SmartThings Integration

Well, I just started migrating to a Hubitat Elevation system. Guess my interest in this has shifted.

1 Like

Please yes, any integration would be great.

1 Like

Big SmartThings user. Not because it’s the best, but just because it is what I built my home around and also use Samsung devices and appliances. I love Wyze too, but the main thing that keeps me from going all in with their devices is lack of integration with other systems like SmartThings. Sadly, their motion sensors are slow responding too and so not ideal. I appreciate the price point and I love their AI features on the cameras. I do use all their cameras, love them, and will continue to use them, but I won’t be buying any other Wyze products that do not integrate with SmartThings. If they were to integrate, this would be a huge incentive to use more of their smart devices. Matter is a positive, but going to be awhile before it becomes useful. Wish they would do something now to help those of us who already use other well-established products.

5 Likes

I agree completely.
I am selling off all of my Wyze bulbs many of my cameras. I’m keeping they’re earbuds and overhead earphones scale vacuum and robotic vacuum. Their appliances are great. However the inability of their lighting products and even video to integrate with smart things is a real hassle and limitation.
I really enjoy the wise interfaces they’re really nicely designed but they really have to integration with other products.

4 Likes

I really, really tried to get them to integrate with SmartThings, but they didn’t want to and then used the excuse of investing their effort in Matter. Huge mistake as far as I’m concerned. I like Wyze products, but I’m forced to buy the important stuff that integrates - like Ring, and Z-Wave switches, etc. Also, the resources issues is a red herring - they keep coming out with stuff no one asked for, so why not pause and integrate with ST/HK? I appreciate they are a small company trying to make a living, but pissing off a large proportion of your customers is not a good idea. I also expect a lot of existing devices will not support Matter - sot there’s another fiasco waiting to happen.

7 Likes

We have moved this to probably-not as we will be focusing on Matter

6 Likes

Well, how ironic. “probably-not” is the exact same answer I will now give when family and friends ask me if they should buy a Wyze branded product. Also the same answer when asked if I’ll be keeping any of my Wyze products past the end of the month. Surely, a coincidentally timed post of yours. :unamused:

3 Likes

Move it to “not-ever”. You had plenty of time to do this years ago. Like improving your App and making devices work efficiently. But you feel it is a better business model to keep creating and selling new, shiny, toys. And so the App, Web View, and the current devices languish.

• How about you come clean and publish a road map up until 2025? At least shut down those requests you have no intention of ever doing? We want to like Wyze, but you make it very difficult.
  • Can we see a real, prioritized, requirements list and vote on it?
  • Will Web View ever work and proceed to an actual Beta?
  • Will the next product be a Wyze Drone? (Not a bad idea actually)
  • Will real employees start responding on the forum, or are dubious Maven updates all we can expect?
  • Will someone in Wyze Management get to see this post?
  • Since you are “focused” on Matter, can you please provide a timeline and some expectations?

Have a wonderful day,
Les

5 Likes

I just hope you guys actually go full in on matter, this news is still kinda disappointing

2 Likes

Given the history of Wyze and its inability to implement some of the most basic and simple feature requests (which are common in basically every single one of your competitors), I’m certainly not holding my breath for an update for Matter… which best case scenario is still years away. I’m not holding my breath on any of them as a matter of fact. I’m going to unsubscribe from all of my “wishlist” items and any other Wyze communications. I realize now it’s all just junk mail/spam that I don’t care about anymore.

I wanted to like Wyze so bad… like so so bad. Wyze just makes it so hard. Alas, I give up.

3 Likes

Very disappointing and really a great opportunity for another company given the popularity of smartthings. I knew once they started appearing on shelves at Home Depot the wyze dream was dead. I am unsubscribing from this spam.

1 Like

As I understand it, this just means Wyze won’t do a DIRECT support for SmartThings, it doesn’t mean that no Wyze products will ever connect to SmartThings through Matter. Both Wyze and SmartThings are focussing on Matter now, and thus they are likely to be able to interact that way in the future (my opinion).

That is what Wyze has explained to people who want Home Kit too. Not telling them that Wyze will never have Home Kit access, but that they aren’t going to do a special coding just for Home Kit when they can instead focus on Matter and get Home Kit connectivity through Matter. Putting their effort and resources into Matter to enable access to dozens of other ecosystems at the same time makes a lot more sense than expending the time and resources on each individual product one at a time.

