SD Card Melting

Self-extinguishing? Wow. That is amazing. All for $25.

1 Like

Sarcasm meter overload detected.

4 Likes

I contacted customer support. They didnā€™t reply. It appears that Wyze is hoping this concern will just go away.

1 Like

It is clear that based on the extremely low reported instances that this is not a systemic issue IMHO. More IPhones/galaxy phones melted in peoples pockets several years ago and here we all are buying them. What specifics are you hoping to hear from them? A guarantee that it will never happen in your specific camera with your specific SD card? With the sheer number of cameras in the wild fully functioning with cards I have no reservations. If there were 100ā€™s of people on here posting pictures and complaining that would be a different story. In my personal and professional opinion, considering I started this thread, more out of curiosity than concern,I feel WYZE has already gone above and beyond most other companies.

2 Likes

They havenā€™t done anything. They said they would research the problem and share the results. They are just waiting it out. And you donā€™t know the frequency of occurrence regarding the issue.

Considering how active this forum is along with the variety of Facebook groups Iā€™m very confident it is very low. Also to say they ā€œhavenā€™t done anything ā€œ is just blatantly false.

2 Likes

They havenā€™t done anything. No response other than ā€œweā€™ll look into it.ā€ I use a lot of electronic devices with SD cards. None of them melt. Your welcome to your opinion, but your confidence is unwarranted.

WADR so is your criticism. A quick google search shows that SD cards melting in a variety of products is far from unusual.

4 Likes

As a person who does analysis for customer service you cant say ā€œThey havenā€™t done anything.ā€ Unless youre employed there you dont know what theyve done or havent done. Some issues require a ā€œdeeper diveā€ than others. Am I defending them, NO! I would think they would be making this issue priority #1.

1 Like

The date stamp you see at the top if April 16, 2019 (not April of 2016).

3 Likes

@mer.54, could you please give me your support ticket number? I gave the support team a heads up that you were waiting for a reply this morning and would like to look into it if you havenā€™t heard back yet. We apologize for the delay and appreciate you letting us know.

@alrjr2001, this is a top priority issue for us. But this is one that we want to be very careful with because of how important it is.

3 Likes

Well this is my first ever post on this forum, but I have to make it.

First of all I would like to excuse my broken English as Iā€™m not a native speaker. [deleted]

Now back to the issue with melting cameras.

Even if the camera itself it is made from fire retardant material and the camera itself needs lot more ā€œenergyā€ to caught fire, the materials around it are not, and I doubt that all materials from the camera guts are made from the same material (cipsets, mb, the wiring, etc from the inside of the camera), but mostly the materials surrounding the camera (shelfā€™s, desks, etc) are certainly not made from fire retardant material, but the opposite, mostly from flammable materials ( wood and plastic )

This issue is more serious than any other issue Wyze may encounter, because it is at risk our homes and families, yes you guys do great job by delivering us a cool product with regular updates and all that cool stuff you do, but all of this pale in comparison to the security of our homes and families, and for us this is number one priority.

Iā€™ve read all the comments before posting this message, and I cannot comprehend why is taking so long to identify the problem, but I might have some theories but none of them are favorable for Wyze.

When you deal with fire and mostly the lifeā€™s of your dear ones, you cannot overlook this matter and make it longer, way longer than it should, it passed over 1 month now (first article I saw if Iā€™m not wrong was in May) and your team should had been already concluded on the matter and provided an official response and a warning to whole customers via the wyze app by now.

Is a shame that this isnā€™t solved so far and we were uninformed about the situation, not all of us check the forum, but Iā€™m sure that if you had made a push notifications to the all customers saying that there is a chance that your wyze can cause a fire hazard over 70% of your customers will trow the cameras at the garbage bin as soon as the message arrive on their phones.

I have 3 wyze v2 cams, and this morning I was very happy to see that Iā€™ve got the person detection update, (I live in Romania, Europe) but then Iā€™ve seen this topic, and Iā€™ve reconsidered my options, after I will end this message I will disconnect and trow away the cameras.

Do not bother for refunds and stuff, I cannot care less for your refunds, or apologies or the lost money, my kids safety, my wife safety my own safety and even my home safety is more important than any technology out there (and Iā€™m working in IT field over 9 years now, and Iā€™m one of the few in my country that have a smart home, and by definition my home is full of interconnected tech and devices, but wyze cameras wonā€™t be a part of it anymore)

We donā€™t need apologies, if you care about your customers as you stated many times before, send a push notification to all wyze cam customers and inform them all about this potentially hazardous situation, and let them decide if will remain a customer or not.

By not informing your customers you are trying to cover this situation from my personal point of view, as not many customers enters and check this forum.

Someone stated that Samsung had a similar issue in past, and yes they did, but you know what else they did? They informed EVERY CUSTOMER about the situation and even recalled lot of products for investigation, and then the customers decided if wanted to return the product and stop using it or continue to use it, but was informed (via media channels, via emails, or other communication methods) so the customers in the end was making an informed decision about the situation, and was his own choice if chose to keep the product even after knowing the potentially hazardous situation or return it and buy something else.

Now, as I stated before, I will disconnect and trow away the cameras because I cannot trust them anymore.

