Spotlight issue

Did they ever fix the spotlight issue? I have a couple I bought early on. Both failed in two weeks.

I have 6 spotlights that were removed from service for either staying on all the time or the Wyze app said there was no spotlight installed. Have a spare v3 that I connected one of these spotlights and splitter cable to. The light is recognized and can be turned on and off in the app, so apparently this spotlight was removed when there was nothing wrong with it. So, I grab another spotlight and splitter cable and it too works fine. I am on #3 in my box of defective spotlights and splitter cables. It works fine also.

Wyze had a firmware update 4.36.3.19 on August 28 that ā€œimproved spotlight recognitionā€ and ā€œupdated spotlight settingsā€

Has this firmware update corrected issues other people here were having or are the gremlins out to lunch in my neighborhood?

That is interesting. I removed a spotlight for misbehavior with light staying on or not being recognized - a couple months ago. The V3 which has NO spotlight shows that it does have one (can press ghost spotlight on/off) and even gives the spotlight firmware. Not sure how to clear that from the camera unless reset it as new! But with latest firmware I might as well test the failed one again like you have.

I cannot believe the spotlight issues have not been fixed yet. Seems ridiculous that the spotlight stays on all the time after it is activated. Should be a very basic feature of a spotlight that it only stays on for a short time after activated.

This worked for me. A Standard Samsung adapter that came with my old S10 worked great! I was never able to setup the spotlight but as soon as I put in the more powerful power supply it asked me if I wanted to setup the spotlight!

Thanks Jim777

Three spotlights that have been outside for months are still working. These are on long (42ā€™) miniUSB cables connected to Anker 40 watt chargers. Puzzling why some work and others donā€™t

I just buy it through Amazon now. If it fails within 30 daysā€¦ it goes right back with no hassle. Iā€™m done dealing with Wyze directly.

1 Like

My spotlight turns on just fine except it is outside and will not stay in HIGH mode. I switch it from LOW to HIGH, but it reverts to LOW each time I check on the settings. I have done a power recycle, a soft restart, disconnected it and started my camera and reinstalled itā€¦ all to no avail. The Wyze Wizard was no wizard on this issue!

Was installing another v3 yesterday. Decided to take a v3 / spotlight that worked and move it to the upper driveway where just a v3 was. Wife wanted a light to come on when she got home in the dark. Remember, this v3 and spotlight were working fine. Icon in the app and I could turn it on and off with the app. The move from the back yard to the upper driveway made the spotlight inoperative. Triple checked all connections, verified voltage at camera with USB tester. All were fine. Both cameras are on 20 foot Moyeel microUSB cables.
What changed? The power source for the camera.

The v3 camera / floodlight was on an Anker 40 watt charger. The v3 camera that had no spotlight was powered by this Belkin USB surge protector so it didnā€™t need more than 1 amp.

Apparently the 2.1 amp combined (2 v3 cams with no spotlight were connected to the USB ports on the Belkin) so 1.05 amps is not enough oomph for both a v3 camera and spotlight.

Had a spare Anker 40 watt charger so I plugged that into the Belkin and the spotlight worked. Icon in the app, can turn it on and off. Just to be sure I reconnected the v3 /spotlight back to the Belkin and the spotlight did not work. In fact, the light pulsed.

So many variables. Not sure if a higher wattage USB charger would fix some peoplesā€™ issues, but for now all my spotlights are working fine. YMMV

Ok. Nothing changed from yesterday. The spotlight icon in the app is missing, and the app says there is no spotlight. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

We are in November, and the spotlight for the v3 still has the same issue. At this point Iā€™m not sure if Wyze will do anything about it.

Iā€™m using a 30 ft micro usb cable to power my v3 and the spotlight is not getting recognized at all (despite working during the installation and flashing a couple of times).

Now that I am retired I have more time to get aggravated with my smart home and Wyze cameras.

Update - the RAVPower 30000 mAh USB power bank kept the v3 and spotlight powered up. The spotlight icon was always there, and the spotlight worked as designed. I left it like this for about a week. The camera splitter was connected directly to the USB power bank with a short jumper to convert from USB to microUSB.

My spotlight issue is apparently caused by poltergeists because even though the camera, spotlight, cable, and charger have all been swapped from other locations where they did work. It is the location that is the constant.

I bought a 32 foot USB active extension cable. So far, the spotlight icon is still there, and can be turned on and off.

One more Spotlight fan here. I have 3 and 2 has been working for 7 months with 25ft DIY extensions with no issues. Third one stopped recognizing last week. I bought new v3+spotlight- no luck. Wonā€™t recognize. Unfortunately I donā€™t have another splitter to test. My question if problem in splitter can we power up Spotlight by separately? Or they do communicate with v3 by cable?

Agreed!

In my case seems to have permanently damaged the spotlights!

One constantly blinks, while the other stays on 100% of the time!

In the app both intermittently appear and disappear!

This occurs even after reverting back to the standard usb cable!

Cameras work fine, spotlight not!

So, donā€™t bother to use a longer cable!

They need to be connected as they certainly communicate through the USB cable to the camera. The camera sees it as an accessory and communicates back using wifi.

Resurrecting this from the depthsā€¦ I have a V3 with spotlight accessory. All has been well other than having a faulty camera that had horrible static screeching noise almost all the time in playback. Wyze replaced the camera no issues. But a few days ago the camera stopped working. I figured it just needed a power cycle. I did that multiple times, but no dice. I went to the camera itself and checked all connections. I had the camera connected to a 20 foot cable and swapped it out with a 12 foot cable in its place that Iā€™ve been meaning to do. Camera + spotlight was working fine for months before this, so the long cable is NOT the issue here. Iā€™m also running off a 2A power supply that is identical to the Wyze 1A in appearance, but itā€™s pushing more power. All connections were as firm as could be, spotlight flashes 3 times, but nothing from the camera. I think plugged in the camera directly to the new 12 foot cable and it works perfectly! I still have the defective audio V3 sitting here, so I tried that camera direct to power using the Wyze supplied 6 foot cable and it powers on and works as it should. I plug it into the splitter and then to the Wyze 6 foot cable, and nothing.

I contacted Wyze support via Live Chat, and the support rep did confirm the issue is the splitter, but said that Wyze does NOT have replacements and I would need to find my own splitter cable. WTF!? My spotlight is LESS than a year old and they should be able to replace either the cable (or the whole light if a cable replacement isnā€™t possible). Terrible policy and customer service. They will gladly replace my camera, but not a simple cable? Just seems backwards honestly. In any event, I have no idea if I need a special splitter identical to the one that comes with the spotlight, or if any Micro USB splitter will workā€¦? :man_shrugging:

Its 2023 and these are still worthless junk.
These are cheap junk. Even if you do manage to eventually get them to work, they will soon fail and you will waste lots of time trying to get them recognized. Wyze support is impossible to reach an really worthless. They want you to restart the camera force close the app and check connections. As if people have not tried that.
DONT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY