Wyze Switch - Smart light switch

To everyone contributing to the discussion in this thread, please keep the Community Guidelines in mind before replying. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I understand the type of product you’re talking about. It’s just not what this thread is about. Your idea is a physical controller for Wyze Bulbs. It’s a decent product idea, it’s just not the same thing as smart switches and dimmers, which would by necessity replace the existing switches and dimmers (so that they can control dumb bulbs)

I don’t know that there’s any particular advantage in “covering” existing switches with them. If they made such a product, it would be easier if it were just a standalone item, similar to what IKEA sells for their system, for example.

As for keeping the switches on, you can buy little pieces of plastic that lock the switch in the on or off position. (Just Google “Switch lock” or “Switch blocker”)

Another forum member posted the same product I use at home to help prevent my switches from being turned off. :slight_smile:

Yep. I put one of those in my parents’ garage. Their garage door opener light doesn’t work anymore (tried replacing the bulb, that’s not the problem) so I put a motion-sensor bulb in the overhead light and put one of those on the switch to prevent them from turning it off accidentally.

1 Like

Right. The thread I created got merged with this thread. That was out of my control.

Interesting solution from Lowes in the mean time.

Ah, I gotcha. Didn’t realize that had happened. In my opinion, it probably deserves to be its own wishlist item. “Physical controller for Wyze Bulbs” is basically what you’re after, I think. Smart switches/dimmers are definitely a different product than that. But yeah, not your fault that it got merged here.

@danter, I sent you a PM. Let’s talk. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I now understand the level of confusion I was encountering. It all forced me to explain in detail. Always a good exercise for me…

From the perspective of this thread, I think the smart bulb controller idea amounts to a very similar set (actually a superset) of features but a very different approach. The approach might be a way of solving/avoiding some of the challenges encountered by smart switches.

Laundry list of smart switch troubles:

• requires common wire - not really any workaround that I know of
  • requires rewiring - more of a matter of convenience unless you are a renter - no real workaround.
  • prevents the use of smart bulb features - color control, dimming
  • expensive physical switch - high voltage switch - must be built for worst case load so it is likely overbuilt - it’s going to be bulky and expensive

Landry list of smart bulb problems:

• must preserve power supply by preventing the previous normal function of a light switch.
  • expensive bulbs.

Looking at things from the desired function point of view instead of the desired solution can be liberating to allow completely new and even better solutions.

What I think most people want is:

• normal legacy function at wall switch (on/off)
  • all the functions you get with smart bulb (voice control, on/off, dimmer, color)
  • reasonably priced (less than $25 total)
    • no hub required (pure wifi - 2.4GHz please dont polute 5Ghz with this sort of stuff)
    • bulbs less than $8 per bulb - some of my fixtures have 3 bulbs.
    • legacy controller switch replacements less than $8
  • Looks nice (even stylish in the same sense that a wall switch should have style)
  • some people might require no rewiring, i.e. only can change bulbs and cover legacy switch device

Further thoughts about the re-wired (non-battery operated solution (what I am looking for)… instead of requiring a common wire what if the power is extracted in-line with the fixture? But this could be risky because once again it becomes load dependant.
Energy harvesting? Sounds expensive. But I dont know the available technology. Maybe there is some approach that is not.

On the battery operated version, how long does door sensor battery last? Is it problematic to change batteries?

What if all the solutions are battery powered? The installed ones could be more sleek but could have front access batter change door…

To hijack an expression, everything is in the eye of the beholder…

I, for one, have no interest in smart bulbs. Not that there is anything inherently wrong with them, and I can see the appeal of changing colors. But my experience with LED bulbs is that they rarely last their advertised lifetime (I replaced two just yesterday). So besides the extra cost of SMART LED bulbs, they’re still going to need to be replaced. That’s a lot more expensive than just installing dumb bulbs and installing one smart switch per circuit.

I agree that a switch that doesn’t require a hub is preferable, but I believe that a hub is necessary if the switch doesn’t use a neutral wire. The upside to a hub is that it takes some of the load off of your router,

All of this is moot if you live in an apartment (although, wiring switches is so easy putting them in and then taking them out before you move is pretty simple), or if swapping switches doesn’t fall within your skill set.

I’m not arguing with you, BTW. I just don’t think there really is a “most people” scenario. That’s why there are so many varied options, and yet not everyone is satisfied.

As an aside, I LOVE the passion that this topic engenders! Who’d a thunk it?

1 Like

Sounds like I lost you at the second bullet point of the “most people want this functionality” list At least the color part… because it requires a bulb.

I also dont see the need for a basic smart switch going away. It is often a good solution. But my house being so old and somehow without much common wires available, I will need something else for half the time. So I guess “controller” concept is really a different wishlist thread.

Note: I have never had a smart bulb burn out yet. I guess I have only had them for a year.

Often people mistake my nerdiness for passion…:wink:

1 Like

These are just my own wishes and I don’t speak for anyone else. For me safety, consistent operation and transparent to user’s operational behavior is more important to me than price point.

I’m interested in a smart WiFi wall light switch with these attributes as I have a multi-generation household with children:

• Works directly with Wyze application and its suite of products
  • Replaces existing one-way or three-way wall light switch with no neutral with or without dimming function.
  • 10W minimum with a 150W, 120v 50/60 Hz, not to exceed connected load
  • Three-way, multi-location lighting control
  • LED Dimming stepped 0-100%, without drop off, Forward-Phase control compatible, with A-19 socket preference.
  • Local load controlled and doesn’t not require WiFi control to function
  • Front accessible programming lock switch
  • Decora single, double and triple plate style compatible
  • White finish
  • IEC 61000-4-2 electrostatic discharge compliant
  • IEEE C62-.41-1991 surge complaint
  • NEMA 410 - compliant tested in ballast and driver load safety
  • Power failure memory restore
  • 5% voltage variation tolerance to PUC tariff
  • Meets single and double gang space requirements
  • UL listed preferred or ETL
3 Likes

Before Wyze entered my life, I installed Decora dimmer switches and plug-ins with their full-featured app. Never a glitch.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-Decora-Smart-Wi-Fi-600W-Incandescent-300W-LED-Dimmer-No-Hub-Required-Works-with-Alexa-Google-Assistant-and-Nest-R01-DW6HD-1RZ/300799634

2 Likes

Yes, the Leviton, Lutron, Eaton, GE and Legrand are the go-company’s by many of the larger electrical contractors for decades.

It would be great to stand on their decades of experienced lighting shoulders and not reinvent the light switch but just producing a Wyze version with additional functionality that conforms to the Wyze’s business philosophy and market approach.

Agreed. Those are the tried-and-true options currently. But it would be interesting to see whether Wyze has an opportunity to be a value leader here. And the more products they bring into their smart home ecosystem, the more attractive it makes their whole slate of products look, because the interactions can be more seamless.

Even if the Wyze switch replaces the only switch in the circuit it would still be great to act as a three-way switch. By that I mean if the light is turned via Alexa or whatever, I can flip the physical Wyze switch in the opposite direction to turn it off. Or vice-versa.

Are there smart switches that don’t do that, currently? (I don’t have any, so I’m not super familiar with them) In my mind, that’s generally the idea with smart switches. That you can control them from the wall or from the internet and either one will be a seamless interaction regardless of current state.

I have a few and that is how they work, you can control from the wall like a normal switch or from the app

Yeah. And if you turn it off at the wall, you can turn it back on in the app, then off at the wall again, for example, and everything is seamless. Right?

1 Like

That is correct, exactly how they work, would love for WYZE to make some

2 Likes