Rtsp on Wyse Camera v3

There has to be a reason why Wyze wants these cameras to connect to their servers. I mean, they know the reason users install RTSP is so that disconnect them from the internet to make them more secure.

If they are intended to keep an internet connection even with RTPS, it worries me the fact Wyze still wants to keep a connection to them.

Possibly, in the same way that Wink did it, they will someday REQUIRE us to pay them a fee, or they will disconnect everything we have…

Well… I am already about to buy Reolink cameras…the E1 Pros which are also RTSP and they are 4MP for just a few dollars more. Wyze cameras are $35 and Reo are about $41… so they not only look better, but they are also 2.4ghz/5ghz and ethernet.

I was planning on buying more Wyze cameras now that they support RTSP, but if I won’t be able to have them fully disconnected from the internet, then I don’t want them… It was good to know ya Wyze!

Interesting. They are only sale on Reolink’s own website for a few more hours for $39.99 with free shipping. It appears they also support ONVIF, not just RTSP.

Of course, unlike the v3, these aren’t outdoor rated, but these are a pan/tilt camera, so more competitive with the Wyze Pan (which is currently $39.99 plus shipping on Wyze’s website.

I had Wyze v2 outdoors for a very long time which were not meant to be outdoors…as long as you keep them away from direct sunlight and rain, they should be fine…Im in Florida too so I don’t have to worry about freeze damage either.

I have my Wyze under the soffit protected from rain and sun. I’m sure the Reolinks will do just fine outdoors in my case.

But anyway… I kept doing some testing just to make sure… I enabled internet to all my RTSP Wyze cams except 1… Guess which one is the only camera that keeps disconnecting and connecting every few minutes?

I have a v2 outdoors as well, magnetically attached under my window heat pump. But that isn’t the pan model. Moving parts and freezing weather tend not to go well together, as the last two vehicles I have had with powered mirrors can attest to.

Well… mine have gone trough pretty low temps…in the 20s I believe… I know it’s now much compared to other states…but the Wyze cams survived and other than this issue with reconnects as a result of them no wanting to be without internet connection… they have been working great outdoors.

Honestly, if it wasn’t because of the issue they requiring internet connection on RTSP… I was going to buy more V3 to replace the remaining V2s I have.

I use Blue Iris, so I want/need them to be completely off the internet and sadly this does not work well with Wyze… so I will be replacing all my Wyze cams with Reolink E1 Pro.

My non-pan v2 survived low single digit temperatures this February (during which we also had more snow in a few days than we normally have for several winters). Back on the moving parts, however, that window heat pump unit I mentioned had developed a problem with its fan bearing when I fired it up again when the temps got back up into the upper 30’s.

As you seem to be jumping into the deep end (replacing all your cameras), I wish you luck and hope my pessimism is unwarranted.

I am trying out one last thing here. I thought of this… since Wyze requires internet on their cameras… I will give them internet…but am making them almost unreliable haha… I gave them bandwidth of 0.1 Mbps which makes them almost unusable to view as they hardly connect at that speed…but they still work great in Blue Iris at fulls speeds.

I will keep an eye on them and see if I still have that issue…I think it should be ok because they ARE connected to the internet, so they will link, but other than that, they are pretty much useless haha.
No one from Wyze will be able to view them at those speeds.

I have been testing it and so far I haven’t seen any of them disconnect and reconnect…but they work flawlessly with Blue Iris lol.

So when trying to watch them using the Wyze app…it’s impossible… they just spin and spin haha.

2 Likes

I think Wyze only uses the connection for authentication (low bandwidth, but something you don’t care about) and viewing thru the Wyze app and for event clips (high bandwidth, if you do it).

What ezviz camera suppports rtsp or onvif?

I think many of them do, but not sure. Undocumented, but bingable. :wink:

I have Ezviz C1C

i.p.addr.ess/h264_stream
User:admin
Password:code on camera

thanks!

Bought BESDER 1080p from Xiongmai (XMEye) for $ 27 with PTZ on Ali. Works without internet via onvif (3 video streams via rtsp 720p and 1080p). There is a flashlight. Satisfied.

I actually just came here to post some testing results to rule out whether or not I have a bad camera or if Wyze just doesn’t play well with UniFi APs (it does). My testing concludes that the Wyze RTSP firmware is crashing or there is some kind of buggy reconnect request that stalls the camera if there is no internet connectivity (which is the whole point of using RTSP for me).

Wyze Cam V3 RTSP on:
UniFi AP w/Internet (0% packet loss)
UniFi AP without Internet (1.7 % loss)
AirPort Extreme AC w/Internet (0% packet loss)
AirPort Extreme AC without Internet (3.3% loss)

What’s interesting is the rhythm at which it times out when there is no active Internet connection for the camera. It does appear to be running a process that either crashes a service or stalls the camera long enough for a timeout/resume on the RTSP connection.

This stream disconnect occurs approximately every 1-2 two minutes for me, but only when the Internet connection is blocked.

I’m not optimistic about this bug being fixed, but if others haven’t reported any info like this, I’m hoping this find will be helpful.

Are you saying that if I block the camera’s access to theWyze servers, that it would not work on the local network with rtsp…which is the whole point of rtsp?

I don’t think it’s a bug…I think it’s intended to work this way to annoy you and force you enable internet because they want the device to have internet access and connect to their servers.

I think it is because they still require normal Wyze app functions, and Wyze has a verification security protocol in place that requires periodic security check-ins that require connections with their servers. If it was PURE RTSP, then it wouldn’t be required. No security required there.

But do the conspiracy thing, seems to work nowadays!

Wyze app functions like motion detection and alerts don’t work on RTSP anyway, so there’s no reason to have internet access on the camera?

And it’s not a conspiracy… this company is even though the owner is American, this company is very tied to China and it has been proven time and time again that these cameras connect to servers located in China…why that is… I have no idea.