Smarter, Better, Faster, Stronger: Wyze Robot Vacuum! 11/10/20

I only experienced my WRV leaving at 60% charge during the mapping process. The few times I have ran a cleaning on the whole house thus far it fully recharges then heads back out. Curious, was your experience during the mapping process or did you experience during a “cleaning”?

From what I have read, the capacity limitations needed as indicated by the research (I know no batteries actually can hit technical 100% without causing major issues, but the researchers were talking about the regular 100% in most batteries and measuring how that damages and wears them out). The limits recommended by the research findings are actually rarely implemented by any manufacturers, and the few that have ever implemented such limits have been severely publicly shamed and attacked for limiting their battery capacity this way, making others decide that they don’t want to provide any support for such things. I strongly down that Wyze or their supplier in China made the effort to do this either. But who knows, it could be the case.

I guess though, just speaking from the topic at hand of how else this could be intentional instead of a bug, does partially depend on how much time is needed to finish an already partial cleaning. If it cleaned 70% of the house, and ran out of battery, and only needed another 40% battery to finish the 30% of the house that is left, then there is no need to make it spend the extra time to charge all the way to 100% first, then finish cleaning then go charge back to 100% again. That would make the cleaning take much longer than necessary. If the goal is to finish cleaning everything as quickly and efficiently as possible, then a smart vacuum could estimate how much percent battery is required to finish the job, then simply charge a little above that needed amount for some leeway, then go finish cleaning so the cleaning is completed as quickly as possible, then it can finish charging all the way once time is no longer an issue. Perhaps this is what it is currently doing…it knew, based on the map, that it didn’t need to reach 100% in order to finish what was started, it only needed around 60% to finish, which makes sense why it would do the same thing at that same 60% mark so often for your particular house, but not do that with many others.

If, on the other hand, you meant that the 60% charge was not sufficient to finish cleaning what it was scheduled to do, and that it started cleaning when it didn’t have enough of a charge to finish the job, then yes, I agree that is a big problem. It’s also a problem if by “decided it was time to vacuum on it’s own” you meant that it starts going to vacuum when you didn’t have it scheduled to vacuum…that is also a big problem. I haven’t experienced either of those issues if that’s what you meant was happening, but I think I am using a beta firmware version, and if so, perhaps those issues will be resolved for you soon too.

I’ve not tested how it does with cords. It is interesting to hear that you’ve had vacuums that just glide over cords. I didn’t know there were any that could do that. Do you have any idea how it was able to do that? It seems to me that, logically, any vacuum with a strong suction would also grab cords, and if it doesn’t, then it would not be a very good vacuum at sucking up dirt and such. But if there is a way for a smart vacuum to have great suction but leave cords alone, this would be awesome to find a way to implement it. (I was considering placing electrical tape around my cords or their areas, so the black tape would tell my vacuum there’s a cliff and make it stay away).

When the mapping is interrupted midway due to low battery (< 8%) the vacuum will return and recharge to 60% and then go back to finish the mapping.
For subsequent recharges, it will recharge to 100%.

This is based on my observation.

1 Like

Interesting, that sounds intentional then. Thanks. I wonder why. Obviously, this will work well if to complete a full cleaning it takes less than 160% total charge…well, less than 146% charge (when you take into account that it stops cleaning to go recharge around the 8% battery mark).

It begs the following question:

If, to clean the full level it would take a total of 172% battery use to complete, which of the following would it do then? (This is assuming it returns to recharge at the 8% mark, though I have seen it sometimes wait to go charge until it hits the 5% mark)

Option A:

1. Starting at 100% battery, go clean until it hits the 8% battery warning (using 92%). Then return to charge.
  2. At 60% charged, go clean some more, but run out a second time before it finishes, and at the 8% warning mark (used 52% this time) go back to charge again (Now having used 92% + 52% = 144% battery total).
  3. Once it gets back up to 60% again, go finish cleaning and it finally finishes the whole floor with 32% battery remaining. It had to start cleaning 3 times to finish the job.

Option B:

1. Starting at 100% battery, go clean until it hits the 8% battery warning (using 92%). Then return to charge.
  2. Based on the amount of space left to clean on the map, it knows that it needs more than a 60% charge to finish the map…in fact, it needs to spend at least 80% more battery to finish, which means it needs at least 88% to account for the 8% low battery return point…so instead of launching at a 60% charge (as it would if there was only a little bit left to do), it instead charges up to 90%-100% knowing it needs this much to finish the second run. Once it hits that, it finishes cleaning and returns home to charge, all in just 2 runs, instead of 3.

Option A is based on a flawed assumption that any incomplete cleaning is going to be “mostly done” already and doesn’t need a full battery to complete the remainder. Option 2 would be a truly “Smart” AI, which decides when to re-launch after recharging based on whether it likely needs more battery or not.

Or, it could just be a bug (Option C) :slight_smile:

Has anyone experienced map warping? Maybe it is caused by my dock accidentally moving between cleanings. I use it to clean my upstairs which has about 4 rooms. On subsequent cleaning the robot started scanning the floor at a slightly shifted floorplan and merging it with the existing map causing an additional 4 rooms to be created. I didn’t get a screenshot because I reset the map to try and fix it, but it was very bizarre.

Also I’ve noticed that if the vacuum thinks it sees something to clean beyond the stairs it will go up to the stairs and try to go forward (thankfully not throwing itself down the stairs) but it will spin around and eventually the sensor will get itself over the edge of the stair and think that it is picked up, throwing an error to place it back on the ground. This happened to me twice.

Lastly, if I run the vacuum on strong I can’t get the robot to do a full sweep of the upstairs. ‘Strong’ drains the battery very fast and only seems to make it through a few rooms before needing a charge. Is this par for the course with other robot vacuums?

Mine was during the mapping process only, so it makes no sense as to why the charging stopped at the 60% mark, especially since it had no idea what my total room size was. It would be pretty cool if after mapping it could estimate how much charge is needed to complete the job and charge to a little more than what is needed. My wife goes to bed fairly early for her job and it would be nice to not have to wait for two complete charges to finish my rooms if we decide to vacuum in the evening.

2 Likes

All wonder since we don’t see the back end but i guess my assumption is its speed to complete with mapping. Get to an acceptable charge and go back out?

Interesting thanks for sharing.

Hey so I went to empty my dust bin on my vac and I noticed that the foam gasket had partially come undone. I super glued it back in place in the spot that it came undone. While I glued it back in place I couldn’t help but notice how delicate the foam gasket felt. I am slightly concerned about it longevity now. What does everyone else think about this? This seem to happen when I slide the dust bin back in place after emptying it. I am only concerned because without this seal I don’t know if the dust and dirt will be contained properly. Maybe a stronger glue needs to be used and maybe like a rubber gasket or heavier duty foam?

If the dock is on a hard surface, you can use a couple of command strips to fasten it more securely to the floor. I have ceramic tile and it works to keep it from moving around.

1 Like