SD Card Melting

I agree totally with the previous poster.

His assessment of how Wyze should (and are) behaving is accurate.

The issue is unlikely to be a faulty card and similarly unlikely to be a faulty camera. I suspect it is due to the delivery mechanism being inaccurate in its process and a few cards being inserted at an angle to its receptical. this could cause a cross threading on the path and potentially a current flow in the wrong direction.

I suggest this as an idea and not a solution to the issue at all. it is a guess.

1 Like

I had a thermal issues with one of my Wyze cameras as well. The SD card was not harmed. I checked the inside and the Ingenic T20 chip next to this plastic has a burn mark on it.

Not saying the 2 issues are related, but definitely a short issue in the camera.

1 Like

What is the latest update about this issue with them getting this resolved???I have not had any issues to date but I am alarmed and it seemed a priority with much chatter and then after sense came out it appears UNLESS I have missed some feeds that they are all (Wyze) focused on sense love affair at the moment.

Thank you so much Wyze and @UserCustomerGwen for all of your work on this investigation. For what its worth, Iā€™ve moved over 123 Wyze cameras and there are SanDisk 32GB SDCards in every single one. I have never once had this issue. I can say, as @Bam reported, I have had SDCards (even some namebrand) over heat in my devices in the past (non-Wyze). Iā€™m not involved in the investigation, obviously, but I am willing to bet that your findings will be that the SDCard is at fault and not the camera.
Obviously Wyze cannot make their cameras to account for everyone elseā€™s equipment i.e. SDCards, cables and adapters not made by them, it is encouraging to me that all such events that have happened were contained to the camera alone. Even though this event is very unfortunate, it doesnā€™t change my opinion about Wyze or their cameras. I will continue to purchase and use their cameras. I fully expect the cameras to not be at fault.
I have several cameras in a barn with flammable materials, but as with any electrical device, just in case it were to fail I try to keep it as far away from flammable products as I can. I know not everyone can do this in every case, however I would suggest everyone try to place any laptop, camera, or any electrical device away from highly flammable materials when they are left unattended.

4 Likes

That sounds like a different issue but also DEFINITELY something we want to look into. Weā€™re sorry to hear about this! Could you please fill out this form and include those photos, your shipping address, and your order number with it? We would like to replace your Wyze Cam and take this one to look into what happened here.

Submit a request ā€“ Wyze

Once you send the form in, you should receive a reply email with a support ticket number. Please give that number to me so that I can help out. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Sense people and the people involved with looking into this are different. Weā€™re still in the early stages of looking into this so thatā€™s why youā€™ve been hearing more about Wyze Sense instead of seeing posts here. Iā€™m keeping an eye on things and have been following up with the team. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Youā€™re welcome, cam6. Thank you for your perspective and advice!

1 Like

Following up on the melting SD card issue. I hope to hear something soon. Iā€™m not using the pan cams until I know they are safe. How will we be notified when the research is completed? Thanks.

Weā€™ll be putting updates in here as we have them but Iā€™m not sure how long this process will take. Weā€™re working to be thorough and careful with this.

2 Likes

All,

Iā€™m going through this thread, havenā€™t finished and canā€™t now. However here is some information I want to share. A while ago I stumbled upon this super detailed article about counterfeit SD cards, which can be pretty much undetectable, and sometimes even sold by the actual company who owns the brand (unknowingly of course). It is an interesting read.

Iā€™m absolutely, completely neutral about where the problem discussed here may lie, but I think the subject is relevant to the conversation in that in maybe some of these meltdowns/short circuits/whatever might be caused by the card.

It is a lengthy read but based on actual facts. Very professional article.

Bottom line is, we might buy direct from Kingston Samsung or whoever and still by chance receive counterfeitsā€¦ Their suppliers con them sometimes.

https://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?page_id=1022

PS: I kept reading and found that @Bam published a similar trove of informationā€¦

2 Likes

thanks for some additional reading. knowledge never hurts

Has there been any progress toward a cause with this issue? Any updates?

No updates yet but Iā€™ll check with the team again when back in the office next week. :slight_smile:

Greetings. I appreciate that this issue is being researched, but Iā€™m not pleased with how long itā€™s taking. If I canā€™t get some assurance soon that the 3 pan cams are safe to use, I would like to return them. I bought them for a much needed security issue that I havenā€™t been able to address for several weeks.

Can you provide return instructions, or should I work through Amazon.

Thanks.

1 Like

I have bought several cameras since the issue all with SD cards and I didnā€™t think twice about it. If this was any sort of major issue it would be much much much more wide spread and reported. FWIW.

1 Like

Yikes,

I have had no issues with any SD cards so far, so Iā€™m not sure if the cause is the SD card or a defective Wyze Cam. Wyze is an awesome company and they will surely find the cause and a fix.

Kenner

1 Like

We donā€™t want to rush something like this and risk missing anything important. I understand your position and apologize for the delay. Given that I donā€™t know when this will be concluded, you may want to contact Amazon for a return (since you purchased through them, we do not have money to refund you). We are sorry for the frustration and hope that you find a good alternative for your security needs.

Thanks. Iā€™ll give it a few more days before contacting Amazon. Basically, I would like to confirm that they are safe without the SD cards (which I think is the case). There are numerous examples where other devices such as Nintendo games and laptops suffer from melted SD cards. Itā€™s not uncommon.

1 Like

I can tell you anecdotally that I have been working for Wyze since Wyze launched and that Iā€™ve never run into a case of this without a microSD card involved. But I wonā€™t give a 100% solid answer until weā€™re done looking into this and have found the cause.

1 Like

Mer.54,

They may be defective SD cards or a defective Wyze Cam. Either one of the two. Give them a couple days. :slight_smile:

Kenner