SmartThings Integration

WebCore is basically a add-on to SmartThings. If you search the SmartThings forum you will see a lot about it. It is something you use to write your own programs, it is pretty detailed but not for anyone not willing to put in some time to learn it.

3 Likes

I’m trying Webcore but it’s not yet working. I don’t know what to do but it looks like I’m going to have to wait for progress at Wyze or find a new product that will work with the rest of the smart devices. I think smart devices and the ecosystem is in bad shape and the first company that gets everything working will be the hot ticket item. :-/

1 Like

WebCORE works perfectly, in fact, I just added more pistons this weekend and have a plethora of smartererer automations built for my Wyze motion sensors. What do you mean it is not working? webCoRE has a fantastic community forum, head over there and some kind individual will surely show you what is wrong.

1 Like

Apparently yesterday there was a Smartthings issue that affected Hubs, devices and automation’s in the North America’s. They included, delays, failures in device controls/automation’s and even hubs appearing offline. This issue was fixed yesterday evening and all automation’s were restored. Tested all of mine this morning before work and they are confirmed to be back up and working correctly.

Perhaps this is why you were having troubles with webCoRE as mine were down as well… The boss (wife) told me when I got home.

Ex70s…I was greatly disappointed that there is no Alexa integration with the Wyze Motion Sensors. I currently am using the SmartThings Motion Detectors and they are successfully triggering Alexa Routines (and nearly instantly I might add). I have questions if you are able and willing I would be most grateful:

1. Your WebCORE (WC) integration to SmartThings (ST) for the Wyze Motion Sensors (MS), is the response for detection quick or is it expected to be a delay?

2. With your WC integration to ST are you then able to use them to trigger Alexa Routines?

3. Would you be willing to write up a How-To tutorial showing your WC integration and how a newbie would go from creating a WC account to duplicating your WC integration to ST?

4. If not, is there a concise tutorial available for such an integration?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Ken

PS It is beyond me why Wyze has not provide these integrations. The Alexa motion detection API has been out for some time now. Looking at the Wishlist this has been requested many times and for over a year now. I for one would drop a lot of coin on their sensors and other products if these integrations existed. Right now I just have two pan cams and these function as standalone products. These too need integration to Alexa to trigger routines.

I believe they have paused any new cloud integrations until they can rebuild their cloud infrastructure mentioned in the first post here

This will probably help you the most:

Here is your hand out, sir/ma’am. These videos helped me. I hope they help you too:

webCoRE for SmartThings - A-Z Installation walkthrough

webCoRE for SmartThings - An Introduction

Becoming a Master at SmartThings webCoRE

Getting to Know webCoRE: Dashboard Deep Dive

and lastly:

Integrate Wyze and SmartThings To Get The Best Of Both Worlds

Cheers!

6 Likes
  1. Delayed, so most of my Wyze ST integrations are for “OFF/close” functions not super delayed but I prefer my lights to be on before I crack me coconut open at the bottom of the stairs.
    That said I could create a motion based routine to turn on the coffee pot when I roll outta bed or something that way its done before I get there.

2. Yes, I create virtual switches in ST based from an IFTTT trigger for the wyze sensors. Once the virtual switches are created, they can be added to the HALexa smartapp in ST and then utilized by HALexa as a normal switch. You can also create simulated motion sensors… for this I create a piston in WC to activate the simulated sensor when the switch is on/off. Add that to the HALexa smartapp in ST and use in the same manner.

3. Depends on what you want to make happen… WC is incredibly powerful and can do much more than I utilize with these sensors. My ST ecosystem is large and I purchased these items to toy with. I use monoprice open/close sensors for most things as they work locally with ST. I use Sammy motion sensors for the motion on for the same reason.
    My main use for the Wyze open/close is closets with Wyze bulbs as these are also immediate, I use these on windows (control thermostat) also as they are waaaay cheaper.

