Set static IP

All of my devices on my network are set to use a static IP except for my cameras. Sometimes they connect to the IP that another device uses so it would be great if we could set a static IP.

2 Likes

Just checking… have you made sure that your DHCP range does not overlap with any of the static IPs that you are using?

1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean.

The cameras are assigned their IP addresses on the local network via DHCP. Your router should have settings to control the range of addresses to allowed to be assigned via DHCP. If any of your static IP addresses fall into this range, then that is how you can get two devices trying to use one IP address. You need to set the DHCP address range so that there is no overlap with the static IPs you are using.

Why, by the way, are you using static IPs? It is not generally recommended unless you have a very good reason.

I dont use DHCP. And I use static IPs for port forwarding to specific devices.

Check your router settings to see if you can “reserve” or “manually assign” an IP address to the camera. Typically one would use the MAC address (which can be found on the bottom of the camera base for the Wyze Cam), or in the Device Info on the Wyze App when setting up a reserved/assigned IP address.

This way every time the camera is rebooted or powered on the router will assign the same IP address to the camera. Here is how it looks on my Asus router with the IP address assigned to the Wyze Cam.

3 Likes

I assume you are using MAC to assign IP? If so, these cams do have 2 MAC addresses, one is Wyze’s and the other is the one from the factory.

It can use the one from the factory if there is a bind error, and no, I am unsure why that happens, I just have seen it happen before.
They also do NAT punching as well.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t the cameras only use DHCP to obtain an IP address? I don’t know how you would set a static IP on these cameras if not.

1 Like

See if your router can handle a static reservation. This will allow you to assign the same ip address each time.

1 Like

That’s essentially what I intend to do only every other device I’ve set the IP on that device. I will see if I can do it on my router. Thanks.

Yeah, these cams use DHCP to get an IP address.

1 Like

Like @bennor3814 said, I let my cams grab a IP in my DHCP range when I set them up, then logged into my router and “set a reservation”/“manually assigned” them to an IP outside my DHCP range. So, they still ask the network for an IP, but my router always dishes out the same IP to them.

1 Like

I don’t see the benefit of this. Why not just let them use their assigned DHCP address?

@Loki
There is no explicit benefit, unless the OP has incorrectly configured his/her router. The problem that’s described here is that sometimes the Wyzecams (which use DHCP to obtain an address) are getting a lease of an address that some other device has already configured statically. The problem is the OP’s router doesn’t know about those statically-assigned addresses, and so it happily assigns to the Wyzecam an address already in use. If one is going to configure LAN hosts with static addresses, the onus is on the user to limit the DHCP scope, and ensure that any addresses assigned statically are excluded from the scope.

One common practice is to split the /24 subnet into two portions: one (say dot-1 to dot-100 for statically assigned devices) and another portion (say dot-101 to dot-254) for the DHCP scope. Within the DHCP scope, one can then use DHCP reservation if desired to ensure that the devices using DHCP will get the same (and known) IP address.

1 Like

I’m not sure how to do this as I’ve never had this problem. These are the first devices I’ve ever owned where I couldn’t set a static IP. I don’t see why this option just can’t be added.

Yes, exactly what I was trying to say (although not as eloquently as you @kyphos).

If you haven’t had this problem before, then you’ve honestly just been lucky.

I’m sure even the crappiest, off-the-shelf consumer router has an option to set the DHCP pool size/range.

Login to your router’s web GUI and have a look around.

1 Like

jsanagustim.87 got it right.

1 Like

I absolutly agree with others to set the DHCP pool to something like 100 to 255 for the last digit and use the lower numbers to fixed IP. Your router probably have 1 and you can set repeaters and computers to the fixed lower numbers but always be sure not to mix them up, write them down in a document. If one device are turned off you will not see it in the router and you might think that the IP is free to use, it has happened to me.

When DHCP devices logon you can always in every router see its IP number and hardware mac address and select to give that mac address a fixed IP address. If you then after the initail setup of the device can set a fixed IP in the device, you only have take a quick look in your document and give it the correct fixed address that will always overide anything that are set in the router, even if it means it will crash with someone elses IP address, so be careful to write everything down.

I have a surveilance camera application iSpy that uses fixed IP for each camera and it would be a disaster if my cameras used a DHCP IP address that couldn’t be locked be using the mac address in my router or a fixed IP in the camera.

Remember that if you incorrectly set a fixed IP address in the range where the DHCP have its pool and you turn off that that device the router will after a time out period give out that IP address to someone else and as you first device use a fixed IP it will try to use that when you power it on and you have created a problem that seems very mystierous and strange.

/Ubbe

Just do it at the router!

Figure out the MAC and assign that MAC to an IP. If you happen to have a Google Wifi Setup, it’s extremely easy to assign it a static IP.

Time changing the code on the cam for DHCP vs Static is time not devoted to having a web interface I can use on a web browser on a computer, or casting to google cast for on the TV.

1 Like