SD Card Melting

Comparing the melted area
melted

to a gutted
gutted

it seems well above the SD card.

3 Likes

Thanks for this. It does seem to be above the SD card. I opened it up and there seems to be a ribbon that runs along the side right by where it melted. Do you know what that ribbon is?

Support ticket #290050

2 Likes

Thank you very much! I apologize for not making it back here before support was closed for the day but Iā€™ll get things started for you.

2 Likes

I just checked on your ticket and it looks like youā€™re already taken care of! Thank you for letting us know about this problem, @benny.

3 Likes

I know it has been a month since someone responded but I thought I should share my experience. I have 9 Wyze cams (V2) spread over 3 different properties (small business, and my, and my parentsā€™ home). All of them use SanDisk 32GB cards. The oldest cam is over a year old. Never had a problem with overheating until now, in 1 cam. (I live in northern California so the temp never got extreme. And I do have 5 other outdoor cams that are working just fine.).

Two weeks ago, a cop knocked on my door and said that there was a shooting nearby and asked if our cam caught anything. I went over the footage around the time but couldnā€™t find anything but I donated the sd card to the cop anyway. I mentioned this to point out that the cam has been working for a year without problems.

Anyway I put in a spare sd card and forgot about it. This morning, I needed to look at something but I keep getting an error message saying there is no card. I went home later and looked at it. The opening of the sd card slot is melted wider than normal. The card is burned and felt hot on contact. The locking mechanism that supposes to hold a card no longer work. My computer does not recognize that card at all.

So I decided to switch position of 2 cams. I have an indoor cam for my cats that doesnā€™t need a card. Out of curiosity, I put the burnt card into my Cat cam. The app doesnā€™t recognize it so I took it out. It was only a minute but the card was really hot. To top it off, the card locking mechanism stopped working. I had to do something so I put everything aside for an hour.

When I came back, the locking mechanism in the Cat cam works again. I guess the card didnā€™t have time to do irreparable damage. So the Cat cam is now outside and the Burnt cam still work but it no longer can hold any card.

My GUESS is that the cams were trying too hard to read a defective card that it overheated and melted the surrounding plastic as well as the locking mechanism. If this is a problem, may be you could program the cam to stop trying after a few failed attempts to prevent overheating?

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that this happened! Could you please fill out this form with this information and give me the support ticket number it gives you in a reply email? We would like to send you a replacement and take this one back to check on what happened to it.

Support Request Form

1 Like

Check your card for hairline cracks which is the most common cause

Some reason SanDisk seem to be more prone to failing & overheating

1 Like

The card in question is an old card. I threw it in because it was the only card I had on hand at that moment. I didnā€™t really analyzed it for defects when I put it into the Wyze. Now, itā€™s burnt so I donā€™t know what caused what.

WyzeGwendolyn, I appreciate the offer. But as I said, I had this particular cam for over a year without problems. It only overheated after I put an old card in. Then the problem manifested in another cam when I use the same defected card. So I think the common denominator is the card, not the cams. If you still want to look at it, then Iā€™ll send it in. But I think itā€™s more likely the defected card, which makes it either SanDisk or my fault.

Both cameras still work. As far as I can tell, all functions that do not require a card is working just fine. But the ā€œburntā€ one can no longer keep a card locked in. I feel that if once I stop being lazy and open it up, I may be able to ā€œlockā€ a card in manually. Not that important since I only need the motion detector function.
Iā€™ve attach a photo of the burnt cam+card as well as a normal cam+card. You can see the burnt card and melted slot.

Itā€™s possible to see a crack through the D of disk & a of ultra & the hot spot is at the end of the crack

Itā€™s possible that it was caused by the thermal event but more likely the other way around on this occasion

4 Likes

You have obviously done your homework and looked at all possible issues that may have led to this event. I commend you on that sir. Too many times people are quick to jump to one conclusion and miss obvious signs of another. Good form sir, good form

2 Likes

I think it might be very useful info for Wyze to be able to examine that card knowing that the same card caused issues in multiple cameras. It might help with the investigation of the other cases.

1 Like

Got to watch out for fake microsd cards. There appears to be a lot of fake sandisk cards. (Maybe i just got bad luck) Unfortunately even amazon has this problem. Think itā€™s mostly with third party sellers. Iā€™ve nearly been fooled a few times, if it hadnā€™t been for testing the cards capacity. They are hard to spot even with them in your hand. The printing and packaging looks identical. Putting it into a device it shows the correct capacity and it works. Not until testing with a tool that will do a full capacity write and read back to verify full capacity is usable. Do you then discover it truncates the files and wraps around overwriting the prior files. Going to be impossible to tell after the fact if any of these failed cards were fakes or not.

