Smarter, Better, Faster, Stronger: Wyze Robot Vacuum! 11/10/20

I have been wanting a robot vacuum for a long time and I love Wyze products but are there any reviews from beta testers yet? We are taking a big chance here.

Someone mentioned above that the Wyze Vac has a 3200 mAh battery and their’s was 5200 mAh. Same here. My Xiaomi is 5200 mAh as well. My downstairs is about 2400 sqft but I don’t vacuum quite everything with this vac and it won’t complete on one charge. Get’s maybe 75% done and has to recharge. So, clearly a 3200 mAh is going to do less. maybe about 1500 sqft before needing to recharge.

I wonder if Wyze might offer an upgraded battery pack at some point.

Everything looks the same as mine except my vac has some sort of optical sensor on the side at about the 2 o’clock position. I’ve never figured out if that sensor is part of the LIDAR or something else. I do know that if my vac finds a cobweb under some furniture and it drapes across that sensor it will no longer drive in a straight line but will start making these large arcs. I have to stop it and brush off the window on that sensor to make it behave. So, not having that might be an advantage.

Also, the Xiaomi app I have won’t let you draw virtual walls as it seems to make a map from scratch every time it’s started. It has always been clear to me that you could do virtual walls if it retained a map between runs. So, I like this feature.

the Xiaomi is apparently a rebadged Roborock. I wonder if the Wyze is the Roborock S4? Are there any differences? The price is lower and I like Wyze products so I pre-ordered. I hope it won’t regret my first robot vacuum purchase.

I believe you are right. They have signed a deal with either Xiaomi themselves or the same factory that builds the Xiaomi device. This just means in three years, they will release V2/3 and it will then many of the features people found missing and be repackaged into something “original”. Just sayin’, it’s a pattern with Wyze. I would expect more of a price differential though. Compare other products in the Wyze Universe and you wouldn’t see such a small price drop when dealing with a $200-300 market value product. As I stated above, this product doesn’t seem to fit the ethos of Wyze.

Canada! Please add Canada!

Also, will you have your own version of the app, or will you use Xiaomi’s app?
My existing Xiaomi Mi Robot doesn’t support the virtual walls like this new one seems to show.

2 Likes

This doesn’t hold up. Look at the Roborock (any model). Look at the Xiaomi. They are similar but not the same. If something is re-branded it would look identical, not just similar. Now if you compare the Xiaomi to the Wyze, they are exactly the same. Aside from the price point issue mentioned, I don’t see anything else in the Wyze lineup that would make me confident that they know the vacuum world well enogh to produce a quality product. Sure, it is more likely that they are simply shoving their firmware on someone else product (Wyze Cam 1 anyone), but I think this product is far too risky.

The robot will be integrated into the normal Wyze app.

Why is google integration such a challenge ?!? is it google or wyze?! I only use google, Alexa does not provide certain functionality that I like… I love wyze i’ve been with you guys since 2017, but it makes it very challenging for me to want to buy more and stay with you, because I have to have a way to control my smart home with my voice not only my phone… I also was wondering if this device has a dust bin sensor to detect when it’s full … ?!

same s5 here

I wouldn’t be surprised if there isn’t a third company actually making these vacuums and private labeling them for Xiaomi, Roborock, and now Wyze. That’s pretty much what we found to be the case with Wyze Cam V2 and the equivalent Xiaomi product.

As I said, this hardware looks the same except my Xiaomi has an oval optical window on the side at about the 2 o’clock position if what is certainly a ultrasound ranger on the front is taken to be 12 o’clock.

I’ve always been curious what that optical sensor does and sort of assumed it was part of the LIDAR system. On mine if I get any trash or cobweb on that window the vac stops driving straight and instead starts making large sweeping arcs. I have to stop it and clear the window when that occurs because it will not vacuum without missing large sections in that mode. In fact, having to keep that window clear is really my only gripe with the vacuum. If this vac works as well without that sensor it is an improved version.

But the smaller capacity battery is a bit disappointing. Not the end of the world but I wonder if it can do my whole downstairs with a single battery change in the middle. My total run time to do the parts of the downstairs I let the Xiaomi do is about 130 minutes total run time.

I’d buy this right now if it had dog poop detection. I don’t know how you’d implement it, but knowing that my dog’s occasional “gifts” wouldn’t get smeared around the floor (in an albeit very efficient pattern) would be the killer feature for me.

3 Likes

Dustbin capacity? This is important to pet owners, since we don’t want to need to empty the bin midway during a cleaning.

How is this with avoiding cables?

1 Like

If it trips the bump sensor or the wheels start spinning it will stop and try to back it self out of trouble. But I personally haven’t seen a robot vac that will detect and avoid cables at all.

Can you tell us more about the backer bonuses? It looks like we only get our choice of one bonus, rather than all unlocked bonuses. With the big website with initials of KS, backers get all unlocked bonuses.

It has a 550ml dustbin with a HEPA filter.

Best thing you can do with cables is either secure them off the floor, or erect a virtual wall to keep the robot from touching them.

1 Like

I have the Roborock s5. Jan will be two years owning this product. I was going to do a YouTube review of the vacuum, but would love to do a comparison video instead. At your price point and all the features, this could be a excellent challenger .My home has different types of carpet, hardwood floors, furniture challenges, and height objects to make a good test for the vacuums. It currently takes 2 hours for the Roborock to make its rounds, I have various programs and schedules for it to complete in a weeks time. Please contact me if you would like to compete with the Roborock. After owning several of your products, I am confident the Wyze vacuum will hold its own.:blush:

i havent found a vacuum that is good for avoiding cables

Yeah, the ability to put up a virtual wall (depending on the level of position accuracy) might be a good way to address cables.

Right now I just make sure that they are secured and out of the way.

Virtual walls are a great added feature over some of the other products in the market like Xiaomi.

3 Likes