Set static IP

Network administrator here. A DHCP reservation will do the trick. It’s essentially a static IP for OPs purpose.

If you post a few pictures of your router configuration we can all help with this.

What may need to be done is make a small DHCP scope for just your cameras and convert to a reservation.

Static IPs are honestly more hastle then they are worth. Just log into your router when you need to find something. Or make reservations.

2 Likes

… Then you shouldn’t be statically configuring ip addresses on any device …

If you want to statically assign ips: first, you need to take them out of the dhcp pool. It sounds like you forgot that step when you were setting up your network.

I think it’d be nice to be able to set a static address on my wyze cams too. But that’s a major feature add. It would have to be done via reworking how the qr codes are generated and decoded, and it’s going to be used by basically just you. So I don’t think it’s worth development time.

If you want things to have the same address, DHCP Reservations are the ‘right way’ to do that. It puts all the configuration effort into one place (your dhcp server) which can be easily secured and backed up.

I like to keep devices on non-changing IPs for easier traffic analysis and firewall configuration. I use reservations for my wyze cams, and they work just fine to keep the same ip on each cam.

MAC addresses are hard coded into the Ethernet controller, so no, MACs don’t change. Unless of course the device’s software allows for MAC spoofing and the user uses said feature. There’s a reason why Cisco’s IOS refers to MAC addresses of their interfaces as a ‘burned in address’ (BIA).

I’ve logically segment my local network, and use static DHCP reservations for every device on my network. Not once had a problem with a device changing its MAC on its own.

Please explain why you believe the Mac address is changing. It is not btw.

I have set the cameras using DHCP reservation. Thanks everyone.

I also use stactic IPs on my camera. Using dynamic assignment allows alot of errors when routers get rebooted, and sames goes 4 mac address assignments. 3rd party apps works better with stactic IPs, it seeks that IP & display the vdo stream. Can’t do that w/ Wyze cams w/ dynamic IPs. Was thinking of installing Wyze, but w/ dynamic assignment, I’ll hold off b4 getting more camera’s. W/ all these opinion in these forum, it’s all work around & NOT solution of what the users are asking for. The tech support should see this as an opportunity 2 improve their product. I, myself, love the Wyze camera bcuz 1-small footprint, 2-micro-sd slot, 3-gr8 pan & tilt w/ magnetic mount, 4-nite vision, 5-motion detection, 6-ecnomical $. Stactic IP option would make it more sweet.

Thats a work around, not a solution. As a netwk admjn, U should know that. Gues U’re not a CCIE.k

This is basic network fundamentals and nowhere near even CCNA level, let alone CCIE level. OP took the solid advice of numerous others in this thread as the only viable work around. If you have a suggestion or issue with how the product works, submit a request to the Wyze team. For a simple explanation of MAC addressing, see MAC address - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia