Sense + Bulb + Shortcut = Garage Door Warning

Ha, yup, that’d work for sure. However, I’m too cheap to blow a $10 battery on such a test. :smiley: I’d be more likely to install the sensor on my garage door and wing it. :wink:

And it would need to be very near by, as the freezer is mostly a faraday cage.

1 Like

I was thinking that on those occasions when the freezer door is opened to retrieve something a sensor signal would escape and be picked up by the bridge. What kind of animal is a Faraday?

2 Likes

LOL. A Faraday is most definitely a creature that must be contained in a cage.

But yes, when the door is opened, the Faraday is released!

1 Like

This video describes an inexpensive solution. I tried it, and It has worked well so far.

7 Likes

How would you do this with two doors? You would not turn off the lift if either of the doors was open - assuming they both have their own sense sensors. IFTTT appears to be limited to just a single trigger.

I setup the same thing works great. I have a wyze sensor on the door and have it set to notify me if it is left open an hour then I can close it with Alexa or the app.

1 Like

Thanks for the great idea. I sometimes leave mine open at night so I set my rule to say if the garage door has been open for more than XX minutes at ?:00pm alert me.

Unless you are muting notifications prior ?:00 pm, I don’t think the Wyze app supports what you are describing. Can you elaborate?

Great minds think alike! I set mine up exactly the same way, using a lamp in the living room. I added and extra alert if the garage has been left open for 7 minutes, just as reminder.

Use lithium batteries. They perform so much better in colder climates. I live where it gets to -30C and I use lithium batteries in my outdoor weather station sensors.

1 Like

Agreed. I hope Wyze puts Li-ion batteries in their sensors, but I haven’t checked. What I’m wondering is how much better they perform. Do they last two months instead of just one (which still isn’t enough IMO) or is it even better than that? (It gets that cold in Chicago, too.)

does anyone know where I can see more on using/writing short cuts?

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360030764911-Schedules-and-Automations

How to create a shortcut:

• To add a shortcut, tap […] in the top-right of the Home screen of the Wyze app. Then, tap Edit Shortcuts.
  • At the bottom of the next screen, tap Create Shortcut.
  • Enter a name and set your icon by tapping the current icon. It will allow you to select from five icon types: I’m home, I’m away, Go to bed, Wake up, and Other. Tap the icon you want.
  • Add an action. There is no limit to how many actions a single device can perform in a trigger or how many devices can be affected by a trigger. You can even select a group of Wyze Cams to have the entire group affected by whichever Action you select.
    • Wyze Cam v1/v2 – Turn motion detection on/off, restart the camera, and upload a 12-second video to the cloud, Turn notifications on/off
    • Wyze Cam Pan – Turn motion detection on/off, restart the camera, upload a 12-second video to the cloud, Turn notifications on/off, and reset position
    • Note:The 12-second videos will show up as an “auto scene event” in the Notifications tab.
    • Tap Save to save the action
    • Tap the back arrow to return to the Shortcut page or tap Edit to delete or rearrange your actions.
  • If you would like to automate your shortcut on a schedule or an event, toggle on Automate and choose an Event or Time of day and days of the week to automate the action.
  • Tap Done in the upper right corner to save your shortcut.
  • To check if your shortcut is working, go to the Account tab and tap on Shortcut History . It will show if a shortcut was triggered, when it triggered, and if it was successful or failed to complete.

How to modify a shortcut:

• To edit a shortcut, tap on the […] in the top-right of the Home tab of the Wyze app. Then tap Edit Shortcuts.
  • On the next screen, tap the shortcut you want to edit.
  • To delete a shortcut, tap Edit in the upper left corner of the Shortcuts screen and tap on the Delete button next to the shortcut you want to delete.
  • To rearrange a list of shortcuts, tap Edit in the upper left corner of the Shortcuts screen. Tap and drag the two lines on the side of the Shortcut that you’d like to rearrange.
2 Likes

You are correct about getting the notifications every time the door opens or closes. I’m OK with that for the moment but will be researching other options before moving to the light bulb solution.

Here’s a post I wrote earlier that outlines one alternative.

I use IFTTT to smartthings to webcore to achieve this. doors close if there is no motion in the garage for 10 minutes. If motion starts again before closing… reset the timer.

$10 battery. Where do you live?? I am also curious because my sensor is installed in the coldest spot on the door. We will see in a few months.

I’m outside Chicago, and even with an insulated garage, it gets pretty cold in there. I don’t want to burn a $10 battery every month of winter, especially when it’d be cold when I have to replace it. If that’s the case, it’d be cheaper (and lazier) to buy a small powered PCB with a connected door sensor and avoid the issue altogether.

What ?
CR1632 batteries don’t cost $10 for one battery

1 Like