Shared user playback option

Why can’t shared users access playback? I’m only a shared user because the person who installed it used their account to set the camera up. I’m the primary user. Can I switch it to make myself primary?

10 Likes

Welcome to the Community @nuwaynuday

If the installer set it up via their account, and shared it with you, they would have full control of the camera’s and can live stream whenever they wanted to as well. Since you are the primary, it would be best to have them set it up using your account as primary.

In most cases, they would need to delete the Camera’s from their Device first and then you can pair them with your setup. This would include needing to press the setup button on the camera to do the pairing. So depending on where they are, you may have to climb a ladder (be careful).

But if you are the primary, you really need to have it on your phone and then you share with whomever you want.

2 Likes

Is there not any way to share a camera so the person it is shared to can view playback?

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @zsteves

When you share the Camera with someone, they can view the Live Stream and the recorded Events. They will be able to create Rules in their device for the camera, but not share it with others or Chnage some the Camera Settings.

I have the V3 cam, and when I share with another account, they get no option to view playback or see events. Is there something else that needs to be enabled? They don’t see the timeline for playback or the list of events recorded.

2 Likes

I personally just want an option for shared users to be able to playback video from the SD Card. If they can’t playback video, it almost defeats the purpose of sharing the camera.

14 Likes

The shared person can see the events, but not the playback. When you click on “events”, just choose the cams you want to show up in the events. If the events for the shared cam don’t show up, then if I remember correctly, that means the sharer didn’t set their options to record events to their microSD card.

I just purchased a number of these cameras and accessories. Only got around to setting up two cameras before I realized that shared users won’t be able to access SD card recordings.

I might try setting up the cameras with a “master account” for shared cameras, but this really isn’t ideal.

I expect it’s not going to be worth the hassle and I’ll just end up returning the cameras. It really seemed promising but I guess you can’t have all the bells and whistles at such a low price point.

6 Likes

Sharing your cameras should allow you to be able to share the playback feature as well. Why is playback only available on the main camera account and not the shared accounts?

4 Likes

It takes a lot of programming to make all that stuff work. My guess is because in the beginning they chose one share feature and moved on with all the other features. Plus, another guess is because the one who pays the bill gets the main features.

Does Wyze consider this bug or at least a feature request? I was just about to buy more cameras and this is pretty silly limitation. For our use case there I can use the workaround of a shared account but in general that is a bad practice.

2 Likes

I agree I will have to use a shared account to let my wife see the playback, which unless you get neurotic about watching us the real value. I guess I will have to discontinue 2FA as well so she can get in without needing me. Oversight or whatever it seems strange that I buy licenses per camera but it’s also tied to my account, I haven’t checked but could (or should) she buy licenses also?

I like the cameras and the price, but being locked I to the app and licensing is getting old, I will probably try out some of the 3rd party hacks, like the docker image that reencodes the video stream so it’s a bit more flexible. Only two weeks of history is also one of my chief complaints, having a more standard video stream seems to solve all my hang ups. I’d prefer to pay a little more to have her account same as mine, not double but an extra $5 or something.

It seems really odd to me that there isn’t better permissions handling. It should be up to the primary, or whomever set any camera up, to share with the others and define access level. This needs to be implemented soon.

6 Likes

I too would like to see administrator to allow shared users certain privileges i.e. “Playback” review.

Thanks

3 Likes

I just found this out too when my wife showed me she can’t view the SD card from her account. I found requests for this going back at least 5 years so don’t hold your breath that anyone at Wyze is listening.

4 Likes

This blows. Very disappointed.

1 Like

Applicable wishlist topic, which is tagged as researching/in progess:

2 Likes

Yep, my wife is pissed that I bought 6 V3s and she can’t see history. This was stupid and short-sighted out of the box. Should be disclosed in the advertising too. Fix it Wyze!

Do you know, if we buy the subscription can the shared user see playback… it it just the SD drive that can’t be shared?

3 Likes

No, a shared user cannot see the owner’s playback. But they CAN see the events, if the owner has camplus.

1 Like

Is there a reason your wife is unable to log into the main account in the app that the cameras are set up under?