SmartThings Integration

Using RTSP and tinyCam I was able to get the video feeds to show in ActionTiles so I am content now but v3 security and rtsp/mpeg should be priority. There are too many smart home manufacturers from China putting security as second nature.

1 Like

One more for SmartThings, or Home Assistant (my personal preference), or any kind of API so users can do the integration work for you, for free. I just got 2 Wyze Cams to try out and so far am loving them… except to find out the only way I can integrate with any kind of motion events, or automate updating a setting on the cam (turn alerts on/off/etc), is through… IFTTT? Is that correct, or have I missed something somewhere?

The “home automation people” using these systems are the people who spend the big bucks on the things you’re trying to sell. And I’m pretty sure we all hate IFTTT. If I could integrate with my home automation system I’d literally go out and buy into the whole Wyze ecosystem with sensors and at least 10 more cameras right now, because the cameras really are great and I’ve heard the sensors are as well. But until I can actually use them how I want, I can’t bite, and unfortunately will be investing in other equipment that does play nicely with others in the mean time.

Wyze is does play well with Google and Alexa if you dabble in those

I took my first non-wyze camera back because it could not be controlled or responded to at all via Smartthings/webCoRE. So I bought a Samsung camera but even it is limited. I have 12 Wyze bulbs but they are the last I will buy because I have to control them via IFTTT which as you said, we all love to hate.

But without integration to a proper hub (ST in my case), I will not be buying any more Wyze hardware in spite of the greatness of their hardware.

I use Alexa. Looks like I can view a cam on Alexa, but that’s it. I’d take Alexa routines over IFTTT but I’m not seeing the ability to really do anything else with Alexa.

I just have Alexa on my phone that’s it but I have Groups and routines both done on Alexa. If you download the Alexa app on your phone if you have an iPhone it the cheeseburger or the three lines in the left-hand corner and you can see Routines. And groups is just the white circle with the black + In the middle of it. I have a routine that says someone’s here and it turns on my Wyze lightbulbs and then also the Lutron lights that are controlled by Swiches. And then I have another routine that says goodbye and it shuts everything off outside.

Yes, I understand that. I have a ton of routines which I use to bridge my Home Assistant setup with Alexa for many different things. I was referring to the fact that if there was more WYZE functionality available in Alexa rather than just viewing a camera, you could use that to bridge at least some functionality into your home automation platform of choice - I guess SmartThings for the sake of this thread.

For example, all my Ring devices expose events I can listen for, as well as properties I can change, within Alexa. This would let me do something like “When This Happens > Smart Home > Front Door Motion” (when my front door Ring detects motion) then set the “Action” of the routine to call your home automation platform, at which point the doors are open and world is yours to do as you please. I can also change Ring device properties in Alexa Routine Actions, for example “Action > Smart Home > All Devices > Front Door > Snooze Motions Alerts” and trigger this Alexa Routine from my home automation platform when it knows I’m leaving. Now, I don’t have to do any of this because Ring has proper APIs and I can just integrate directly with it from my smart home system… but if it didn’t, you could do it this way using the Alexa Skill and Routines.

In short - If the WYZE camera events and properties were exposed through the Alexa Skill, we could at least somewhat get around it’s lack of integrations and APIs. But… all Alexa can do is view the camera :frowning:

That’s not true all my Wyze devices show up on Alexa. The lights, motion sensors, contact sensors, the plug-ins and the cameras everything I can see them all right there in my device list.

I can ask Alexa what’s the status of my back door because I have a contact sensor on it and she’ll say current status is closed and light is off. Because I have a Wyze lightbulb outside it’s tied to the door so when the door opens the light bulb comes on

I can even have her unlock and lock my new Wyze deadbolt with the beta app.

I am only speaking to the cameras here. Sorry for any confusion on that. I just got them today to try them out. I can see both my cameras as devices in Alexa, and can pull up the video feed fine, but I am not seeing them or any events they’re exposing as available triggers for a routine, nor am I seeing the ability to change any properties on them within an action. They both appear in the “Unsupported” section of devices when viewing the device list for an action.

The desired functionality, as an example, would be to turn motion notifications on or off for a selected camera device.

Yeah I think you’re right with the cameras all you can do is view them. I grouped them and then tried to do a routine by adding them via a group and they were grayed out. So you’re right all you can do is view the cameras right now through Alexa unless someone else know something I don’t know