And you guys should send a notification to each and every customer of yours and inform them that IT MIGHT be a hazardous situation and explaining then that you are under investigation of the matter, and bla bla, but let them decide if they want to keep the cameras connected to the power grid or disconnect them.

PS, do not delete my message again, this is the second time Iā€™m posting this message.

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines

1 Like

You say youā€™ve worked in it for 9 years, electronics can fail, Iā€™ve had motherboards melt when an IC has failed, Iā€™ve had psuā€™s go bang and throw glowing hot fragments out
Electronics fail & when they fail they generate heat

If youā€™re so worried get rid of anything electronic

They have had 5 where the SD card has failed in hundreds of thousands which is most likely to be the card not camera anyway

For an investigation like this Iā€™d expect at least 6-12 months as you donā€™t want to make a mistake, wrongly stating either way and you can damage a small company beyond repair

You bring up Samsung, that cost the company tens of millions, that was their product at fault

They have already stated that if youā€™re worried just remove your SD card

From experience Iā€™d say itā€™s the card at fault but wyze have to prove that the returned units didnā€™t have a hardware detects that may have caused the card to fail

On damaged hardware it would be determining what was the cause & what was the effects of the failure

2 Likes

It appears that Iā€™ve got miss understood, Iā€™m not aiming to get them bankrupt or lose customers, Iā€™m angry that they didnā€™t informed the customers.

Even on this very forum, this post was somewhere way down the list and other nonsense topics pinned, why so?

Why at least this topic which is way more important than many others are not pinned to the top?

There was no official announcement about this situation anywere except this very topic.

No official email, no pinned post, no push notification.
Almost like they are trying to cover up this incident, whatā€™s expecting? That someone house will burn to the ground or someone gets mutilated in sleep because the customers had no idea that this product had similar issues in past but nobody announced them?

Yes Samsung lost tens of millions, but also they had a small number of units that burst in fire compared with tens of millions of units they had shipped out there.

They had around few hundreds reports of units causing fire, hundreds compared with tens of millions of units out there.

I doubt wyze have more than 1 million units sold, even so, 5 units are enough to inform your customers about this situation.

Stating that five people had an issue that we donā€™t have an answer too and blasting it out to over 1,000,000 customers is a guaranteed way to lose customers not sure how that helps.

Whatever it seems that my posts are over and over deleted.

I didnā€™t know that you guys are accepting only positive feedback and deleting the ones that are not agreeing with your practice.

If you are accepting posts only from fanboys and positive feedback then Iā€™m out.

My original post was for the third time deleted and flagged as ā€œinappropriateā€ even if I didnā€™t use any curse words or anything violating the community standards.

Your post was flagged by a community member as inappropriate. When that happens, the forum software automatically hides it until it is reviewed by a moderator. I have reviewed your post and restored it. I did make one minor edit to conform to the community guidelines. I have also asked a Wyze employee to step in here and review the last few posts on this thread. That may not happen until Monday though.

1 Like

Why did Gwendolyn say she would let us know the results of the investigation then go silent on the matter? Hey Wyze, listen upā€¦ We are your customers. If it wasnā€™t for us, you wouldnā€™t be in business. We all need to know why your cams have the potential of burning down our homes, pets and loved ones. Please tell us the results of your investigations as promised so that we can decide whether or not to use your products. What Models were affected? Why were there no immediate emails to customers informing them of this potential fire hazzard?

Donā€™t reply with this is a community forum canned response. This is the only way to communicate with Wyze since you have no phone support and tickets never get responded to. Please donā€™t delete this post just because you donā€™t like real customers asking real questions. Where is your CEO? Why is he not the one addressing all our concerns? Doesnā€™t he care about his customers and the reputation of his company?

You can tell them the facts you guys know so far.

For example:

"Hello dear customer, we appreciate you very much and we want to thank you for buying our products and supporting our business.

In the last few months some other customers claimed that their X and Y product had some thermal issues and the microSD cards, respectively the X/Y got melted.

For moment we are under an rigorous internal investigation and so far we find X (or didnā€™t find anything so far)

We want to let you know know that this incident happened in a small number of cases (5) cases over the 1.628.726 units shipped to all customers, nonetheless, we treat this situation very serious and we want to inform you that there MIGHT be a potentially hazardous situation with X or Y product.

Even if there is an extremely low chance that this incident to occur to you, we want to know that you are safe and informed, if you have concerns about this matter, we advise you to remove the microSD from the camera and use it without one until this matter sorts out. (If you are sure that it cannot happen without a SD card inserted)

We will keep you updated and informed either way.

Regards,
bla bla whatever senior marketing person"

Thatā€™s all we needed and thatā€™s all Iā€™m asking, to inform the people, and offer them some explications, and the option to be informed, and then if they choose to keep the microSD inserted in the cameras or to take the microSD out is their own choice.

Yes some of them will take out the SD card and use it without one, others will power off the cameras completely, but at least you prevent a disaster to happen and you inform them.

Then when all this thingā€™s sorts out, then come back with another message explaining what was the cause of the incident, and that they are safe to use it or not or whatever.

2 Likes

How do you know if the investigation is complete?
How do you know thereā€™s something to tell?

I find all this demanding quite funny as is the over dramatised scenarios

Were there any fires - no
Was there discoloration due to heat - yes

3 Likes