Is there a way I can have Alexa announce when the back door is Left open either After sunset or a certain time using my back door sensor?
I believe you can create a routine that will do it but don’t guarantee it. But here’s how I would do it
1-name your routine
2-when I ask you when this happens select smart devices and then select the contact sensor that you want to manage Then select open
3-under any time select change and then you would you can’t put in like two hours but you could put in a timeframe say like 6 PM to 8 PM. And you can select what days you want it to run on.
4-Then for ad action select Alexa says and either use one of theirs that they already have or do a customized saying of whatever you want to say.
You can give that a shot let me know how it works
@paindonthurt is correct about the routine. Alexa does have a sunrise/sunset trigger but for yet some reason it doesn’t connect with the contact sensors , at least that I can see. Don’t understand that.
This should work, as he described. It’s a workaround, but…
This is pretty close however it is looking for a change in state not necessarily that the sensor is already open. Thanks for all your help.
As far as I am aware, like you stated, there is no way for a ‘sensor left open for’ in Alexa. I did find a way to make it work but it involves a convoluted work around and I had to use WYZE, SmartThings, WebCore and Alexa.
You are a smart man, can you share your solution?
Here is what I did to force it to work, do not know how reliable it is
- Build Virtual Motion Sensor in Smartthings and make it known to Alexa and Webcore.
- Build Virtual Switch in Smartthings and make it known to Alexa and Webcore.
- Build IFTTT applet that when WYZE door sensor opens it triggers Virtual Switch created in Step 2 to trigger on.
- Build IFTTT applet that when WYZE door sensor closes it triggers Virtual Switch created in Step 2 to trigger off.
- Build Webcore program that when Virtual Switch is turned on it shows motion on Virtual Sensor and set to run Sunset to Sunrise
- Build Webcore program that when Virtual Switch is turned off it shows no motion on Virtual Sensor set to always run
- Builf Alexa routine that triggers on Motion of Virtual sensor with result of announcing the door is open.
There may be an easier way to do it but I was able to throw that together with things I already had working. It would require a SmartThings hub and a bit of knowledge but is fairly simple.