Wyze Switch - Smart light switch

Please consider making a physical light switch that maintains power to the smartbulb even when the switch is physically set to off.

1 Like

Really! So why does one need a switch if you don’t want the switch to de-engerize the circuit? Also, if the wi-fi is down, guess the only way to turn-off the bulb would be to unscrew it. This also would mean that the socket would always be energized regardless of the switch’s position. Do you also want a smart breaker for the electric panel such that when the breaker is opened/tripped the circuit the bulb is on remains energized (this being an extension of the swith that never shuts off)?

Think you need to re-think your request…

What you’re asking for is a switch that sends out some signal to the smart bulb to tell it to turn-off without cutting the power to the bulb. But then…what if there are multiple bulbs on the circuit? How would one turn-off one bulb using this and not the others?

Use your smart phone or add the Wyze skill to Alexa/Google, give each bulb a different name when setting them up, and if you want, also setup a group and add the bulbs to a group. Then simply use your phone/home smart speaker and control them individually or multiples in a group.

--Jerry
1 Like

You’re response is perfectly logical if everyone in my house used those options. My wife will not and insists on using the light switch. Thus at any given time, have the smart bulbs in my house are useless as there is no power to them. When I saw Phillips Hue release this device I had to get some until I saw the price.

3 Likes

You’re just explaining exactly why smart bulbs are a poor fit for anything controlled by a wall switch, and why Wyze needs to include smart wall dimmers in the lineup. It doesn’t make sense to accommodate the smart bulbs. Get rid of them. Your wife is right. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agreed! I need to be able to use dimmer on the spot besides in the Wyze app… To me it would be a deal breaker unfortunately. Hopefully its just a slide pad with finger as opposed to traditional mechanism in standard dimmer.

I’m curious if Wyze has plans to develop a smart switch/dimmer. I am in the market to purchase a new home system and everything is Wyze now… Cameras, Door Breaks, everything really… except for the switches. My preference would be to hold off on buying Lutron switches assuming Wyze is developing something, but I want to make sure it’s on the roadmap first. Thoughts?

2 Likes

They’ve marked it as “in development” above, which is a good sign. It is definitely on the roadmap but they almost never provide dates.

I hope they make two skews for this now that it is officially in development. A wireless switch to control smart bulbs and a wired switch that controls dumb bulbs.
If they do a wired switch one that doesn’t require a neutral wire for install would be great against the current competition.

Hi you can use contact sensor like trigger for those lights.

Thanks @UserCustomerGwen! I’ll hold off on purchasing my new system until you announce the new product.

Just curious, I was an early adopter of Wyze and am wondering how I can get in on the Beta/Testing program? I’ve worked in IT for 20 years and have held QA roles in my past.

Thanks!

1 Like

With #wyze-bulb hitting the market, the need for a smart light switch that will tell the bulbs to turn on or off without having to speak to a home assistant would be a wonderful addition.

Ideally, this would be a wall switch replacement and install in the wall box in place of existing switches, though it would not need to wire into the circuit since it would be battery operated.

We have smart bulbs in several locations in our home but would like to be able to control them with wall switches in addition to using current home automation solutions because it’s not always convenient to say, “Alexa, turn on the kitchen.”

The existing dumb switches work by cutting power to bulb sockets, which is the same thing existing smart switches do. That’s not what you want with smart bulbs; you need a device that sends commands to the bulb while keeping it energized.

Plus, accidentally turning the dumb switches off means the bulbs won’t work at all until the switch is back on and the bulbs are re-booted. To keep from accidentally turning the existing switches on or off we have installed magnetic switch covers, which don’t look very nice.

A momentary contact smart wall toggle/button device that could be tapped/toggled to tell the bulbs to light/not light/dim/set a scene/change color/etc would be great.

To start with, a battery-only device would be the most versatile because it avoids a lot of pitfalls involved in replacing existing switches and making power connections. Plus, it makes it an option for those that don’t wish to/can’t/aren’t permitted to do electrical work, such as apartment and condo dwellers.

