SD card record icon?

How can I tell (make sure) that I’m actually recording to my SD card w/o going into each cameras settings to check the local… was hoping there would be a red dot or something on the live stream showing that it is being recorded. Or am I missing something?
Thanks

Welcome to the community, @srushj. Go to your camera’s live stream, then tap on playback at the bottom. If the SD card is working properly, you will see all the recorded footage.

2 Likes

Sounds like an excellent wish list item, @Loki!

I actually had this problem just today. A camera I have been abusing with high heat didn’t record anything over the last 2 days. I reset it, and so far it is fine. But it would be really cool if a cam could read its own recording a minute later, and confirm that recording is happening by lighting a red dot on the live feed view. Maybe a blinking red light. Maybe a yellow indicator if if isn’t recording, with maybe a notification as well.

1 Like

Yeah! That would be a nice feature added. :smiley:

1 Like

@StopICU33, I did find that feature by mistake, but was looking for something more easily noticeable. I use the live stream to check on an ill family member and record also, so would like to be able to make sure while I’m checking the live stream.

I understand what you mean, it would be nice to have a recording indicator on live stream at the bottom of the screen next to the time stamp. A blinking red light would be great. I’ll discuss this with the other mavens. @Newshound

I think this could be incorporated together with this existing Wishlist item:

2 Likes

A solid red dot icon would be good enough for me to indicate recording. Blinking could be a distraction.

Going into playback is how I currently check.

1 Like

Sounds good! That would be better, agreed. :grinning:

1 Like

Dissenting opinion here. In general, it’s better to be warned that something is broken, rather than to indicate that things are running well. The latter should be the default situation

Combine that in this particular instance, the user is doing playback. If there’s a need for an indicator at this point, it’s when the recording function is broken. Besides, the user should be warned about this error before he even gets to the playback screen.

Guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree. I’m ALWAYS checking to make sure it’s recording, as I’m not quite sure of its reliability. I’d have to equate it to electric cars when they first came out. They were SO quiet that people couldn’t hear them coming and there were some incidences. They ended up adding some noise so they could be heard. Maybe over time I’ll get used to it.

2 Likes

I think they can do both. Red light for those continuously recording to a SD card and have live feed up. Notification any time the read of the previous minute fails. And of course a change of the light if you have a live feed up. They could also add a second notification that notifies you it is back up if the last known status was it was down.

So 1 notification for each state, and a current status light in any associated live feed window.

2 Likes

I like that idea.