RTSP Heat Issues

More of a question than anything else. I was prepping 5 Wyze cams for RTSP and found a potential thermal issue which I wanted to throw out there and see if anyone else has experience here. Since in RTSP the cameras are transmitting constantly (as opposed to native mode when I assume they only transmit when there’s motion or a capture command from sense) the radios are running full out all the time. What I found was after a few hours the cameras were getting into the scary warm almost hot :hot_face: range so I unplugged. That makes sense and aside from the heat / safety issue certainly isn’t what these were designed for (duty cycle). Has anyone seen the impact of continuous “on” as a byproduct of utilizing RTSP streaming?
Thanks.

1 Like

I have not flashed any of mine for RTSP, but many of us here are live streaming for many hours on end without issue. I have never noticed a camera getting hot, but I can’t say I touch them very often!
One data point I can give. Last summer I had one camera in my attic that essentially generated zero alerts, but I looked at live video for a few seconds once or twice a day (it was watching a rat trap). Because it was in an unlit area, the IR illuminators were on all the time. I also have a temperature monitor in the attic. Last July we had some extremely hot weather and the camera survived being in the attic at measured temps up to 150 degrees F. The camera finally stopped working at 151 degrees. I don’t know if it was the camera or the power supply, but after they had been pulled out of the attic and cooled for only a few minutes,l both the camera and power supply started working fine.

Thanks. They seemed like they were starting to get WAY warmer with RTSP than prior to the flash. I’ve got some stuff that I can use to monitor the temps over time and I’ll rig something up over the weekend.
FWIW - I’m in Florida and I have a 12VDC5AH ps in the attic powering some ip cams and they’ve been 100% reliable for over 2 years now so I’m guessing it’s the cam. 105 seems like a reasonable temp for the camera to give up and nap for a while.
Thanks for the info.