This would be more of a “smart button” design that could be placed anywhere. It would have the same form-factor as a conventional switch so it could be located in a wall box but wouldn’t actually wire into the circuit. For installation, you would remove the old switch and simply wire nut the hot to the switch leg, screw the new device in place, and replace the wall plate.

The new switch device should come with interchangeable face plates included to match the colors found in the consumers’ homes (white, ivory, light almond, brown) to avoid a multitude of SKUs.

Future versions could wire into the lighting circuit to run itself, thus avoiding the maintenance issue a battery-run device would add. These would come with their own issues, though, primarily having the right wire connections being available at all locations.

1 Like

They took too long on this one. People have already moved to other devices. Instead they made headphones, a stick vacuum and a sprinkler. Not like theres about 5-7 switches MINIMUM in every dwelling in the US. Headphones made more sense I guess.

3 Likes

Hello,

I notice my house had a electric Ceiling Gang which to my belief did not had any wires, I decided to open it and I realized the was live wires on the Ceiling gang so I decided to add a Light fixture! all good and it works! Later I realized none of the switches at my house were wired to that wire gang box, luckily I had bought some Wyze smart bulbs y can manage to turn them off with both Alexa and Google assistant, However I know my parents are the type of people that aways wants to make sure its off,

Since Wyze bulbs had become very popular wouldn’t it be a great Idea if Wyze came out with a smart switch that works with these lights! no matter where you place it, Many options in the market require a Neutral Wire and Lutron Casseta are just too expensive. C by GE came out with a concept that does not require a neutral wire however for my use I would have to buy their smart bulbs in order to use the smart switch so why not make a wireless smart switch that pairs with the smart bulbs no matter if its battery powered.

1 Like

It is a good and valid point… have to think about that one… but I still would want to have it be able to go into the wall switch outlet to replace old switch… possibly? The bulbs for me as of right now would not work because I have recess lighting so the bulb heads are not big enough. Something to that affect… but I can see the idea of it…

1 Like

Leviton LevNet RF is one line that allows you to place a relay in the box that will cut off power to the fixture on demand from an unpowered wall switch. Pricey. There’s a brief This Old House video installing them.

I think this is a huge gap in the Wyze ecosystem. I have another brand today and I love the idea but hate the execution. I’ve been keeping an eye on the Orro developments but they are so expensive. Relying on Alexa automations is so limiting because Alexa doesn’t really do “conditions” in their automation. I dream of a world with Wyze smart lights and switches so that automations can be easily configured within a single platform. I really hope this is the next big release :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use smart switches to control REGULAR BULBS. I do not think it makes sense to create a wall switch to control WYZE bulbs (just use a nest hub or similar for that).

The reason I have smart switches is that I have light fixtures that are:

1. Recessed that use BR30, where a Wyze Bulb just won’t light the room correctly.
  2. MULTIPLE bulbs (like a chandelier), or bathroom fixtures (or really, any room with like 5 bulbs).
  • Reason I do this is because I do not want to crowd the WiFi, plus it just doesn’t make sense to attach 8 Wyze bulbs in a chandelier.

For now, I use IFTTT to integrate with Wyze sensors, but they are VERY limited (e.g. can’t do motion timeout).

What I would also want is just a smart switch you can attach anywhere, that behaves like Wyze Sense (which serves as trigger mechanisms for Wyze products). I had to create switches like this using contact sensors, which is hard to use.

This should have been wyze!!!
There is a huge market for new homes having solid installation hardware to make it a smart home. millions of dollars are being lost because wyze has not broken to this market making a solid switch that everybody likes. Take a look at these competitors wyze you should be working with home builders and installing permanent effective home Smart solutions. But the quality needs to come up over what you’re currently giving to be extremely durable. The modular aspect is brilliant from this other company…

1 Like

Smells like bull to me. And they want $55 for a simple smart dimmer switch? Ridiculous. Their designs are cosmetically nice but there appears to be zero substance.