StarLight Sensor

That how it all started. The quality just went down almost overnight. I reached out to Wyze and sent them a video clip. They sent me a replacement right away. The replacement seems to fair better, but the old camera just totally died.

2 Likes

Well, I’m still wondering if the lighting conditions changed in some way I just haven’t figured out so I’m reluctant to seek replacement for now but I will be watching closely.

The exposures are different,
it is probably the backlight compensation changes in the firmware, fixed to allow more blowout so that shadow detail would be improved. There are common cases where foreground objects are brightly illuminated by the IR (or other) lamps resulting in the rest of the image being too black.

Read the FW change logs to track it down.

1 Like

Thanks, @PaulGrace , that fits my observation.

:scream: Huge spider. Burn the house. LOL.

For all those watching this topic, I have posted the issue to this month’s Fix-it Friday thread.

If you are still experiencing this issue, feel free to follow the link, like the post with a heart coin, and add your experience in a reply post (if you are so inclined).

1 Like

I thought it would be beneficial too show how bad the quality of day time recording is due to artifacts introduced in the latest compression algorithms.

1 Like

What KB/s rate is the cam running in live view. This V3 is running 151 down to 75 KB/s.

Mine a running from about 79 all the way down to 16 in SD quality.

I don’t use SD quality. :grin:

I don’t have a choice. The upload speed at my cottage is to slow for HD. In live view it skips in like 6-10 seconds intervals.

So I have to wonder if that’s the real issue. I agree your videos above look terrible (the trees in the first one certainly). Do they look as bad when recording to SD card?

Yes they do, both in live view and SD card. The clips that I posted are from SD card.

:frowning: On the bright side your view and your home are just beautiful. :wink:

So when you say the video is from the “SD card”…do you actually have the SD card plugged into a PC and are looking at the actual recording? Or are you just accessing the SD card through the Web and over your slow internet connection?

Honestly, it looks like slow internet to me. The video compression is doing the best it can IMO.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s my cottage. The home is in the city and the view doesn’t even come close :wink:

1 Like

Yes, that might be the case. I am viewing the recording over the internet. I am 600 Km away from the cameras. I will check next week and see the recordings on my Mac.

On a second thought and correct me if I’m wrong. IMO, viewing the content on SD card through the Web shouldn’t matter. The video is being downloaded to the Album on my device. Network speed should not affect quality, only download speed to my device. Therefore, whatever I am seeing on my device (previously attached clips) is a true representation of what is being recorded on the SD card.

Here is someone else having the same issue as me, scroll down to the bottom of the post and watch the video. I have a feeling that Wyze cams have a really poor compression algorithms when there is constant movement as trees moving in the wind and shadows constantly changing.

I can’t really say if downloading to an album works that way or not. You would hope it would buffer and download full quality,…but it may simply send a request to the camera and record what comes back real-time, similar to the way an SD card playback request works. I would venture inserting the SD card into your computer will give you the ultimate answer.

Try cleaning the lens?