Sensor door open announced by Alexa

Is there a way I can have Alexa announce when the back door is Left open either After sunset or a certain time using my back door sensor?

1 Like

I believe you can create a routine that will do it but don’t guarantee it. But here’s how I would do it

1-name your routine
2-when I ask you when this happens select smart devices and then select the contact sensor that you want to manage Then select open
3-under any time select change and then you would you can’t put in like two hours but you could put in a timeframe say like 6 PM to 8 PM. And you can select what days you want it to run on.
4-Then for ad action select Alexa says and either use one of theirs that they already have or do a customized saying of whatever you want to say.

You can give that a shot let me know how it works

1 Like

@paindonthurt is correct about the routine. Alexa does have a sunrise/sunset trigger but for yet some reason it doesn’t connect with the contact sensors , at least that I can see. Don’t understand that.
This should work, as he described. It’s a workaround, but…

1 Like

This is pretty close however it is looking for a change in state not necessarily that the sensor is already open. Thanks for all your help.

1 Like

As far as I am aware, like you stated, there is no way for a ‘sensor left open for’ in Alexa. I did find a way to make it work but it involves a convoluted work around and I had to use WYZE, SmartThings, WebCore and Alexa.

You are a smart man, can you share your solution?

Here is what I did to force it to work, do not know how reliable it is

1. Build Virtual Motion Sensor in Smartthings and make it known to Alexa and Webcore.
  2. Build Virtual Switch in Smartthings and make it known to Alexa and Webcore.
  3. Build IFTTT applet that when WYZE door sensor opens it triggers Virtual Switch created in Step 2 to trigger on.
  4. Build IFTTT applet that when WYZE door sensor closes it triggers Virtual Switch created in Step 2 to trigger off.
  5. Build Webcore program that when Virtual Switch is turned on it shows motion on Virtual Sensor and set to run Sunset to Sunrise
  6. Build Webcore program that when Virtual Switch is turned off it shows no motion on Virtual Sensor set to always run
  7. Builf Alexa routine that triggers on Motion of Virtual sensor with result of announcing the door is open.

There may be an easier way to do it but I was able to throw that together with things I already had working. It would require a SmartThings hub and a bit of knowledge but is fairly simple.