Wyze Switch - Smart light switch

Which GE switch doesn’t require a neutral? Can you post a link to it? I have never seen a decent wifi switch that doesn’t require a neutral without requiring some type of hub. The reason they need the neutral is to power the microcontroller that stores the network info and WIFI components.

You may be mistaking a GE addon switch wjhich would be the 2nd switch in a 3-way application for a standalone wifi switch. For the GE 3-way switches, the main switch needs a neutral, but I don’t believe the addon on switch does.

You should only need one 3-way smart switch for each 3-way and 4-way application. A 4-way is two 3-way switches and a 4-way switch. As long as the smart switch functions like a normal 3-way switch, you should be able to swap out either one of the 3-way switches with a smart switch and be good to go. TP Link has these and they work great. I bought a TP Link 3-way pack and installed one on my downstairs hall lights and one on my upstairs hall lights. Now some companies have a main switch and then an addon switch that sends a signal to the main switch. Those will not work.

Honestly Wyze could save a ton of money and only sell 3-way switches instead of trying to source single pole and 3-way. 3-way switches can be used in regular 1 switch, 3-way and 4-way applications. This would be great, because then people could just buy 5-10 switches at a time without worrying about where they are going to go.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m going to read through them. Great option for houses without the neutral.

http://www.mysimplysmarthome.com/products/switchmate-switches/

need one of these with wifi capability.

Please notify me when Wyze makes a smart switch. I would love to add Wyze switches to my bulbs, plugs, and cameras to my house.

@maow333 Welcome to the Wyze community forums! This Wishlist topic is currently in “researching” and if it progresses it will be moved to the #roadmap category as “in-development”. Keep an eye on this thread for future updates. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeah, I sold my 4 Wemo switches for enough money to buy 5 TP Link switches. I decided go with one brand of smart switch/bulb/plug and I had way more TP Link products then Wemo. Plus I constantly had issues with my Wemo app on my galaxy, I’ve never had a single issue with TP Link.

Just an FYI, and I may be wrong. If you have a Samsung phone, you can use Smartthings to control and automate all of your smart products. You do not need the smartthings hub. I believe Smartthings can be used for multiple locations.

Be sure to scroll to the bottom of this topic and make sure the notification switch says “Watching” (not Tracking, Normal or Muted). This will ensure you get notification of posts in this thread from the forum.

1 Like

I’m in the market for smart switches. If Wyze made them, I’d probably buy them. I’m probably going to buy some WeMo or TP Link dimmers for now. Maybe Moes, haven’t researched enough yet.

Here is what I expect from a smart switch:

• button where the switch was
  • dimmer capability in app and on switch (I prefer the WeMo style slider to the tp-link buttons)
  • app control
  • Google and Alexa integration
  • night mode (ease on to dim setting based on configurable time or sunset/sunrise)

Other people were talking about all switches being 3 way capable, but I don’t think they realize the cost implications. I think it would be better to make a companion “switch.” The companion switch would look like the normal switch, but be battery operated and pair with a normal switch (and/or smart bulb), achieving 3 way switch functionality with less cost and simplified wiring.

Ideally, the companion switch could either be flush mounted to the wall or fit in an existing 3-way switch housing. This would allow adding 3-way functionality to any light without any wiring.

In most 3 way applications the wiring is already there. As far as cost savings, If wyze only produced a 3-way switch and nothing else they could be used in any application you want them to. You could replace a single light switch, one switch on a 3-way circuit, or one switch on a 4-way circuit and your good to go. I would assume that producing one product is cheaper than producing 3 different products that essentially do the same thing. The last thing I personally want is another device that I need to worry about changing the battery to. Another plus would be you could buy 10 switches and decide where you want them when you get them.

If you have a 3-way switch already wired, you could just tape off the wires at the 2nd switch. You’re right about a battery though. The contact sensor batteries only have a 12 month lifespan, and this would do a similar function.

As far as cost savings… sure, it would be two products instead of one. They could share the face-plate and button molds with just a different circuit board and back-plate. I guess there could be an optional power adapter that could hook up to existing wires instead of a battery.

I’m not in manufacturing, so I’m not sure what the up front costs of a mold and pcb would be. But per unit, it’s gotta be cheaper to eliminate all of the switch hardware and wiring. I’m just guessing here, but I’m thinking ballpark $20 wall switch + $10 companion switch vs $25 3-way switch + $25 3-way switch.

Personally, I think it would be really great to add a switch to any light without running wires and cutting holes. That product doesn’t really exist right now. Maybe I’m the only one with switches in stupid places, but I would buy them for sure.

YES to a smart switch!!!

I would purchase more than 30+ light switches for our home built in the 70’s with just two wires for the lighting circuits, which would far exceed any of the other number of smart device types I would purchase.

Today, capacitors have evolved making tremendous strides and are surpassing the resiliency of rechargeable lithium-ion batteries. I would like to see a product that uses this updated technology to overcome the hurdle of no neutral wire present in lighting circuit. A popular world class lighting manufacture has already used this approach which eliminates the use of batteries and an external hub within a smart light switch product last year.

To me, smart light switches make “wyze sense” to offer, from a purely product and cash flow volume business appeal, which has the potential of exceeding the company’s current line-up in sales, if implemented with little to no installer-user intervention after installation and just works transparently as a normal wall switch for family members and guest.

A smart light switch with a dimmer would be very nice. Maybe this could be used with Wyze Bulbs?

Wyze bulbs are already dim able through the App…

Until Wyze designs a real one, I designed this switch that uses a contact sensor as a light switch. It looks pretty nice and gets the job done if you just want a physical switch. It is designed to pop right into a standard decora light switch plate and the contact sensors just stick right on. Lift it up and the light comes on, down off – or however you choose to program it.

I will post the design to Thingiverse if people are interested in printing their own.
Benjamin

3 Likes

I’ve scanned through this entire thread and I think two completely distinct products are being confused.

Many people want a smart wall switch to control regular devices (light bulbs, whatever).

Other people (myself included) are looking for a physical controller for Wyze Bulbs. I haven’t been able to find anything that will conclusively work with them and that’s not even taking into account that I’d have to be able to source it in Canada.

Why would I want to use a smart bulb instead of a smart switch? Primarily so that I can change the temperature as required.

Is there a different thread for a physical Wyze Bulb controller (battery powered or wall-plate mounted). Preferably one that is configured via the Wyze app to associate it with the bulbs and set any scenes, so that once configured it operates completely independent of the phone and has no need for Google/Siri/Alexa? It doesn’t need to have a display on it to show the brightness of the bulbs since, oddly enough, the brightness of the bulbs already tells me that.

Alternatively, a firmware update for the bulbs that makes them controllable via an existing switch? (This one might require making the temperature configurable via IFTTT

Or maybe someone in this thread can suggest something that would work now?

1 Like