Wyze Switch - Smart light switch

The problem with Smart Bulbs is the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor). My Wife would like to operate everything as if it were not smart. So for me, the best solution to the smart switch would be either a outright smart switch that replaces the bulbs or a smart switch that acts like a normal switch but just issues commands to the smart bulbs or sets a group of bulbs to certain scenes.

18 Likes

Can you guys look into making something like the lutron aurora smart bulb dimmer.

http://www.lutron.com/en-us/products/pages/standalonecontrols/dimmers-switches/smartbulbdimmer/overview.aspx

6 Likes

I love the smart bulbs but I have a lot of “non traditional” lights in my house, a switch with a dimmer option would be much more efficient.

2 Likes

I’ve just installed WiFi switches & dimmers

(Not installed fully as need a deeper back box)

I like the fact that I can say ok Google turn off all lights to turn them off or ok Google good night to turn everything off (lights & plugs)

I use them for 1 way (single switch) 2 way (2 switches) 3 way & 4 way circuits, like the fact that they are all wired 1 way and linked via WiFi

There’s no need to make them 2 way due to the functionality
Also means you can add additional switches powered off a plug etc

3 Likes

I agree with @Urbnized. It’s not only the cost of replacing all the bulbs, but also a switch is way more practical for my kids. They don’t have smart phones (yet) and sometimes getting Alexa to do what you intend is a pain.

4 Likes

Yes switches!

Wyze needs to go after the Lutron Caseta dimmer switches. They work even WITHOUT a neutral wire so can be used with older wiring.

Sometimes you want to walk around your house without lights going on following you, and with sleeping kids or other reasons you don’t want to have to “talk to” every room to turn on the lights.

Switches are well adopted and easier in many scenarios.

Note: Lutron switches do it right where it’s a button an not a physical switch.

12 Likes

I single and or double light switch for rooms with chandeliers or odd size light bulbs. Also would be more feasible with multi bulb fixtures.

1 Like

I would agree with you there. I have Lutron Caseta dimmers and they are awesome. Super easy to install and they were done well. The Google Assistant integration is perfect and no neutral wire required. If they can mimic this at like a $20 priceline, I’d switch for sure.

9 Likes

I would like to see a new Wyze product Smart Switch. I have few of the use cases which i can think of.

1. I can attach the motion sensor to my bathroom and start the lights and exhaust fan when i walk in.
  2. With switch I can use my other color lights and it will be good.
  3. I can program it to turn on outdoor lights after sunset.

Please let me know if there is any roadmap for this. Also keep up the good work.

3 Likes

Yes, I bought, am using, and love the smart bulbs, and I just placed my order for the early access smart plug, and will use for certain things. But, I could literally see myself replacing all the switches in my house with smart switches. I will not switch out all the bulbs in my house though. If you want a product people will buy multiple’s of, produce a smart switch! Both in 2 and 3 way configurations.

5 Likes

Great uses! Here are a couple more:

1. I have outdoor outlets for Christmas Lights, I’d love to get set up on a smart switch.
  2. I have an attic exhaust fan that I would love to have more control over.
  3. My son falls asleep with his ceiling fan on, but gets cold in the middle of the night. A smart switch could be scheduled to turn off at like 2am each night.
3 Likes

The last few posts here indicate some use cases for which a smart plug (as opposed to a smart wall switch) would work. Just want to point out that the Wyze Smart Plug is in testing, coming very soon:

1 Like

I am buying a couple smart plugs and am excited for them, but no, they can not be used in the situations I have mentioned above. That’s why a smart switch is a must have!

3 Likes

The achilles heel of a smart light bulb is that the power has to be on at the switch. If the switch is turned off it doesn’t matter how smart the bulb is, it won’t work. An affordable Wyze Smart Switch could transform all the regular non-smart bulbs to be smart and easily transform a room with one switch. A smart switch that integrates with all of the Wyze sensors and cameras would make it much easier to transform the whole house in a much more efficient solution. You add a smart bulb to areas where you would want the added features such as color temperature control etc. Dimming and non-dimming switch…if a no neutral solution can be figured out even better but not necessary to get started. Clearly a bit more involved in installation but nothing that can’t be overcome with the Wyze user community.

9 Likes

I am loving my smart bulbs and would like to continue to make the rest of my home “smart”, but as pointed out in the above comments a smart switch would round out Wyze’s IOT infrastructure… Is there a timeline on when this product might enter the pipeline?

5 Likes

No there isn’t. The topic will have to move from “maybe-later” to “researching”. Then it will have to move to the Roadmap as “in-development”. Finally it would move to “testing”. So there’s a long way to go and no way to know if or when it might happen.

More info:

https://forums.wyze.com/t/how-to-read-the-roadmap/24968

2 Likes

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation!

1 Like

I just got mine installed a couple weeks ago and would have bought Wyze in an instant… if they come out, I’d swap em for sureeeeIMG_20190807_192946

I went with Moes brand, cause of reviews and also cause I wanted to use the Smart Life app since I have other stuff on there. Even though later I found out I could add them to my Google ecosystem so now I can use it either way, awesome…

3 Likes

This is a must to compete with the old but in my opinion still most versatile smarthome system…X10.

MOD NOTE: unrelated content removed

I was showing my new knee (left) which I use to crawl around at night. NC

1 Like