Router Mysteries and WiFi madness

802.11be still relies on the release of the 6 GHz band for consumer use. Currently this is a battle between WiFi manufacturers, cellular, and cable broadcasters. Cellular companies want to use it for 5G services. Cable broadcasters currently use it for live events like news and sports. Though it quadruples the bandwidth per channel compared to 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.

2 Likes

I’m told separately that network stuff varies so much by region, ISP, age of device itself, etc. that a database like that may cause more trouble than help in general. That it’s not a bad idea but it would need constant updating and wouldn’t work for everyone.

So sage advice for a rapidly accelerating future is to update your equipment more often.

Take a bath once a week whether you need it or not. :slight_smile:

1 Like

5G is being marketed as the quantum leap in wireless that will improve and enable everything.

How will 5G benefit the smart home? Immediately? Eventually?

I realize this could be a separate topic but it was generated out of this discussion and misapprehension:

• Even when everything looks fine, it’s not.
  • Even when marketing suggests it is, it ain’t.

wait…once a week??? seems like overkill, especially with miracle products like Febreze :crazy_face:

1 Like

Theoretical speeds on 5G are 10 gigabits per second. This is much faster than the majority of home networks out there. While 10 gigabits is possible on ethernet and fiber optic in home networks, the implementation cost is high.

However, this speed won’t really transfer to individual devices. You could have a 5G router with your cellular provider but the cameras, bulbs, plugs, and sensors, and other devices in your smart home wouldn’t use that bandwidth. They will be limited to your local WiFi speed unless you want to pay a device fee for everything to your cellular provider. Even if you have a 10 gigabit AX WiFi router, most of your existing smart home devices will be restricted to the 2.4 ghz band. Which is limited in bandwidth. Those would have to be replaced with new devices supporting the newer protocols. This means new chips for manufacturers, higher costs, etc…

If you need bandwidth, the best thing would be to move game consoles, laptops, phones, tablets, and TV boxes to the 5Ghz or 6 Ghz (when supported) bands of your newer WiFi router. Or better yet, hard wire the items that can be hardwired through ethernet. This will free up the 2.4 Ghz for your other devices.

2 Likes

5G does nothing for WiFi so not sure what you brought that up for? 5G is a cellular technology.

1 Like

I don’t think that distinction is commonly understood. I didn’t know, I was beginning to gather as much.

eg 5Ghz and 5G often confused.

If you want a mod to split the topic, no problem here. Though I think it would be better for someone more informed than me to host it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess they could be confused. 5Ghz while faster than 2.4Ghz has a shorter range so it may actually cause issues with stuff that worked fine on 2.4Ghz.

What has drastically improved is the implementation of 2.4Ghz protocols and the ability to handle larger numbers of wireless devices by more modern routers.

Thanks, rbruce. Those details help.

I meant by the wholly lay person. I knew there was a marked distinction but that was about it.

BTW

was totally not snarky. I think it IS good advice, especially going forward, and I thank you for expressing it.

Updating often is why I have separated my components into modem, router, and WiFi Access Points. I can now update one of these components when needed without having to change the entire network stack. In fact, my modem is currently 6 years old because there has been no need to upgrade it for a while. In that time, I have replaced my router once and the WiFi Access Points three times.

2 Likes

No worries, I have been known to on occasion be a wee bit Snarky my own self. :smile:

1 Like

It occurs to me that with respect to routers, ISPs are not as likely as the enlightened techie to upgrade customer equipment frequently. Wonder if overall cost/benefit (considering support and satisfaction) will tilt them in that direction.

Much bigger issue with 6 GHz. The band is primarily used for point to point microwave with the major users being all the various utilities, almost every government agency in the country, and lots of the backhaul that cellular carriers use from the cell sites back to their switching facilities… If 6 GHz gets released to consumer use, it will be a disaster. Public Safety, non-public safety government, and utility communications will be substantially affected, along with cellular backhaul (no backhaul and your phone stops working).

2 Likes

Personally, I don’t use ISP technology. They provide the cable into the house and that is where their involvement ends as far as equipment goes. Well, we replaced the cable from the box into the house with higher quality cable as well.

This is my modem:
https://smile.amazon.com/ARRIS-Surfboard-SB6183-Package-Black/dp/B01ITIXYR0/

This is my router:
https://smile.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Edgerouter-ERLITE-3-Desktop-Router/dp/B00HXT8EKE/

This is what I use for WiFi access points:
https://smile.amazon.com/Wireless-Supports-Technology-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B07HRVQK1G/

I also have a 16-port POE Switch.
https://smile.amazon.com/TP-Link-Unmanaged-Rackmount-Lifetime-TL-SG1016PE/dp/B0721V1TGV/

Except for the WiFi access points, all of my networking stuff is mounted on the wall under the stairs. The Access Points are 1) Outside the closet near the ceiling and 2) Mounted outside the bedrooms upstairs. Thinking about adding an IP65 rated POE WiFi Extender under the garage eaves. My son also ran CAT-6 cable to every room terminating in a 4-port Ethernet switch.

Most people will probably find it to be easier using Mesh Networking.

3 Likes

Definitely a lot going on with 6Ghz. It will take a lot of work to open to consumers. Honestly, it is probably easier working on a different band but the fight is ongoing now. I don’t know if the current FCC in the US is up to that task of handling this. But that is a discussion for an entirely different place.

Seems like there’s a risk of creating a technically savvy X% surfing genius-like, and a clueless XX% floundering around in the wash.

Wyze, with a mission to bring smart home to the (ISP’d) masses, may be zipping around in Lifeguard boats, but they’ll be navigating mostly “the wash.”

I would like to comment that if anyone is looking for a new router, consider getting one that is IFTTT compatible.

The newer routers have faster CPUs for better throughput. The new one might also have sought a quieter channel and picked that. Signal strength is but one facet of effective comms, you need a clear channel for better signal to noise (noise being the neighbors router on your channel or nearly so), 2.4GHz is a very cluttered band and hard to assure good bandwidth all the time. Like a crowded restaurant, everybody yelling doesn’t mean they’ll be heard well.

1 Like

The man’s deodorant!!

3 Likes