SD card Loop recording

So I just got my camera, and I’m having trouble finding if storage on the sd card is loop recorded like a dashcam, or if it fills and then has to be formatted. I’m hoping it’s loop and I can just get a high endurance card, but I did see somewhere someone had trouble with the card corrupting when it was full.

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019931651-MicroSD-Card-Continuous-Recording-Playback-Timelapse

When continuous recording is selected, your camera continuously records video to the microSD card. If you have Motion Tagging turned on, motion detected will be framed by a green box in the video footage. When the microSD card is full, the oldest footage will be overwritten. A 32GB microSD card will hold approximately two days of HD video and seven days of SD video.

2 Likes

thank you so much. I didn’t expect to get answers that fast.

1 Like

Hmm, why do I think you should power the camera down before popping out the memory card? Not just, stop recording.

Speaking of a side note: You shouldn’t have to pop the card out to get your files off it. This might have something to do with all the cards that are going bad.

yup, always stop the camera so you don’t mess-up the read write process. that might actually be why all those cards are corruption, you have a point. I have ready about people using high endurance class 10 fat32 cards but double the recommended storage. I would love to put a 64gb card in and even if it eats it, memory is super cheap. has anyone tried using a bigger card than recommended?

I can tell you that I had corrupted cards that were never removed from the camera. So I don’t think that’s it. I suspect it has something to do with the moment the card becomes full and the firmware tries to delete only video segments, but that’s just a guess. Still waiting for Wyze’s analysis of the bricked cards that they have recovered.

2 Likes

what type of card are you using? I just ordered a trancent high endurance card. i use one of those in my dashcam. i know sandisk dont work well and are prone to corruption on things that loop record and have big rewrites…

so there is an option in the app I found to turn the camera off. by doing that you can remove the card without fear of read write corruption.

1 Like

I would still power it off in addition to turning it off in the app first. We don’t have an official procedure from Wyze yet on card removal, but keep in mind that same off switch is an on switch controlled by firmware. That means the firmware is still running or else the “on” command wouldn’t work. Even when installing an SD card, Wyze recommends you unplug the camera first.

1 Like