RTSP for V3

Sweet, got it!

I hope an update comes soon.

I would be thrill for the RTSP to added… I have ASUSTOR NAS Surveillance and can read IP and port!!

I bought 2 Eufy 2K cams: the pan and tilt; and the floodlight. They did exactly what I wanted them to do from a usage point of view. Problem is, the pan and tilt doesn’t recognize motion once it’s dark and the floodlight doesn’t recognize motion at all! Did I get some duds? Bought them during Amazon prime days and the return window is closing.

I have little faith in Eufy and thought I’d found what I needed with Wyze, but from what I’m reading I can’t save recorded video without physically taking the card out? That won’t work for me. And if the motion detection isn’t very good with Wyze so people are doing continuous recording, but there is no way to fast forward, that won’t work either :frowning:

Thanks for this mini-review. I too tried Eufy and couldn’t get either of the 2 I bought to detect motion satisfactorily. Too bad. I liked everything else about them.

A friend has an EZVIZ and seems happy with it. One of the things holding me back is finding info on its capabilities if you don’t have the subscription. Nor can I find details on subscription pricing. I don’t mind paying a small amount if it gives me what I need, but I can’t find any info. There are EZVIZ models that do have the starlight sensor I believe.

I was also looking at Hosafe which has continuous recording, marks events, no subscription, can save recordings to your own device/cloud etc, but the camera is HUGE.

There is always a compromise!

I am slowly switching over to Reolink (410 and 510 make sure to check for the ones with RTSP they all don’t have it- sigh). After the Wyze V3 wait for RTSP – why on earth wasn’t it present after the overwhelming request for RTSP with the V2?. Wyze cameras are nice but the lack of RTSP is problematic. I have a NAS and I can record directly to it so if the sd card goes “missing” I still have the video. I also don’t have to subscribe to anything. :+1: I still have a V2- backyard and a Pan and tilt – inside.

1 Like

Wow, just saw the RTSP announcement on the Wyze site.

@UserCustomerGwen and members of the Wyze team, just wanted to say I’m disappointed by the decision to slow/stop work on this.

First off the RTSP firmware actually works quite well for me and the V3 is a major improvement in low light situations.

However as you can see from the responses in the beta test thread it’s clear that no one believes the cameras need to phone home when in this mode. Resource shortage or not, I can’t believe this would be at all hard to implement. Also I’m pretty sure no one is expecting you guys to develop fully parallel versions of the firmware (other than for security fixes). In fact I’d probably be so bold as to say that RTSP users don’t care as much for in camera processing anyway.

PLUS: Security flaws aren’t as much of an issue if the camera doesn’t require internet access to continue to function, something that RTSP users already do anyway (cut off camera’s internet link).

Anyway I’m still hoping that at least there will be a version (cut it down to RTSP only if you can’t develop the other features) that addresses the issues raised. Until then no more cameras for me (I was planning on replacing more of my old outdoor V2s but that’s not going to happen now - I’ll be looking elsewhere).

Which announcement?

Ezviz C1C small and has rtsp support.
Tplink Tapo C100 small and has rtsp support
Eufy as others have mentioned

Lots of other options, around the same price point.
:slight_smile:

Thanks for the options. C100/C1C are indoor unfortunately. I have purchased an IMOU Looc - works quite well but seems to take up a fair bit of bandwidth. Will keep looking.

This is a real pity as the V3 is quite compact and water resistant.

I got the announcement maybe not a year ago, and put it on one camera it works like a charm on my blue iris display. biggest problem is getting the CPU under control on Blue Iris. I have about 20 other v3s and will probably put the
rtsp on all of them

Yep, It’s just the requirement for internet access to prevent the camera from dropping off, just goes totally against what RTSP is meant to achieve.

I lost faith in Wyze years ago. Been using Reolink and Axis for a while now. RTSP and ONVIF are the future(and present for the most part), the closed ecosystem is going to fail long term.

2 Likes

Love Axis cameras (I still have one from many years ago when IPcams were still fairly new) but soooo expensive.

You’ve just reminded me to dig it out and see what I can do with it!

Seems Wyze is forgetting a saying :
"Coach Royal frequently said, “You dance with the one who brung ya.” He meant he would use players and plays that had been successful in previous wins.
After all the raves I have done about these “phenomenal” Wyze cams to anyone who asked me, this is very disappointing. I will give them a proper burial when they die, but will be replaced by something more in tune with what we, the users want.

1 Like

Wyze forgot a very important lesson and that’s never &^%$ over your user base.

Wyze is in it to make money which no one has any problem with but you dont offer a feature then take it a way later on because you found a way to make more money off those people.
That’s a instant way to make those people disgusted and have them move on to other products that offer what they want and dont pull that kind of stunt.

Wyze could have easily said that rtsp wont be on future models to make money off the new idea and easily fixed up the rtsp firmware for the older ones to work better/more secure.

Instead they went for the dumb we can do want we want move and tough for you.

They could easily kept people happy and increased their future revenue stream but they got greedy.

1 Like

Just to be clear, Wyze removed RTSP due to security concerns (allegedly). The RTSP firmware is based upon the earlier camera firmware version that MIGHT have serious security flaws. To be fair, Wyze has always stated that RTSP was an experimental firmware and that development on it could be stopped. They also stated that they don’t have the resources to do continual updates to the RTSP firmware, which would include security fixes.

And yet, considering the attack surface for just about every user is and was vanishingly small (anyone using a router is safe from external actors, and the LAN vulnerability only applied to SD cards during brief windows) and considering a one-off beta was already a "use at your own risk* proposition anyway, having folks accept the risk to use that beta should have been fine. Arguably.

1 Like

Didn’t say it was a good decision. Mostly a panicked response to a possible threat and clearly not well thought out.

1 Like

No they didn’t that was merely a excuse as they been aware of it for ages.

Fixing the flaw and updating the firmware to run better would have took little effort or expense as its quite small in terms of code base.

They did say it was beta but they gave it to people and only decided to remove it when they were migrating things to a cloud service to add a constant revenue stream.

This was always about money and incredibly short sighted and blind.

They could have had the revenue stream for future products and the good will of the customers.

Huge companies let alone smaller ones have been brought to their knees when they lose the faith of the customers.

But the thing is that those people who want RTSP would never subscribe to a cloud service anyway so this revenue stream was never there to begin with. What has been forgotten is that regardless of use, the more Wyze cameras are out there the more exposure the company gets.

Alternatively, you can use the docker-wyze-bridge, which will provide RTSP (and other) streams for all your wyze cameras: https://github.com/mrlt8/docker-wyze-bridge