Security vs Freedom

I recently set up one camera peering outside from 8’ above my front door and thought I would be clever, as it is not immediately noticeable, so I put a note on my front door that reads ‘Smile,’ with an arrow pointing up at the obscure device. Then I thought, maybe this would alert the intruder that perhaps he should find an unmonitored way in. Then I thought, by that time, he would already be recorded. Then I thought I could buy 27 cam’s and cover every window, door, mouse/squirrel, raccoon hole. Then I thought what do I have that is so damn irreplaceable anyway. Then I thought, i didn’t feel this way in my 20’s, and now I’m closer to the end then to the beginning. Now I’m thinking maybe I’ll just give away all my possessions and live off the grid, and how liberating that would be. All I need is this… uh…chair and, maybe, this lamp…and maybe some Prozac. Oh, yeah and my 2 dogs. Thoughts? Hurry, the power is going down wednesday…

dog-nose.jpg

You are the only person that can determine how much security or freedom you need. Everybody’s needs are different and changes with time.

Good Luck

Speaking of Security. The WYZE product page says “Secure AWS Cloud Storage: Wyze Cam uses end-to-end encryption for uploading and storing alert videos in the AWS cloud.”

Can anyone tell me what encryption algorithm is used for the end-to-end encryption? (I actually teach crypto and security, and I’m working on new sections on security in the Internet of Things.) I’d assume that the algorithm is implemented in the camera’s firmware, and in the mobile app. Just want to know which algorithm(s) is/are being used. Thanks!

Per the FAQ:
How do you make sure my personal data and video stream are secure?
We take our customers’ data safety very seriously. The communication between your mobile device, the Wyze Cam, and the AWS Cloud Server are made via https (Transport Layer Security (TLS)). We used symmetric and asymmetric encryption, hashing and other ways to make sure users’ information cannot be stolen. Each camera has its own secret key and certificate so that we can validate its identity during handshake. The contents are encrypted via AES 128-bit encryption to protect the data. Even if a hacker intercepts the data package, the data cannot be decrypted