Rolling back Wyze app on iOS

I agree the wyze app for pulling up micro so recorded video is cumbersome at best.

You can but you will need a few things. First you need to download the version of the app you want to install on your macbook in ipa form. Second you will need Xcode and a paid Apple Developers account so you can side load and sign the app yourself. You can use the free developer’s account however you will have to resign it every 7 days. Third you will use Xcode to open the IPA, sign the app and push it to your plugged in ipad (Side Load). Its very doable but another what you would say PITA.

3 Likes

You’d think a guy with one eye would understand visibility problems with the app.

1 Like

Thank you for that.

Apple’s original campaign slogan is stuck in my brain - “It just works.” Today’s version could be - “It might work.” I’m not really blaming Apple, others just don’t play well with them.

Thanks again :+1:

1 Like

Lots of misinfo in this thread. (Tip: don’t take iOS advice from Android users). You can easily install an older app on your iPhone using iTunes or iPhone Configuration Utility. You just need the old .ipa file. You might have that in an old backup, or you can see if Wyze will provide it (ha ha).

1 Like

So in other words there is no way to do it if an iOS user hasn’t previously backed it up and retained that backup?

Is there an equivalent array of places like APKMirror that store these easily installed .IPA files?

That’s not quite what I said. But yes, you need the app you want to install.

Looks like there’s one from “iosninja” and another from Cydia, but I’m not clear if they require a jailbroken phone. I’ve never jailbroken one of my iPhones. One of the sites requires installing and trusting a custom profile. It doesn’t sound that straightforward. If it were, we wouldn’t be locked to the app store?

1 Like

Yup! Anything not in the App Store requires a jailbreak AFAIK. It’s one of the great security strengths of Apple :slightly_smiling_face: and one of the most profound annoyances (to me) :rage: at the very same time.

:rofl: :joy: :rofl:

Yeah, different mindsets!

I can’t tell if Gordon is dissembling, mistaken, or just unclear. He purported that anybody could easily install an .IPA file if, for example, Wyze allowed a download of it.

I’m beginning to think the proper admonition is to take iOS advice ONLY from Android users. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s over a month and @gordonmeyer has yet to explain how a provided .IPA file will allow an Apple user to do ANYTHING. It is really distasteful to see blatant misinformation presented with an air of superiority.

Apparently through extraordinary means - Testflight plus a Wyze (non-existent?) IOS beta program - it is theoretically possible for an iOS user to run something different from the App Store offering. But it’s not gonna happen. The assertion that older apps are “easily installed” (in any other way but from a previous backup) was and is still just nonsense. Just came across yet another confirmation:

https://www.wired.com/story/install-apps-outside-app-store-sideload

Here is another article, since you can’t use iTunes after v12.7:
https://www.imobie.com/iphone-manager/install-ipa-file-on-iphone-without-itunes.htm

Sorry, I’m confused. The article mentions Cydia. Does this assume a jailbroken phone? Or was my assertion wrong and an average iPhone user can in fact install 3rd party .IPA files?

My original message is correct: you need your .ipa or assistance from Wyze. Sorry you’ve led yourself down so many blind alleys.

So a regular iOS user without his or her own backup is completely unable to do anything. He or she can’t take an .IPA file from Wyze and do anything with it. There are no app stores or repositories for phones that are not jailbroken. Your original message was a fabrication. You continue to misrepresent the truth.

Correct.

In the dim and distant past of maybe five years ago, I recall being able to find the .IPA files on a Windows PC, and save them off, and even reinstall them using iTunes on the same device they originally came from. But today, I tried it with iTunes 12.6.3.6 and was unable to duplicate. Perhaps the iOS version of the iDevice also comes into play? Or, of course, maybe I messed up a step…

I would REALLY like a working solution to this because the older iOS app worked better for me than the latest and I still have it one one device, and have to be very careful to not update it… (I do not have any current Macs or TimeMachine, etc at the moment)

1 Like

Getting closer!

Finally found a old Win10 box that still boots up and has iTunes 12.6.3.6 and will show the apps in iTunes and has a huge collection of IPA files in multiple versions.

Naturally the system is several years pre-Wyze, and has no room left on the hard drive to do any backup testing yet, but I will begin experiments as soon as have the time…

1 Like

Spare iPad still running V2.8.20. Hums along great and nice big event thumbnails. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Related, with a solution…