SD Card Melting

A quick Google search would dispel that notion. Here are a handful of links with people reporting melted SD cards in lots of devices by reputable manufacturers like Canon and Nintendo, and reputable card manufacturers like Sandisk. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I also tried and failed to find an instance of an SD card failure ever causing a fire, in any device, by any manufacturer. If it has ever happened, I can’t find any reports of it. Feel free to correct me if you find something.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Filmmakers/comments/5vioty/camera_melted_sd_card_any_idea_how_this_happened/
https://www.reddit.com/r/3DS/comments/76evmm/sandisk_sd_card_has_melted_my_3ds/

1 Like

To ALL posting in this thread. Some of the comments are starting to skate on the edge of civility. Please review the Community Guidelines, and please PM me if you have any questions about them. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Heck, a slow search on this thread shows the problem of SD card overheating is widespread.
Look at Bam’s post of April 28th.
But then we’ve already determined many people don’t read.

You mean, like this one? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow … ok. Hmm … has any one actually researched this yet? I WORK ON electronics all the time and I can tell you this happens alot more than you think and in alot more environments and media than you know…
Hdmi,vga,sd,headphone jacks,speakerterminals,

OK ANY THING THAT HAS A NON PERMANENT CONTACT AREA AND TRANSFERS ANY SORT OR ELECTRICITY HAS THE POTENTIAL TO DO WHAT WE ARE SEEING HERE.

Case in point. Ever wondered why they come out with so many different types of USB connectors and memory card forms and shapes… ding ding ding. They need 1. A better way to conduct the heat as times change and speeds get faster. 2. More contact points with less energy running threw them to cause less heat. …

Yea yea. Theres other stuff to but I’m not typing it all out.
I was going to post what I’ve figured out earlier but I’ve been swamped. And yes I have the same issue. I JUST GOT LUCKY that my camera happened to be out side in 0 degree weather. And colder… it dissipated the heat faster…

Output Vout = 5 Volts
Vfred = 2.1 Volt

Over 1 watt is being dissipated with in the case.

My math be off a bit but its dang close.

I’ve started fires with far less energy…

I did find an issue on one of the boards and when I post I’ll point it out. No way of testing it properly … but I promise I’ll be posting today.

A post was merged into an existing topic: USB plug breaking

We’re sorry to hear that this happened to you! Thank you for telling us, DigitalFubar. We are interested in your next post but please also reach out to our support team. We would like to take your hardware back so we can look into this as well and send you a replacement.

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

2 Likes

Update: links in post are not working ,Im trying to figure out why…there seems to be an issue with google photo. so in the mean time here is a shared album.

ok as promised here is my follow up post …in this first picture there is a contact that is clearly fused with the one next to it.

in this picture the mic is clearly off center and I must say it is so far recessed from the hole they provide for it , it makes sense as to why some people have horrible audio,

In this next picture the housing and the cover for the irleds is tinted.

So as Ive said this camera got hot! to the point of not working and i believe that there is a QC issue with what ever plant makes them. In this next picture, you will see partly why.

I found the wifi was getting hot where the chip and antenna wire e met the board.

Ive not had a chance to contact customer support yet…but im broke I bought these since they are cheap…but even at that time I couldn’t afford them… but needed them having an autistic child…

I will clean this post up as soon as possible. as well as update it as I find things…
Ive missed placed some pictures

ok so… yes I do believe giving the rite circumstance s yes I do think this little unit is more than capable of setting its self on fire,

As a heads up, I got 404 errors from all of your photo links.

If you contact the support team, we’ll be sending a prepaid shipping label for your current camera so we can follow up on this and we’ll send a replacement free of charge.

2 Likes

Photos are all: 404. That’s an error.

The requested URL was not found on this server. That’s all we know.

@DigitalFubar I can confirm that none of the links in your post are working. The links take me to a Google sign in page.

shared album

Thanks! That worked better. :slight_smile:

Definitely a thing to send to the team. Though I’m not sure if the dissembling is going to impact anything with us trying to look into this. We’ll send you a replacement and request this one back regardless.

Wyze Customer Support

1 Like

I’m not rich and do not have the money to send this back. I hold a couple of degrees that say I am more than qualified to attempt a repair on the unit.
Also, I pulled it apart because there was a wisp of visible smoke emitting from the unit.

Like I said, we would send you a prepaid return label for this and you would not have to pay to send it back. :slight_smile:

We take these seriously and would like to look into this.

2 Likes

Yea well where I live my internet is so spotty and having an autistic child I decided I need the thing working asap.
I am glad tho it was not her that had grabbed the plug tho.

If you would like to forward this to them and see if they want to reach out feel free but right now my internet is cutting in and outdo to winter storms I’m not even going to attempt to do this all over in a separate posting.

Ok so I added a few mor pics so every one else can see them…

The pictures with the wires in it are my doing and Ive fully correted the issue except for in one area.

here is what I did.

1. I enlarged the wifi antenna ( I used one out of an old laptop I had laying around… Now I can get Reception a good distance away form the router)

2. the square lens was allsorts of dirty and had a fingure print on the inside (I just cleaned it and that required the unit to be disassembled also to do so)

3. The Microphone in the unit was off center and if you look to the left you will see another hot spot…
    ( I Replaced the mic with a larger one and prperly seating it in the provided pre cut mic hole.
    Now I can he people about 5 houses down while there inside!!)

20191010_172022 (1) 20191010_172022 (1) 20191010_191236

1 Like

The process that involves making return labels and shipping replacements has to go through the support team and they aren’t on the forum. Please reach out to them when you have a moment but I won’t push further. I will say that we wouldn’t recommend continuing to use this unit after it had a heat event even if you do repairs though the device is made of flame retardant materials and we do not expect a fire. We would rather replace it for you.

Wyze Customer Support

5 Likes

that is one of the most in-depth and clear teardowns I have ever seen. Thank you so much for posting this. Seeing these will no doubt help the team if you are unable to send the unit back. Good form

Id have no issue sending the unit in but Id have to have one in advance sent to me…
It is winter here and autistic children love to wonder and more are found deceased because of wandering… and with winter hear I need to be quick because even with all the safeguard you put into place there never good enough and these cameras allow me to do just that… if she wanders I get a notification… even time-delayed it’s better than nothing I have a general Idea on her heading…

Um, I am concerned tho on the plug. Do I voice my concerns here. does someone reach out??

I shocked the crap out of my self because of this defective plug… I would have assumed and forgive me if I am wrong that regardless someone would have reached out because of it…whether or not I contact support or not would be my thinking.

The way I read it and @UserCustomerGwen could correct me if I am wrong but they would send you a new cam and enclosed would be a prepaid label to send the old one back. I would definitely try to send it back so they can look at it.

1 Like