Security system or not?

I agree completely. I’m in the same boat. I enjoy the cost-effective peace of mind it provides. I definitely use Wyze to monitor my house when I’m away. I just don’t consider it to fit my definition of a “security system.”

Also… it’s image, not image. That’s been bugging me. :laughing:

3 Likes

OMG! Perhaps too much finance on my mind!

Totally my oversight - thanks for saying something!

Egg on my face, for sure!

2 Likes

Haha. Nah, not really. I knew what you meant. :slight_smile:

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I don’t thing a disclaimer is a problem either in general. I do think it is a little too convenient however when others post “ it isn’t meant for that” or similar when someone complains it’s not been reliable watching their door. It isn’t officially a security system, but it sure is the common use

1 Like

I don’t think so really. In general, the products should work. I haven’t experienced major issues with my cameras missing things, for example. That leads me to believe that people who DO experience those issues likely have other issues. Maybe they have a faulty camera. If cameras are faulty, Wyze is great about sending replacements if you reach out to support. Maybe they have a poor network setup. Maybe they’ve placed the product(s) poorly. If so, those aren’t things Wyze can control, and those are precisely the things that make them different from a “security company” that will come out, inspect your equipment, make sure you understand how to use it, and make sure everything is optimized correctly.

1 Like

Security. I bought mine at Home Depot after researching inexpensive small security cameras that can record any/and all events that might happen in my home , present or not! I didn’t buy a Wyze camera just for it hangout around my place. Hell you think I want today’s technology invading my privacy, hells no!

I also agree with the assessment that there are so many people with countless network environments - Wyze absolutely cannot be accountable for all those variables (eg poor network connection, junk configuration, etc…).

1 Like

Countless network environments? @mailmeoffers

Wyze can’t be held accountable for someone stealing Wifi from a neighbor, for instance, where that connection can’t be trusted to be secure as it’s not maintained by the camera owner.

Another example - someone who’s WiFi network utilizes an ADSL backhaul; in this example, the network would not reliably have enough bandwidth to stream the video.

There are too many variables here. That’s why companies like ADT provide the entire solution.

1 Like

@mailmeoffers I was just adding in. The original post , Security or not?
For me, I bought for some security factors. Which leads me to another factor here.

Wyze IS a security camera. It’s general purpose is for that reason. It sits next to Arlo and Nest, so for that alone it’s advertised as a factor of security for consumers. Whether you use it, or how you use it is up to the consumer. I mean if you’re a perve then it could be said you want to watch people. But that goes for ALL cameras listed as “security”, or “surveillance “.

Ah see now you have said something I can respond too directly. My doctor will happily tell you that the blood pressure devices sold in say your local pharmacy, are little more than toys. They are useful in spotting trends but they are typically not maintained well. Never recalibrated and not often used properly. Hence the disclaimers. As both a heart attack and major stroke survivor I can say with 100% confidence that the blood pressure cuff I use at home is sold by a medical supply company without the disclaimer and gets recalibrated every 30 days. My life literally depends on it.

So using your example is apt. The store bought one is okay for some tasks but if your life depends on it please don’t take a DIY approach.

Believe me I do get your point. But in all honesty Wyze’s equipment does not qualify as security equipment by any definition I am aware of. Other than DIY consumer.

I could use a Ruger .22 carbine to go elephant hunting. I might, if I was very lucky, even bring one down with it. It’s certainly a rifle, and potentially lethal. But it’s not even close to the proper equipment to use.

To be clear no elephants were hurt in this post, nor do I in any way advocate elephant hunting as I personally find the practice abominable.

3 Likes

Love this disclaimer. :+1:

3 Likes

Doesn’t matter if Wyze is considered a security system or not, as customers who value against the idea of being hacked, please secure both the website and Wyze accounts with Google Authentication or any other 2FA other than relying solely on SMS…

Is it really this difficult to understand?? Honestly don’t know why they are making this such an issue and not supporting it… Better yet… Why the silent treatment with no official reply from the company???

3 Likes

Exactly.

Hopefully you added your vote to the relevant Wishlist item?

I bought a reputable alarm system like what you might have installed for “free” with the monthly contract, but i bought it outright, installed it myself (my drywall has forgiven me), got the gsm card, and shopped my own alarm company,

What stinks about gsm is that a sizable portion of your monthly bill is just licensing out the cost to connect with gsm. You might transmit 100kb of data perhaps, and it’s still Like 13 bucks, or around that, just to cover gsm access plus the alarm company overhead and profit.

I don’t have a problem so much with the data collection with these spy bots people own, but because they do traffic in information I’m cynical when it comes to them listening when you don’t think they are.

There are devices that sit over the microphone and play white noise until it heard you say the word that would cause the main device to start listening, then it lets your voice pass through. I could almost go for that. Really i wish that Mozilla’s machine learning voice project may one dash become open source and less sophisticated versions of personal assistants could be flashed into some device and you know what you are getting.

1 Like

Not sure I’m following you, but I believe you and I share the same position. Despite marketing terminology, cameras such as these may be considered security devices, particularly if this is the intent/purpose with the manner in which their being deployed by the user base.

Note: I will not go so far as to say it’s a “complete security system” or even a “redundant”, or “top-of-class” system. But I am sure it’s not being marketed as a security camera, but equally so, it’s also not being marketed as a pet cam/baby cam.

This was owed to you sooner than now - thank you for your service.

It’s not? Check out the marketing materials. I see zero burglars. I see lots of pets and babies.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Just sayin’.

Wyze Cam Pan v3 | Remotely Spins 360°, Tilts 180° to view Security Cam, Baby Monitor, Pet Camera – Wyze Labs, Inc.
Indoor/Outdoor, Wired Security Camera | Wyze Cam v3 – Wyze Labs, Inc.

3 Likes

I don t think Wyze is a CQ system …a home monitor system with some bugs.
I experienced a notification drop about a month ago which lasted about 2 days. The recent data thing also …
Both event left me worrying about my sister which needs an eye on.
Unable to view her so thank goodness for Alexa … I used drop in feature to take to her till I got back.
The neighbors are close so …with all the fail safe u can have can still fail.
That’s just life …

signed…the newbie.