sd card write protected

my wyzecam write protected my sd card after it save 5 gb of video. Now wyzecam won’t save any file on it and I can’t format my sd card at all with a computer or the use of any camera.

There should be a tiny switch on the side of the sd card, says locked in one position. If it is locked, slide it away from the “locked” and you should be good to go.

What brand and reported size is your micro SD card? Was it excessively hot when you removed it?

flash memory has limited write cycles. It also has a microcontroller and extra memory that it can remap to make it appear that the device is error free.

If a card has used all its “spare” capacity to replace bad cells, it will write protect itself to protect your data.

I had a counterfeit USB flash drive that was given to me by someone that bought it off ebay. It reported more capacity than it really held, and everything was fine until you exceeded the true capacity.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/test-and-detect-fake-or-counterfeit-usb-flash-drives-bought-from-ebay-with-h2testw/

Hopefully that isn’t the problem.

If you can still read the data off the card, and it is something you want to save, back the data up to a hard drive. Then google

microsd write protected

I can’t vouch for this but it looks legit at first glance http://howtorecover.me/remove-write-protection-microsd-memory-card

Always scan any programs you download off the web with something like Google’s VirusTotal (google it). The fresher something is, the more likely it will not be detected by the virus scanners, because they haven’t had a chance to recognize it as malware. The point being, if the .exe you download was just uploaded yesterday, be more suspicious of it than something that was first analyzed over a month ago, and shows up clean. Sometimes some of the virus detection engines will have false positive matches (say it is infected when it really isn’t).

If you are able to use one of the “recovery” methods to unlock the drive, then run h2testw. If that passes then you will know that the card can write to the full capacity and read it back. It will also report how long it took and the average write and read speed. In general, the longer it takes, the lower the quality of the card. Many “generic” class 10 cards can’t write at 10 MB/s. My advice is to buy good quality SD cards, especially if they will have a high write/read ratio. For a vehicle dash cam I would recommend a high endurance card, because by their nature, they are written to more than read from.

I have never seen a microSD with a write protect switch. A normal full sized SD does have a switch that gives an indication to the host that it is not supposed to write to the card.

Oops, was thinking of full size SD with switch.