SD Card Melting

Talk to the folks at Boeing.

Just FYI, two layers of drywall are used as fire retardant between apartments. The core canā€™t burn and the facing papers have retardant in them and the compound canā€™t burn either. The paint on the wall is most flammable. All that said, this melting thing is very worrisome. I will also mention that now there are so many of these out in the wild, so to speak, that maybe a warning notice that they are NOT intrinsically safe (in the fire code sense) is needed.

Omg. And im using one for babysitting. :scream:

1 Like

We apologize, everyone. And we understand the concern. Weā€™re starting to receive the affected units and our investigation is underway. Weā€™ll sort this out as soon as we can.

The units are made of flame retardant materials so there should be no risk of an external fire. Though this is still a major issue and we are looking into it as our top priority.

7 Likes

I own 4 Wyze cams all equipped with SD Cards and have never had that happen.

3 Likes

One thing to remember is that the power to the camera is low voltage DC, not enough to start a fire. I would guess that since Wyze doesnā€™t make the micro SD card and just branded it with their name, there is an issue with the card itself. Although Iā€™ve never ever heard of a micro SD card heating up so much that it melted.

1 Like

Thatā€™s just patently untrue. While low voltage (ie 5v USB and similar) are less likely to start a fire, they are still capable of doing soā€¦ especially if near or touching flammable materials for extended periods of time.

There are both electrical engineering reasons and real life examples of how devices can initiate and have initiated fires (well after being converted from AC).

Iā€™m highly confident the Wyze engineering team will have a solution soon and take the necessary steps. If youā€™re extra concerned - simply donā€™t use the SD card function until they can clarify the root cause - as that seems to be the culprit.

Not trying to downplay anyoneā€™s experiences here, but Iā€™ve had the same issue happen to me in the card reader port of a laptop, NOT in a Wyze Cam. The card got very hot to the touch, it started melting.

Luckily, the microSD memory card was in an adaptor so I quickly popped it out before the card could catch on fire. Waited for the port to cool down then tried the same card slot with another brand of memory card and everything was fine. Been using the same slot since then with other cards without problem.

I think there may be something about particular memory cards and certain microSD card slots that make these cards heat up and melt or catch on fire. It would be a good idea to also focus your investigations on both camera and microSD card brands so that these incidents do not happen anymore.

TLDR: Not trying to pass on blame or defend any brand. Just sharing my experience with the same occurrence in another deviceā€¦

5 Likes

I only buy high-quality, name brand cards (usually SanDisk) from local retailers (Fred Meyer in this case) to avoid the issue on Amazon of knockoffs I bought this card for my DJI drone and was just going to test it in my camera before ordering a slower card. Professionally, Iā€™ve sourced hundreds of thousands of SD cards direct from manufacturers and my professional opinion is that SanDisk is not only a reputable manufacturer but that they also base level QA 100% of all cards they sell - which is one of the reasons I buy that brand. This card, however, was brand new so I canā€™t say I validated it on any other components prior.

Hereā€™s the card I believe to be in the camera. I couldnā€™t extract it since it was melted to the casing. SanDisk Extreme 32GB microSDHC UHS-3 Card - SDSQXAF-032G-GN6MA Amazon.com

Note, I received my replacement camera today and they generously gave me 2 generic 32GB Wyze-branded cards - though there is no published spec on them. Can someone from Wyze support confirm what the specs are so I can know if it will be fast enough for my original intended use (in my drone)?

Iā€™m going to let the camera run without an SD card for a few days before trying it with one of their cards.

Cheers -

Has this problem occurred in the Wyze Cam Pan too or just the Wyze Cam?

Last night I popped an SD card into my Wyze Cam v2 and after a few minutes something smelled like burning electronics. I picked up the camera to smell it and could definitely tell thatā€™s where it was coming from. I ejected the SD card and it was so hot that I burned my fingers while pulling it out then dropped it on the floor!

When it finally cooled down, I looked more closely at the SD card and saw that it had a small crack in the plastic as though it had been bent. That damage must have allowed some kind of short-circuit while in the camera. Iā€™m just glad I was sitting next to it and noticed it at the time!

To be clear, I donā€™t think the camera was at fault here, but it was still unsettling to think what might have happened if I didnā€™t eject the card.

I bought a v2 and Pan cams back in February from Amazon and I just inserted an SD card last night in each one to test. So far no issues with any of them.

I love Amazon, but so many fake products are being sold as authentic and if you donā€™t do due diligence to read the reviews you will get tricked because most of the reviewers ratings are for another product and not the one you are looking at.

1 Like

Glad you caught that so quickly, @aesterling. Are you interested in sending this camera and microSD card to us for the investigation? Sounds like this was likely a hardware issue with the card but weā€™d still like to check it out and send you a replacement. If youā€™re up for that, please fill out this form and let me know what support ticket number you receive in a reply email. Submit a request ā€“ Wyze :slight_smile:

@h20mobius, hereā€™s an image with the tech specs for the microSD card! Itā€™s possible that youā€™ll still want a different one for your drone.

@mer.54, we have seen reports here for both Wyze Cam and Wyze Cam Pan.

Thanks. Does removing the SD card eliminate the problem while Wyze researches the specifics? I have 3 Cam Pan cameras. Not crazy about using these while Iā€™m away until the cause is pinned down and addressed.

At this point we have had no similar reports without a microSD card installed in the camera. That will probably take care of the risk (though the investigation has recently started so information may change).

1 Like

Using the work ā€œYikesā€ is very unprofessional, I know everyone in tech is trying to look ā€œcoolā€ these days but I find it offensive particularly being in customer service myself.

1 Like

I apologize. Thank you for providing this feedback and I will keep it in mind for the future.

I have removed that exclamation from my previous response.

Are people using the wrong plugs? Maybe Wyze has a bad batch? I will guess if you use a more powerful plug then it goes, poof! I bought one and now im scared to use it. :frowning:

I have plugged mine in and so far itā€™s ok. I just hope when I really set it up it will be ok. :frowning: