SmartThings Integration

Yes it does.

I just bought two V3 cameras. I am impressed with the quality of the picture but VERY disappointed to find out There is no integration With SmartThings Everything in my house 50+ devices go through ST.
Until A path becomes available I will not be getting anymore. Darn and they seem to be good cameras. :frowning:

3 Likes

This is my current reality: cams/thermostats on Wyze, everything else ST.

1 Like

Same here. I got one just to test it out. It seems nice, but the non-existent ability to integrate with anything else is definitely a deal killer for anyone who has or is setting up a smart home, even in the most simple of setups. The fact that you can’t even turn notifications on or off based on a condition such as you being home is ridiculous (and no-IFTTT is not a solution). That would be a basic building block of smart home 101. Can’t do it via API integration, can’t do it via Alexa, can’t do it via SmartThings, nothing. If they would open up even just one of these possibilities I could get it tied into HomeAssistant, or whatever else you may choose to use. Until then, its still a “dumb” device, and is not smart home ready.

1 Like

Agree. I think you can use HA + something else for motion sensing + RTSP and make it work, but that’s a lot of effort. I’m not there yet

You can’t charge monthly fees to run sprinklers based on the weather forecast if you allow integration with other services like SmartThings that monitor the weather and perform actions based on it for free.

This is 1000% a money grab for Wyze. If they never integrate with other services, they can continue to charge people monthly/yearly fees to do the simplest tasks.

1 Like

This doesn’t surprise me, yet bothers me.
Maybe they are going with the razor/razorblade model: sell reasonably priced stuff, hope for a subscription out of it.
Not a terrible plan, but not my idea of fun.

I don’t care about my sprinkler system checking the weather,
I have a rain sensor to ensure they don’t run when raining, so I won’t be paying for said service anyhoo.

1 Like

Except - Google Nest restricts Smarthings the ability to record motion clips or videos on Google Nest Cams and Doorbells. Only allow view the live stream and mark time when a motion and or sound event occurs. BUT NO IMAGE OR VIDEO CAPTURE ALLOWED OF ANY KIND. Which IMO renders the motion and sound events useless if you can’t see what caused the event.

1 Like

To me, the reality is, if Wyze opened up to Zwave and Zigbee devices…it may work as a ST replacement…but not without opening up to these devices.

1 Like

With my Arlo+SmartThings setup, I use motion detections from Arlo in ST to do other automations (turn surrounding lights on, etc.), and let Arlo handle recording natively. No need to have ST record if it’s recording to the Arlo cloud on it’s own already.

I primarily use Ring cameras. They’re integrated with Home Assistant for automations and handling events, so I can tie them into any number of other devices, routines, automations, etc. I can download videos into Home Assistant if I wanted, but I still use the Ring app and cloud service to view the cameras, timelines, etc.

I would happily still use the Wyze app and even purchase CAM+ annually to view camera feeds and timelines, if the cameras would perform as needed. Primarily I just want to turn notifications for some indoor cameras on or off based on if anyone is home or not. Seems like such a simple task, and with any other cameras I’ve had there have been zero issues getting this setup… yet, not possible with Wyze cams.

1 Like

I’m not familiar with HA, other than it exists…doesn’t it allow RTSP feeds?

1 Like

It does, but I have not had time to mess with it honestly. My understanding is that Wyze is not officially supporting RTSP and last I saw there was not an RTSP firmware available for v3. I would also assume this means you loose out on functionality like motion detection, person detection, etc, unless you’re constantly streaming a feed to something processing and analyzing it, like Blue Iris. I would imagine this would also be pretty taxing in both wifi bandwidth and processing power if you had several Wifi cameras running, I’ve currently got HA running on a RPi4, which is great for running Home Assistant but very doubtful it could handle video processing for multiple cameras.

Again, I haven’t really looked into it, so please let me know if any of my assumptions are wrong. In the meantime, its much easier to plug in a Ring camera and get all the functionality I need ready to go out of the box.

1 Like

All of my v2 cams have the rtsp firmware installed. Phone app acts no differently.
I had them running to Synology’s camera software. Worked great really.
I don’t know if the motion detection on the Synology was from Wyze or Synology.
Doesn’t appear the doorbell cam has this option, but I haven’t looked.

Everybody needs to complete this survey:
#12:
Q: How can Wyze improve?
A: SmartThings Integration!

1 Like

Latest update?
Commitment?
Timeline?
Can we start a crowdfund campaign to encourage/incentivize/kickstart( :wink: ) this effort?

3 Likes

Wish # 1
Slow down. Fix & support what’s broken before you use your resources on wishlists. Reply to tickets.

Wish # 2

Fix google streaming issue of Wyze not streaming on google screens.

Wish # 3
Fix the issue with Outdoor Cam album not working.

Wish # 3
Add Smarthings Integration

Wish # 4
Making v3 Siren useful like tripping automatically when motion is detected.

2 Likes

Please an update on this. I can’t currently recommend Wyze products to friends / family, or purchase them myself, as a closed off smart home ecosystem is a terrible idea and a waste of money. Supporting an open system and cross integration is crucial.

I’m looking to invest in expanding my smart home tech and am looking elsewhere to expand my device footprint.

3 Likes

Same here, I won’t buy any more WYZE devices or recommend to family/friends until we are able to integrate them with existing hubs. Have been burnt before with vendor lock-in and won’t go that route again. Many of the hub vendors have stopped supporting their hubs and with proprietary interfaces then you need to start all over. Need to makes sure that devices offer non-proprietary interfaces.

3 Likes

This article on ZDNET written in 2019 by Jason Perlow of Tech Boiler is even more relevant today than it was then, IMO.

I have been an early adopter for so many Kickstarter programs and have been abandoned by the likes of Blumoo, Bayit, Piper, Snap Cam by Sengled and so many more. Even Samsung / Wisenet Smart Cams have been abandoned. Nixed the cloud service and haven’t updated the app for about a year and a half. There w AAords not mine “discontinued because it wasn’t cost-effective due to low demand” Their own cameras, some very expensive HDTVs and other Samsung computer mobile hardware are not supported by Smartthings. Samsung is now outsourcing it’s Smartthings hub to Aeotec, formally Aeon Labs when it was located in silicon valley. It’s now located in Hamburg Germany. Links to references soon, Samsung says they are committed to support this going forward but that could change on a dime. My point being at some point sooner than later Wyze is going to file an IPO or sell out or purchased by the likes of Amazon, Again those that helped you get where you are, customers partners, early adopters will be dumped by text or email if we’re lucky, with nothing more than useless e-waste, less money in the bank and left holding the check again , Left vulnerable once again . My #1 reason for purchasing Wyze products was because they were listed and certified compatible wirh Google to stream video to my devices. Chromecast and other displays.