Solve Robovac charger connection issues

I have my robovac charger on a rug. I used carpet tape to keep the charger in place. However the vac seems to miss the charger about 25% od the time as the vac somehow is lower than the charging blades on the fixed mount. This needs a better adjustment or better solution as I’m sure I am not the only one using the charger on a rug.

[Mod Edit]: Title Modified to Enhance Search Clarity.

I am having the same issues here. I bought 2 robovacs, the one on the 1st floor (hard vinyl) charges fine, however, the one on the 2nd floor (carpet) keeps going back and forth when trying to position itself to charge, 90% of the times w/o success.

I’ll try to swap both between floors to check if is the 2nd floor one that is defective, or if it is a design problem with the charging station.

I was having the same “try try again”… and then give up with a red error message. The failure always occurred on a carpet (my only practical plug-in location) until I used 1/4in white masonite (pressboard) with beveled edges. I then used 10lb/4.5Kg double stick foam tape to adhere the charger base to the board. Problem solved!

UPDATED: 01/22/21:
Problem SolvedNOT !!!

I really thought I had fixed the constant back up and retry charger docking problem ! Twas not to be. Soon after my last posting “BB” (Big Bot) went back to his old “Where’s The Power?” ways !
Very frustrating for BOTH of us.

After a few inspiring sessions in my morning “Think Tank” (nice hot shower)
I decided that what Big Bot needed was a “shower” of his own. Perhaps something just needed to be washed off?

What if the electrical contact strips still had a thin film of something left over from the manufacturing process? Perhaps a little buffing wax (those chromium strips sure did SHINE when I first took BB out of his box)… perhaps a thin layer of oil… or even some kind of poly material?

Bottom line… after applying a little fine grain sandpaper to all contacts my little buddy BB has not failed a 1st time charger docking in the last dozen trials !!! :laughing:

Problem REALLY solved… at last !

3 Likes

UPDATED: 01/26/21:
“Grumble, grumble…”

As they say… “Pride goeth before a fall”… or something similar.

I smugly posted about my “Board Fix” for the charging problem… FAIlED.

I then even more smugly posted about my “Sanding the Contacts” fix… sadly I must admit to have failed… AGAIN.

I can see the small spark that jumps between the contacts just as the bot docks but then a few moments later it will back up and try again… and again… and again… and again… etc. It’s almost like the power detection system does not react fast enough. Perhaps it would help to put in a slightly longer delay before the bot decides that docking has failed? It’s quite obvious that charging HAS started… so why does it ultimately decide that it did not? Guess we’ll just have to allow it to “Try… Try… Try… again” and wait for the Wyze folk to fix this charging kink. The BotVac is great otherwise.

1 Like

I tilted the charger forward about 5 degrees and it works much better. Carpet taped it in place and. Put a pencil under the back edge. All on carpet. Reliable

Harvey

1 Like

WYZE Robot Vacuum: Charging Station with feet that has charging contacts

Hello Wyze Team,

It would be nice if you all developed a Wyze charging station with Feet/an extended base with the charge contacts on them to overcome bad/intermittent contact with its robot vac on fluffy carpeted floor.
The current charging station will only make a good contact and charge/continue charging the robot vac if the ground it’s on is a hard floor or non fluffy carpet. So I suggest developing an alternative charging station where the charging contacts of the charging station and the Wyze Robot vac are on the base and not the front. However, still keep the current one; I’m just suggesting this alternative one for people who have fluffy carpet in their house, so they don’t think there is an issue with the Robot Vac and start calling Wyze customer service or wasting time troubleshooting.

Wyze makes a very nice solution to the problem you mentioned. They make a plastic “runway” that attaches to the base station. THis keeps the contacts on the vacuum aligned and also prevents the wheels from spinning on the floor. They were marking up my hardwood floor, and Wyze sent me one of these for free. It solved the problem. The vacuum pulls up onto the piece and docks easily.

Rick

3 Likes

First I’ve seen of it. Is it on the website?

I don’t know. I contacted them because the rubber wheels were tearing up my maple floor, leaving rubber residue behind. It was impossible to clean without removing the floor finish They sent me the docking runway free of charge.

Thanks Rick Thompson. This is good to know! I’ll contact them for a plastic runway that attaches to the charging station.

By the way, would the Wyze Robot Vac only scratch up your hard wood floor when it was docking or would it do this while cleaning it?

–Zeb

Just while docking.

Hello,

I have my dock on a carpeted area of the floor. The only non carpeted area is a small kitchen and restrooms, neither of which has the space to reasonably dock the vacuum. It takes a few times of attempting to dock before charging, and I feel like it loses the connection sometimes as I will occasionally hear that it is charging randomly. I’ve seen this is common for it being on the carpet as the base is lighter than the vacuum and tends to sort of ‘sit’ higher.

Some have mentioned Wyze sending out a placemat made for this vacuum to resolve the issue (which I’d assume would resolve the issue with black wheel marks on hardwood flooring as well), but when I asked customer service they just kept telling me to factory reset the vacuum and buy a rubber mat for it. I prefer to show off my Wyze products with pride, not ‘here’s this cool vacuum that I had to customize in order to get it to work right’, so shopping for a rubber type of mat that I’d imagine would be square and unsightly isn’t what I wanted to do.

Customer service sent me here to add to the wishlist. Not only would a custom Wyze floor mat help with this carpet issue, it would also help with the black marks on peoples floors and bonus, when/if the mop feature is finally out (I figured it may be as my vacuum occasionally says the dust / water bin has been removed when I clean it), it would provide a resting area for the now wet underside.

Wyze has a mat designed for this purpose. They sent me two of them after the robot vacuum wheels damaged my floor.

image0.jpeg

I contacted wyze and asked for this but they would not provide this and just kept telling me to factory reset or buy a mat for it somewhere else. How can I get them to give me this?