2 Likes

Morning,

Iā€™m subscribed to the thread but rarely reading the posts. However, for some reason, I decided to read today. Well, I know I have posted this in the past, so do not flame me (pun intended) ok? Thx.

Iā€™m willing to put money on the fact that the bad card is counterfeit. See the article(s) I pointed to before. I mean, even reputable resellers fall for them. I mean, even the own manufacturer accidentally has sold counterfeit cards (the actual factory gave them a cheaper/counterfeit product). This is not conspiracy theory, it is clearly documented multiple times.

Now, looking at the two cards there are pointed differences even though they should be the same card. Also look at the official product page. It is great that they are both (apparently) the same product. This way we can compare apples to apples:

this is the official product page

EDIT: Once on that page, click on the 32 GB button

Small differences I noticed at once:

• on the bad card, the absence of this A1 logo thing, which I have no idea what stands for,
  • the Ultra font is larger on the bad card,
  • the bad card doesnā€™t have the U1 logo (and that is a major deal)
  • the HC I logo thing is larger on the bad card.
  • the font for the ā€œ32ā€ is different - i think. Taller/more compressed on the good one, bolder on the bad one
  • the whole in the ā€œaā€ in ultra is a bit wide on the bad one, but it could be attributed to the crack, or even the lens being too close. whatever.
  • the whole MicroSD HCI U1 layout is totally different,
  • The SanDisk logo is larger and closer to the upper part of the card on the bad one.

Iā€™m sure there will be some additional differences plus maybe more on the back side, these were the ones I could quickly spot. The picture resolution is great but focus a bit blurrry so more details can be lost.

OP: If by any chance this picture happened to be taken with any Pixel phone, the best practice for close pictures is to move back and use the zoom. There is some algorithm ā€œmagicā€ that makes them sharper.

Is there a white line separating the red from the gray on the good card or just a reflection?

Now if you compare the good card to the product image on Sandiskā€™s site, they are identical (except that possibly optical illusion white line, maybe the angle of the picture)

Please pardon my syntax and even case usage, Iā€™m kind of busy and really need to get back to work, but felt important to contribute.

Definitely, both cards should go to Wyze, absolutely.

EDIT2: Added bold and fixed one bullet point. No more edits!

2 Likes

Good to know its not just me thats has noticed the proliferation of counterfeit sandisk SD cards.

I wouldnā€™t as I have had proved genuine cards do the same as well as have other issues, like batches being too thin and having read write errors, cards switching to read only
All of which have been SanDisk, only company that I know that have had recalls on micro SD cards

1 Like

Hmmā€¦ This is something that I will have to keep track of. A little scary since I only turn the cameras on when I am not at home. Though, I have had my cameras for a few weeks now and not have had any problems. I am using the Samsung SD cards that were recommended in another topic.

I donā€™t think the card is fake. Most likely, It was damaged (someone pointed out the crack, which I thought it was just bent). This card could be 2+ years older than the other card so the graphics have change. And the labeling are actually referring to the rating of the card.

I can send the card in if you want. I think itā€™s somewhere on my desk.

Itā€™s very likely that youā€™re correct about the cause. But weā€™d still like to take these back to look into it. Thanks, @elsonlam1! :slight_smile:

Support Request Form

3 Likes

I canā€™t find the damaged/defected card. I probably threw it out yesterday. I donā€™t really need a card in this particular cam so donā€™t worry about it.

Anyway, to recap, the 1st cam was working fine for a year with another card. The 2nd cam is a month old but was working with another card as well. The damaged/defected card was in the 1st camera for 2 weeks. The plastic surrounding the card slot and the locking mechanism that supposes to hold the card became disfigured but thatā€™s about it. The damaged card was in the 2nd cam for a minute and it got hot quick but not quick enough to melt anything. Both cams are currently working just fine.

In my case, I donā€™t think Wyze is the problem. I have 9 Wyze V2 cams with 9 SanDisk cards (most were bought at different times) that are 1-13 months old. All have been working fine. This problem only came up when I insert a old SanDisk card that has been laying in my drawer for god knows how long. Itā€™s also possible that I damaged the card when I push it in too hard (the cam was mounted high and I had to reach up to insert the card). A lot of people complained about investigation being slow. If you want to recreate my problem, get a card, bend it, and insert it into a cam. Wait a few minutes, take it out, and see if it get extremely hot or not.