4. Yes there is a tutorial on setting it up but what you can do is too dynamic… dare I say sky is the limit?

1 Like

Hey Jason21271,
I wanted to take some time out and thank you for recommending WebCore to me in an earlier thread. WebCore has changed the way I use SmartThings. I don’t even bother with the ST app anymore. I just go create a new piston.

That being said, you are absolutely right when you say, “…[SmartThings is] not for anyone not willing to put in some time to learn it”.

It took me about 2-3 hours of watching tutorials on YouTube, understanding the integration, how virtual devices fit in, IFTTT cooperation, and other things that were too complicated and I knew I should just steer away from.

I also learned that WyzeCAM is not a solution for security; at all. If your goal is security, don’t expect much from a camera you bought for 20 bucks.

Cheers!

1 Like

You are welcome. There are endless possibilities to WebCore, it just takes the time and patience to figure it out, but once you do it is a great tool.

1 Like

Thank you MadCam for the reply and information. I actually already have WC set up with ST devices. However, Wyze sense are not a ST devices so this is the area was looking for some guidance to reduce the learning curve a bit. Didn’t intend to disenchant you or even enchant you with my Googling skills. I do appreciate the links, info and the rebuke is noted. :slight_smile:

Ex70s…thank you for the reply. I figured it had to go through IFTTT and you have confirmed what I have read, IFTTT causes delays that for many motion sensor applications is unacceptable. The price point of the Wyze Sense devices makes them so appealing except for the lack of ST and Alexa integration. For now it looks like I will use them for notification until Wyze provide native integration. On a positive note, it did motivate me to get up to speed with WC. Thank you again for the reply and information. Very much appreciated.

This is the single dealbreaker for me. It’s the difference between owning 1 camera out of curiosity and owning 8 cameras for actual usable integration into my system.

I have to agree KenA. I just received my Wyze Sense Starter Kit yesterday and set it up. I am a bit concerned about connectivity to the “bridge”. It seems a bit temperamental with maintaining connection to the sensors. I could have my entire house armed with these sensors if they were ST or Alexa compatible AND the didn’t need a camera bridge nearby. The second concern, a camera nearby, is a new concern for me after setting up two contact sensors and a motion detector…all three of which became “Offline” multiple times for no apparent reason. The Camera/Bridge was right next to them the last two times it happened and the only way I was able to resolve it was to restart the camera. Not acceptable if these are guarding windows/doors/ammo cabinet/etc. Also, at times there was an unacceptable delay win the Wyze app which was not repeatable. Also, unacceptable with a native app for sensors. Right now my SmartThings Motion Detectors are working perfectly with Alexa and Alexa Routines. I have two and am using them to turn lights on and off. The work very quickly and the mounting system is brilliant. If they were smaller and less expensive I wouldn’t be perusing the Wyze alternative. Meaning, if Wyze would get theirs to work reliably and quickly with ST/Alexa I’d buy them in 6 packs!

Please add ST I’d add 6 more cameras if you did.

ST adding support for WebRTC in Q1 2020. Maybe by then Wyze will be done with their cloud upgrades and @Frederik can work his magic :slight_smile:image

2 Likes

It is imperative if Wyze wants to be the leader they open the platform to allow automation enthusiasts to integrate with other home automation control systems. There are many open source devs that could help Wyze build this integration. Unfortunately Wyze is keeping their platform very closed source. I don’t understand why your servers can not provide an API gateway that would allow an authenticated user key to be able to stream his/her cameras over a secure link? If that were so you could easily simplify these integrations to smart things with a device handler.

I suggest Wyze make this higher priority for 2020 - my future of buying any other Wyze smart home product is strongly dependent on having a SmartThings integration.

1 Like

I would love to see some SmartThings integration. I own way too many zigbee/zwave sensors, switches, lights etc… Love the camera so far, but I only buy home automation devices that I can add to my SmartThings account ootb. Please make me buy some Wyze sensors/lights/outlets!

I am using WebCore to integrate WYZE with SmartThings, it is a work around and I do want seamless integration, but for now that is what I am doing.

1 Like