It makes sense to me to put everything toward Matter so that we can have SmartThings and Home Kit and Home Assistant and Hubitat and all the other ones all at once all through the same effort. It should hopefully accomplish the same thing in the end, but make it work for lots of others too.

I think marking it as “Probably Not” is causing some misunderstandings with users from what it actually implies, which is: “We are researching how this will be enabled through our efforts with Matter and are combining this with our Matter project.” At least that’s how I understand it based on things other employees have said, such as WyzeFrederik. We’ll really just have to see how things turn out when Matter is finally actually released and tested.

4 Likes

This is accurate, we are focusing on Matter because that will achieve SmartThings and many others. It is better to focus on the one that will allow us the most reach instead of each one on its own.

5 Likes

Thanks for the clarification Jason. I was sure that is what was meant, it is good to get that confirmation for everyone. :+1:

1 Like

Here’s the issue. The Matter spec won’t publish until later this year, and while (as a partner) you may have insight into ongoing versions of the spec, it’s still in flux until it gets put out later in the year.

If we look at SmartThings as an example we can roughly guesstimate that if SmartThings doesn’t look like real Matter support will be here until mid 2023 to late 2023, then (with last history and stories of terrible APIs that desperately need updating) we certainly can’t expect Wyze to deliver until 2024 to 2025. By then we will likely have other excuses of why it can’t be done and 15 new products that nobody wanted.

The smart move would have been to spend the last 4 years building an open (and secure) API to allow easy development of different layers of connectivity. Open it to the community and allow them to write the drivers and integration for you. Then support and contribute the best drivers and bring them into the fold.

Yeah I get that at this point in time the best intentions are to implement support. My money however is on in 9 months there being no movement towards actual support for Matter and 18-24 months later there being promises of it being just 1 or 2 quarters away (repeating every 1-2 quarters).

This is a failure of the management team at Wyze to set a clear vision and a failure to listen to the community. The decision to not support SmartThings at this point with a year to support Matter would make sense to most new companies today. However it doesn’t make sense to Wyze. They should already have had SmartThings support 3 years ago. That is what annoys the community.

Yeah I agree with the people here. I was hoping Wyze was going to surprise us with decent third party support. But I can’t wait for that anymore. My money now goes to companies who listen to their customers.

I really hope I’m wrong and you surprise everyone. But I don’t think I am and I wouldn’t hold my breath nor will I recommend a Wyze product to anyone.

4 Likes

While support for Matter is mostly positive thing, there are some gaps that it won’t solve, particularly compared to a direct cloud to cloud SmartThings integration:

1. there’s a good chance a lot of Wyze’s current devices won’t support Matter. Matter has a specific processor and memory requirement that a lot of low cost devices won’t meet. Wyze staff have confirmed this and they haven’t stated yet which current Wyze devices will actually support Matter.
  2. Matter doesn’t support video cameras. So even with Matter that means no viewing Wyze video streams in the SmartThings app, on your Samsung TV or on your fancy Samsung fridge with the screen
5 Likes

This is severely disappointing. I guess I’ll wait until my WYZE devices are EOL (if they aren’t already) then replace them with something else. WYZE has consistently failed to engage the community on the simplest of items (Looking at you SNOOZE BUTTON) and I’ve lost faith going forward. As stated previously, unsubscribing from this spam list.

2 Likes

In my opinion based on past “alliances” and the way the smart home industry works, Matter doesn’t matter. Many current devices won’t work with it. There’s no requirement for all the companies involved to work together. Just like with Zigbee, that was also supposed to make our smart home lives better, companies will implement it their own way. Which means that they won’t all work together seamlessly. Wyze could easily use Matter but only allow devices in their ecosystem or you’ll be able to connect devices from other companies but without all the functionality. Matter isn’t going to solve all the issues people are asking to be fixed.

4 Likes

Can you give us an update on how your focus on Matter is going? Do you have any kind of timeline for support, or is too early? It would be nice if we knew what devices will likely be supported.

Les

1 Like

At this time it is too early to give a timeline. What I can say is we are working on it and that is why you have seen the shift away from integrations like SmartThings towards Matter. When I have more info I can share I definitely will.

3 Likes