SD card playback and recording problems

This may sound strange but, how strong is your phone signal? I was having phone problems (Wyze cam & others) with a weak phone signal (1 bar in 4G) got a network extender from Verizon and everything is working much better now (all bars lit).

I’ve done another search for current bugs, and all I found was a list of release notes. I’m also thinking it would be nice to know which ones are being worked on.

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/sections/360001763251-Release-Notes

Thanks for the update. I’m coming to the conclusion, there’s a lot broken. A lot. Then reading the first four items on the OS release notes… Not even sure where to start with that.

Wyze is working on a public facing known issues page that can be more easily updated frequently. Hopefully it will be in place soon.

1 Like

I am using the home wifi to view the camera feed - I am connected to the same wifi (even the same router) that all cameras are connected to.

Good day. @OverWatch - just a quick question: when you still used your SD card in the “event recording mode”, when you compared the events in the cloud and the timing of the recordings on the SD card, did you ever notice the SD card claiming there was a recording (by means of showing the green bars in the timeline) while there was no event recorded in the cloud? I just noticed it today.

I have been focusing on the one camera, but I see the same issues (albeit less frequently) on the others.

I do hope that all those known issues get resolved (I have yet to look at the list you mentioned) as I find these cameras have far more to offer than another providers whose hardware I will be removing from the house soon.

Absolutely! I had push notices and cloud videos that had no SD card video to match. The green bars are even less reliable, I think. The green bar issue is just more obvious showing green with no video and video with no green bar. I mean, how many people are actually logging Events and logging playback and comparing them? If something is triggering a push notice and cloud video and I don’t have the entire event on the SD card? That’s a real problem, so I had to go with continuous recording. Now, I did not pull the SD card and compare the actual files to Event videos or to green bars, but I lost confidence in the “Record events only” mode and I don’t rely on the green bars.

Exactly! I like the cameras and I want them to work. As Rick pointed out, Wyze is working on a ‘public facing known bug list’ (they called it bug in the other thread). It just gets frustrating trying to use features that don’t work. My neighborhood is full of Nest and Ring cameras and as a Neighborhood Watch Coordinator I though I had found a great alternative, but I’m troubleshooting way too many existing “features”.

Agreed @OverWatch. So, just to make sure I am not missing anything: the most reliable way for me not to miss anything is, of course, to switch to continuous recording and then check the events listing to know where to look in the SD recording. Not ideal, but better than nothing - until the issue gets fixed.

One advantage of the Events only mode is as long as there is movement, you should get one minute of video. This meant you should have been able to rely on having motion captured even during the five minute cool-down period. This meant every video had movement and you didn’t wade through hours and hours of nothing, but when I discovered missing video, that all went away. So yes, I look for event videos and then go to my continuous playback. Also, frequently checking for signs of mischief within the 6-7 days of recording. If I discover something missing or damaged after that, there will be no video. Better than nothing, yes.

Hi @FrauSchlau,

I recently got a wyze cam V2 and am experiencing the exact same issues.
Did you end up finding a solution to this?

Hi @Jim129,

No, not really. Overall, things work well enough that I get what I need from these cameras. The latest app release was a disappointment, though, - I am sure you have seen the dialog here in the forums. I rolled back to the previous version.

The issues I see: occasionally, for no reason at all, a camera will stop registering events and, thus, recording them on the SD. I still see green bars suggesting there is a recording when I review the SD, but there is actually nothing there. After physically unplugging the camera and plugging it back in, I usually get things to work.

Another issue with recordings: occasionally, again for no reason at all, the camera starts claiming there is no SD installed. This one requires a hard reset - and this one is odd: although I follow the instructions to do a factory reset, it does not happen and the camera goes back to the same state and firmware version as there was before.

From my perspective: overall, these cameras help me keep an eye on elderly relatives, and I am really grateful for the technology. The occasional flaws that I see - I can live with, and Wyze is way better than another provider whose equipment I bought previously.

Not sure if this is exactly the answer you were looking for. I will be happy to answer further questions, of course.

I have the exact same issues as you, except the format card issue, well the app becomes unresponsive but then I close it and open it and the card was formated, but the playback for SD cards is ridiculous, it used to work great and also the new update that added the ability to watch the continuation of the cloud video through the SD card is stupid cause it used to be instant and take me directly to the continuation without hesitation but now suddenly it takes about 20 seconds to load up and says trying to connect yada yada, and finally connects and the green bars don’t show up until much later and some green bars are missing where there’s footage and when I move the slider to other green bars it just stops working all together, I hate it and it’s making me have these cameras pointless

Hello again,

First, huge thanks to everyone who replied.
I followed the advice of replacing the Sandisk cards with Sandisk’s HighEndurance 32GB option (I was not able to find 16GB or lower). The first card died after… A MONTH. The Wyze app - under “advanced options”, “local storage” - shows 10MB out of 0 available. Formatting the card via the app does not work. Worse yet - when I pop the card into my PC, the drive does not even show up. Trying to use the command line and entering the format command gets “drive does not exist”.

Has anyone had the same issues? Is it the camera? Or have I just been fortunate enough to lose all 11 “regular” cards and the purchase the one-in-a-million defective “High Endurance” card?

I tried resetting the camera to factory defaults, by the way - that did not resolve the issue.

So, I will try replacing the newest High Endurance Sandisk card with another one. If that one dies within a month - I will be tempted to blame the camera.

As always - any and all input will be greatly appreciated.