Say hello to Wyze Sprinkler Controller - 11/17/20

This is a super cool product! I wish I could use it but I have 15 sprinkler zones. I hope that Wyze can make a sprinkler controller with more zones in the future. Thanks!

Would love to buy.
But if it’s mounted inside, how does my irrigation guy access it? Most of us in the northern states have to hire someone to winterize in the fall and test/start up in the spring.

So what do you do if you have 17 zones

Most systems valve box that they manually cycle since it is right where you pressurize and winterize the system. Also, it looks like this unit has a manual on and off by selecting the zone number not unlike your existing manual controller.

An important question is will it work if the internet is down by retaining the programming in the controller? Also, does it have a battery backup for retaining the programming in case electric is out? Or is this strictly a cloud based controller?

I have 17 zones so looks like it wont work for me

1 Like

The good: 8 zones, programmable, Wyze eco system, weather connection.

The opportunities: Subscription is a big fail for me. I have all the same features, plus a physical rain sensor, seasonal auto adjust, etc. on my Rainbird WiFi connected controller… NO subscription.

So many business models are now going to subscriptions - software, cars(!), cameras, irrigation controllers…? That’s like buying a band-aid which contains an anti-clotting agent… so although you do eventually bleed to death… it won’t hurt as much.

No thank you.

1 Like

I hope they make one with more zones too! I have 15 zones so this doesn’t work for me :frowning_face:

I just found out that this sprinkler controller is also not weatherproof. So I can’t use it for 2 reasons. 1) I have 15 zones. 2) My controller is outdoors. Wyze please make another version down the road with support for more zones and make it weatherproof.

Most of the competitors have only 6, 8, and 12 zone WiFi controller options. So you will still need more than one controller for anything over 12.

I have a competitor controller working a system with 220v pump with 16v pump start relay and 5 zone indexing valve. Theoretically with that system I could control at a minimum 8 zones by 5 indexer so 40 zones. It works!

Most recently built homes here in the Valley of the Sun have controllers installed outside with all the other access points (Cable, Elec, Tel, Gas,) Not a simple move to relocated wires and power inside. Too bad. Looks pretty good!

I was super excited to receive the email about this until I saw the most useful feature is locked behind a pay wall, and it’s not weatherproof. :pensive:. I guess I’ll have to splurge on the B-Hyve controller for twice the price.

I am with a lot of you… I saw the email and I came home from work tonight and opened my sprinkler controller box to see we have 9 zones… :sob::sob::sob::sob:. I would love to get a controller like this but I have 1 zone too many… :sob::sob::sob::sob:.

In my case they need access to my controller (garage) and be able to have the main irrigation water line be on/off (which I do inside). I have them start up my system every year where they check the hardware as well as make sure the controller is programmed correctly.

Will this fit in a rain bird controller case?

FAQs say that it has 14 days smart programming in memory, so that if it loses internet connection it follows that program, then after 14 days it reverts to the last programmed ‘standard programming’ - so it looks as though it will be capable of dealing with internet outages quite well.

Seriously Wyze, stop making new products. You can’t even properly support what you already have! Hire better programmers to fix the current issues and hire and better customer service reps. But enough with releasing new products every month!!!

Nope. A PVC Junction Box is your best bet to keep it installed outside.

I’m also limited to mounting in a box. My remaining question is the physical size of the 24v transformer. Is it also needing to be installed inside the weatherproof box?

you can either share access via the app or have them use the hardware buttons to turn on/off zones during the blow out.

haha, u say this after EVERY announcement…the argument is old, Wyze will do what they want to do, and I personally hope they continue to launch more and more products…Never stop Wyze! :wink:

4 Likes