Solar remote live stream

First, thanks to all that contribute to the “Community”. We the new users very much appreciate it. My question: I’m trying to set up a live stream wild game camera. No power or wifi. I can use a solar panel and battery with a charge controller. Problems started with the router. I’m using Cricket (AT&T). Bought the Turbo Hot Spot but it did not work well with the camera. Any suggestions? I thought I seen a post regarding this, can’t find it. There is one very good example but it does not include WiFi. I’m 350 miles from the camera location.
Thanks for the help.

Buy a really cheap WiFi AP that is 2.4 GHz only. OK, you can get a more expensive AP, but get one that is 2.4 GHz only. You don’t really need all that much bandwidth, so nothing fancy needed.

Jim,

Please forgive my ignorance. When you refer to the WiFi AP, what exactly is that device? Are you referring to a hot spot or something the camera will plug into for internet connection?

Thanks,

Brad

Jim,

Looked it up- access point. Got it! Anything special for cricket?

Thanks,

Brad

Almost any AP will work as long as the you get an Ethernet LAN out of your cellular modem.

You should do a quick search here on both hotspots and solar power. Cricket isn’t known as a great data source, and being 350 miles away I’m concerned you might lose expensive solar equipment to theft. Lots of discussions here on solar if you search.

Does the Cricket Hot Spot work well for other things?

I use an AT&T Mobley, essentially the same functionality as the Cricket, and my cameras work fine. I tried using my cell phone as a Hotspot and it worked once but the signal was not strong enough for it to work twice, a few days later at the same spot.
You might need an antenna for the hotspot.

Doesn’t work very well for my phone either. I’ll try tour suggestion. Thanks

Thanks,

Brad