don’t cover the lense or mike hole.
Print and attache a lable such as “Air Sensor”

3 Likes

I ordered this birdhouse off Amazon. The camera fit perfectly inside. I just moved and haven’t set it back up but this is what it looks like. 20190810_111405

8 Likes

Very nice. You may want to caulk the gap at the roof peak to help reduce rain intrusion.

Yeah, I should have spent some more time on it… I just wanted to toss something outside before I had left town that week (I’m only home on weekends). Wanted something so my girlfriend could see who’s outside and something pointed at the cars. Thankfully it was under the eave. When I get some more time I’ll take it apart and redo it… Add a better way to hang it as well, I was just using the power cable lol.

I just bought a Camasker for Wyze Cam. It looks just like a plant but it’s a housing cover that protects and hides your Wyze Cam.

6 Likes

Cam V3 in Newspaper Box

I am lazy. I don’t want to walk the 30 steps to get my newspaper without knowing its there. So, I mounted a V3 inside the newspaper box that is attached to the side of my garage. I was lucky, there was an electrical outlet near that location inside the garage. So, I drilled a hole though the wall, plugged in a Wyze plug and an adapter into it. Ran the cable from inside the box through the walls and plugged it in.

Inside the box, you can easily see the V3 facing you. Just to its left on the bottom of the box is a black piece of tape to block/reduce the recognition of movement. I have a Wyze Sense V1 motion sensor there. Its facing the side of the camera and the tape impedes the motion just enough to remove the false positives that would trigger it. All are mounted with Velcro and makes it easy to adjust or remove as needed. I used the flash to take the pictures, otherwise, day or night, you can’t see the camera walking past it.

So, when the newspaper arrives and my person sticks it in the box, the motion sensor triggers two announcements on Echo devices each in a bedroom and the office area. And a text notification goes to the phone. The announcement informs me the paper is here. And anytime I wish, I can view with the camera. Not that you can see it here, but the camera points towards the wooden gate entrance for the sidewalk that comes to my front door. So, I get a recording of the comings and going in and out that gate.

Of course the gate also has a Wyze Contact Sensor V1 mounted in a black plastic box with a strip magnet on the fence. It too triggers announcements to Echo devices in the garage, the kitchen, the office area and the bedroom. The trigger also informs Alexa to Display the Box Cam on one Echo Show, and the Sidewalk camera on a Fire tablet.

I’d be sitting pretty if Wyze would just make a newspaper delivery person to replace mine that only puts the paper in the box about half the time.

Whata ya think?

3 Likes

Hidden Porch Light Cameras

I have a rectangular box like porch light. It has one A19 standard bulb socket. So, I used it to power two Wyze V3, an Echo Dot, a 6 port USB power brick/110V and a Wyze bulb. All that stuff is stuffed up inside the box from the bottom. Oh, and there also two grey flat 10’ USB cables running outside the box, up the wall, (covered by duct tape & painted to match) along the porch ceiling to two more Wyze V3’s (not pictured).

The light exterior has two 5/8” holes drilled about 1.5” from top and side for the camera lens to appear. The exterior is aluminum and would not hold the camera base’s magnet. I tried Velcro and double-sided tape, but I could not adjust the cameras’ position to insure max view. So, after several bad choices, I found some hard steel strips and used Gorilla double sided to attach them to the inside. Fortunately, the slight offset of the camera base folded straight down made it fit flat against the drilled opening. Perfect. (One of the V3’s was painted with grey paint before used inside the light.

The power brick powers four Wyze cameras and the Echo Dot. Velcro holds the power brick and the Dot in place. Big enough pieces of Velcro make it difficult to get them out when I need to do something. So, they stay put.

In one porch light picture you can see a Wyze Sense V1 painted to blend and on the leeward side of the light, so no one notices it. This triggers Alexa Routine announcements inside the house for Alexa routines displaying the two light V3’s on a Echo Show and a Fire tablet. Behind the light on the wall, there’s a strip of duct tape up the wall covering two flat 10’ cables going to Wyze V3’s mounted at the ceiling height. Powered from the brick inside the light.

The porch has this light and a recessed light above the doorway. Wyze bulbs in both because the light sockets remain powered all the time. Easy to reset the entire mess just turning off the porch power in either the inside hall or the garage.

From the view inside the light with the bulb, one of the metal strips has a long narrow magnet under the Wyze camera base. That base magnet is weaker than the other. The magnet keeps the camera/base in place.

The Wyze bulbs on the porch are turned on and off from a Wyze contact sensor mounted on the garage door triggered via an Alexa Routine and turns everything off in three minutes.

The insides of the light look like a sloppy mess, but they are out of sight and everything works and stays in place. Handy having an Echo Dot on the front porch – out of sight.

5 Likes

Impressive. I would never notice that, much cleaner than having the Cameras out in the open. Question, what do you use the DOT for? Music?

Well, I often sit on the porch chairs and listen to poor quality music or news, and read the newspaper. And leave the phone inside the house to get away from it once in a while. So, Alexa is handy to answer the question, “what’s the time?” And I have a Kiwkset e-lock (for years). The Dot allows me to command the door is locked, unlocked, open the garage door or close the garage door from the porch. I’m just so lazy, and there was room for the Dot. Dot’s are only $15 on ebay or on Amazon sale.

4 Likes

+1 for the lego wizard!

Would you mind posting a little bit more about how you made the hidden cam and the bottle and anything about the mention of your acoustic foam? Please and thank you in advance

Another trick. How about buying dummy cameras? About $15 for four.

It distract the attention instead of Wyze and it looks real. Theif will go other houses instead of yours. Remember they want to get the easy house first before the harder one.

1 Like