Smart Sprinkler Controller

My use

IF Neighbor’s cat digging lawn and P.o.op
Then Open Ball Valve (1 min)

Hi @Wyze Team,

I got an idea which is a no brainier! Wyze needs to make a lawn sprinkler/irrigation system. This is how it will work. The system will have two components:

1. soil moisture sensor which someone can stick I to the soil where they have flowers or vegetables which will notify the Wyze system to turn on the water :sweat_drops: controller which doesn’t need to be fancy and can connect in line to the common garden hose.
  2. Wyze lawn sprinkler system itself which as stated in part 1 will screw in to the house water outlet in the back or front yard and the other end of it will be connected to the garden hose which can run to a sprinkler or a weeping hose for water irrigation.

When the moisture sensor senses low moisture in the soil, it will send a signal to the Wyze lawn sprinkler system to turn off and when the soil moisture levels are high enough, it will to send the signal to stop the water. This way, the lawn sprinkler system can be low power system as it will be a sleep most of the time and will be only activated by the moisture sensor(s).

There soil moisture sensor can also be Soler powered by a 5W 2AMP cheep solar panel.

1 Like

Others have suggested a Wyze version of something that’s already produced by others: Motion/People detection that turns a lawn sprinkler ON, to keep unwanteds off the lawn.

My idea is the opposite. Sprinklers often have to reach beyond the lawn and across the sidewalk to water areas at the curb, and people walking by get hit. I would like people detection to turn the sprinkler OFF when there’s a passerby approaching (but not when there are only passing vehicles on the road) and of course back on again once the passerby passes.

1 Like

Anyone here interested in testing this product? :slight_smile:

To be eligible for the test you must:

1. Have an existing irrigation system that is used to water your lawn/gardens
  2. Have a controller that is located in a garage or other indoor area (Wyze Sprinkler is not weatherproof and may not fit in existing weatherproof boxes)
  3. Plan to continue using your irrigation system through October

Selected testers will be expected to:

1. Replace their existing irrigation controller with Wyze Sprinkler and use it for the duration of the test
  2. Complete occasional tasks or assignments
  3. Report bugs and other feedback types on a regular basis
  4. Complete occasional surveys evaluating your experience with the product
  5. Be willing to troubleshoot with our team if needed
  6. Understand this product is in beta and therefore may have bugs or usability issues
  7. Sign an NDA and keep all aspects of testing confidential

If this sounds great to you, please fill out this form!

3 Likes

I’m watching this one till the price drops a bit more… .it doped 4% since April.

It should drop to $46 soon I hoping …
Love my Organic garden by the way.

1 Like

I filled out the form from the email. Can’t wait.

Gwendolyn,

If we filled out the form previously and participated in the first round of Alpha do we need to fill it out again?

I’m also looking at this. Only downside you need one for each faucet. A multi faucet would be nice. Also a Wyze sprinkler for a faucet hose would be even better.

I have 12 zones, does it have the ability for that many zones?

According to the email, yes, the alpha testers have to fill out the form to continue testing, but there’s a different link in the email

2 Likes

This may have been discussed if not …

The low voltage outputs that operate the control valves in a sprinkler system - consider making them isolated from earth ground (not ground referenced) or even isolating the entire controller from earth ground.

Here’s why - in a sprinkler system you have control valves and wiring buried underground, often for decades. It’s not uncommon to have some minor insulation breakdown or have a control value not completely sealed and you’ll get a very minor leakage of current to ground. This isn’t a safety issue as these low voltages aren’t hazardous .

It is however a major annoyance if your controller is plugged into a GFI plug, which will be required in an outdoor or garage installation. That small leakage of the control voltage to ground will typically cause a GFI to trip. Then your sprinkler goes out along with anything plugged into that plug or downstream. Since digging up all that wiring and finding the issue is completely impractical, most homeowners will swap the GFI plug for a standard non-GFI plug. This violates the electrical code and creates a safety hazard, but if you want your sprinkler to work this may be the only option.

From my observations, some controllers are ground isolated, and some are not. The isolated controllers will have no issue with leakage to ground through the control wiring. I do not believe that U.L. prohibits this, as long as you have the proper isolation between the mains voltage and the low voltage control signals (not hard to do - every USB wall wart does this).

Just some advice that might be of some use.

Hope to see you come out with this product. Would love to alpha test one of these.

1 Like

Yes for an irrigation system please! My controller is inside (garage).

Has Wyse committed to this product? Is there a roadmap for getting it to market?

I’d love to have a Wyse Sprinkler Controller, the sooner the better. My current Orbit dumb controller is on it’s way out. Randomly goes from off to run mode. I’d hate to buy something as a stopgap only to buy a Wyse 6 months later.

Even though it’s showing “in-development” it’s actually in beta testing.

Has anyone mentioned a release date? If I can limp through the next couple of weeks, if they would release before spring of next year then I could buy their solution instead of buying something as a stopgap.

If I were Wyse, I would really try to release the product by late winter. People will be turning their sprinkler system up in the spring and that will be a good time to cut over to a new controller.