Standalone temperature sensor

I think I saw… in a video a hint for a stand alone temperature ( and humidity ? ) sensor. If the sensor was a WiFi direct without a bridge, and battery OR wired power I could place in my garage ( I winter pets and plants ) and also in 2 outbuildings ( one is a greenhouse) on my property. Even battery powered, periodic reporting would be adequate. Upper/lower alarms. I could also replace an indoor/outdoor Bluetooth that reports to a display terminal for my refrig/ and separate freezer. I’m using power line tech to reach far points reliably and have ordered TUYA technology to test this approach until WYZE tech becomes available .

[Mod Edit]: Title and tags modified to enhance search clarity.

I would add that I need this for monitoring cold spaces in my house for potential frozen pipes and/or high humidity damage to certain items stored in those spaces.

1 Like

This would be absolutely awesome. I don’t need home monitoring but I do need remote temperature indicators (humidity not required for me).

1 Like

A problem with WiFi (standalone) sensing devices is that they aren’t very battery-friendly, and a lot of places where people might need a temp (and possibly humidity) sensing device are not going to have a convenient AC outlet.

Devices that use lower frequencies (e.g., 900 MHz) can also potentially have longer range than WiFi. Bandwidth is lower, but that really isn’t an issue when all that is being sent is a number.

The more niche a product is, the more flexible one needs to be on sourcing it, rather than expecting one company to fulfill all needs. There are standalone WiFi devices (not really rated for outdoor use, however), just not from Wyze.

I am aware of other devices - I was just hoping I could use Wyze, but I do understand the battery issue. For me, using 120VAC back-up would not be an issue, but for many it could be. Thank you for the explanation. I can still wish, though!

1 Like

I know about the Wyze climate monitors with the hub and the subscription for central station monitoring.

What I am looking for is temperature monitoring, with some historical data. The application is for a second home, my cabin, if you will. Parts are heated, parts are not. I would like to be able to see what temperatures the unheated spaces get to, and be able to see on a graph whether it is getting below freezing in that space. An alert would be good, and it would be good to be able to download the historical data so that I could plot it against outside temperature and maybe, wind speed.

I do not want or need a central station like with the security points.

I would want temperature range to go from -40 to about 120F.

So, just a wifi sensor that I can add to my app, that records temperatures with time stamps on an SD card to be downloaded or viewed like playback on a camera.

2 Likes

I agree completely with this. There are a number of other newer products that I would like to have available as stand alone devices (work with app, no need for monitoring) as well. Hopefully this is in the offing?

Thanks!

1 Like

The problem with standalone devices is that means they add to the number of WiFi devices one has, and also WiFi is traditionally not as battery-friendly.

When one is purchasing one, two, or perhaps three of low bandwidth devices, a direct connection to WiFi seems like a great idea. When it gets up close to or over the double digits, one might begin to rethink that, and often find the total cost to be comparable (or in some cases, less).

For a single temperature sensor, my Switchbot setup was expensive. Well before I reached the 10 I have now, I couldn’t find a WiFi-based solution that was less. (The breakeven was around the 2-3 mark).

I don’t disagree about wifi, Lonnie. Having a bridge would not be my issue. I just don’t need central station monitoring. 900 mHz is fine, with change-of-value reporting, maybe set at 1 deg F or .5 deg C or something like that, with maybe an hourly poll. That should make AA cells last for years. I would want the bridge to record and time-stamp those readings, though, and allow for alarm setpoints to push to my phone.

There are other wireless sensor protocols, such as EnOcean, which don’t even need a battery, but the range is too limited for the retail market.

There are other 900 mHz systems available, but I’d like to be able to have the things all in one app. Right now, because my house came with them, I have a Ring security cam / floodlight and two Nest thermostats besides all of the Wyze products, so I don’t really want to add a Lacrosse app or something else.

For about 10USD and some elbow greese, one can deploy remote temperature sensors with logging.

Stand alone Room Sensor

I’ve seen people ask on FB if the new Room Sensor can be used on it’s own or not. I nearly bought one until I realized it requires the thermostat to operate. I just searched the wishlist, and roadmap. People have been asking for ways to remotely see temperatures (such as on a camera, or the Wyze Sense Sensor). However, all of those posts are at least a year old.

Which is why I’m posting this idea. I’d like to be able to buy just a room sensor, and be able to view the information on my phone. I don’t need a full on system with a thermostat, or the wyze sense system. Just a simple way to remotely monitor an indoor temperature. Other companies have them, but I’d like to avoid needing 5 different apps just to check on things.

So please, can we can a stand alone version of the new Room Sensor? Or even an update to allow it to work without a thermostat?

4 Likes

The remote sensor does not require the T-Stat. You can get them and they will provide room temp and humidity.

If you decide to pass the T-Stat, please note that you can only pair 6 Remote sensors. Any others will be used as room sensors only.

I purchased 8, 6 are paired and 1 is acting as a standalone room temp sensor.

How did you get the Wyze App to recognize the Wyze Room Sensor. All of the documentation says you need the Thermostat. When I purchased the (3) pack I was told I didnt need it.

[Mod Edit] Post edited to be a reply to previous poster with notification vs replying to the OP/topic.

You can have up to 6 paired with the T-Stat. Any others is a stand alone Tempo and Humidity Device which will not be included in the App. The Temp and Humidity will work once you put the battery into the Remote Sensor.

I’m looking for something that would allow me to view the temperature from my phone. Not just while in the same room. I don’t have (or need) a thermostat.

2 Likes

I have the same need. I would like to view a simple temperature number on wyze app, provided by a usb-powered 36" k-type probe. this would allow to monitor room, fridge, exterior, freezer, pool, HVAC, computer temperature. linking to some kind of notification would be awesome

2 Likes

Remote temperature/humidity sensor

I’d love a temperature/humidity sensor that does not require any kind of hub integration. Just track temp/humidity for me. Skip the fancy stuff.

For example, my shed gets very hot. I’d like to run a ventilation fan when it exceeds a certain temp, or a heater when it gets too cold. Simple. Graphs over time when be an awesome bonus.

Should be outdoor rated, obviously. If you want to make it waterproof enough to put in a pool, we’ll that’s up to you but I bet there’s a market for it.

3 Likes

Thermometer / hygrometer - WIFI enabled & stand alone

I need a stand- alone WIFI thermometer! It will allow me to monitor cold winter temps when I away.
I’ve actually found one from another company but would have preferred a Wyze product so I don’t need a separate app! I love my 3 cameras and 2 scales all in one place for monitoring.

This is tech you already have but it’s connected to a hub… which I don’t need!

stand alone sensor w/o thermostat

Run the room sensor as standalone, allow to monitor from the app, & installed w/o thermostat.

2 Likes

Thank you!! I’ll check it out!