Robot vacuum wheels have permanently stained my hardwood floors

As I said….Small Claims Court.

Further update, So the initial call was Monday it’s Thursday and I just received a new vacuum.

Although it’s nice that they replaced your vacuum it doesn’t address the issue of the floor damage and their lack (Seemingly lack) of correspondence with those affected

I don’t know why it seems so difficult for them to understand that communication is the key to satisfaction

Agree…Nice to get a New Vacuum but does nothing to the many of those with ruined floors and carpets. To admit fault would be a Class action Lawsuit. Nice going Wyze!!!

Couldn’t agree more. Imagine if they had sent out an email to those who had purchased the robot vacs. When I finally started to figure out the stains and went here to find out if others had a similar situation, I found that this was a known issue for months. Had I received just an email to be cautious and monitor my floors under the docking location I could have avoided much of the damage.

They sent me replacements too. When I asked if these replacements would solve the problem, no answer.

I’ll keep using things I have purchased. It’s money already spent, but I seriously doubt that I will buy anything new from Wyze. We know the obvious answer to why they will not warn users or comment on this issue.

Some flooring varnish do react with rubber-like material. We have a matte finish Bona varnish that creates similar marks with even white rubber feet.
We had to very lightly sand using 220 grit (or even 400) and then reapply a tiny coat. Totally invisible after.

You would benefit from having a thin transparent vinyl mat at this location.

Simply posting what Wyze did and didn’t do for me. So many times people complain on these forums but never post what resolution was offered. So for the years of posts I wanted everyone to know this is what they are offering. Is it acceptable, no of course not, but what they did offer they did quickly. Obviously I will put the new unit on a silicone mat as suggested here. I still have not had my floor guy out.

Band-Aids or tire plugs don’t do anything for arterial bleeds

Unfortunately that’s all the company has offered. I believe that the leader ship of this company needs an overhaul maybe, this is how they do it in China but it’s certainly not the way we conduct business here in America.

Refocusing could help hiring someone to give direction would help…

There are people within the Wyze organization that know what they are doing but I’m not certain if they are in a leadership position

1 Like

The finish that you have is likely a hardwax finish (Bona, Rubio Monocoat, Osmo, etc) . These are relatively easy to repair in small spots. You can sand down the wood, remove the damage and refinish seamlessly to the existing finish. Most floors are finished with a polyurethane and the only way you can repair is to sand down the entire room. Spot repairs are not possible.

1 Like

Well, the finish is a polymer resin with an extra matte finish. It’s a one component product that has practically no odor, is super clear and dries very rapidly. Full curing is 5 days.
It can be spot repaired easily and is almost impossible to see - the best way being to refinish a complete plank.

But all of this is off-topic.

Another update, my floor guy will be out this week he saw the pic and said fix should be easy.

My floor is refinished with Bona, water based matte.

Another fun fact, I had unboxed the new unit and had everything laying on my dining room table because I had to box up the old unit. Silly me had the old unit upside down but not the new one. Went to install the new unit since I got my silicone mat and wow now I have a few marks on my dining room table from the new unit That was just sitting there for a few days.

There is obviously an issue with the rubber that is used on the wheels. Dining room table is a white oak not recently refinished probably not water based.

Wyze - Please use this information to figure out this problem!

1 Like

There you go, Bona, like for the floor where we had issues with a lamp.
Even replacing the lamp feet with white ones - that were probably also rubber - the floor did mark similarly at the contact points. It much be a chemical reaction with some polymer components.

It’s unlikely Wyze will change something as the occurrence is probably low and the solution easy.

The Bona finish is simply amazing but, this tendency to mark with some rubbers is annoying. We have fabric feet (velvet like) on all furniture now. Problem solved - not convenient for robot vacuum though :wink:

That doesn’t explain the marks on the dining table though, nothing to do with Bona.

You’re better off watching Water Boil. Wyze fixing a Major issue… :rofl: :rofl:

I guess it means you have new vacs, but the problem has not been solved. (hope you were able to remove the marks on the table before it fully penetrated)

Any communication is an admission of guilt but replacing a defective machine is also an admission of guilt.

1 Like

Angus, I can’t help but believe that people would find it easier to swallow knowing that Wyze made a mistake and admitted it then it would be to know they made a mistake and have them deny it and denial can be accomplished by a non-response

Just another update: Almost freaked out when I started my vacuum. Look at the the silicone mat!!! Marks on the silicone! So that takes out anything hardwood. Posting to show Wyze these issues. I am a problem solver by nature, so just providing data.

Roomba 870 still going strong and problem free since 16 May 2016 :rofl:

1 Like

Ok, one more update. My floor guy came out today, he was very surprised by the marks and said he had never seen that before. So this is what we learned:

-The marks are not on the surface, thy cannot be scraped off.

-It needs to be sanded, and it goes beyond the 3 layers of sealer, including the Bona Traffic HD.

-When he got through the coating down to bare wood there was a greenish mark in the wood. He had to sand a little further into the wood to completely remove the mark. Picture is of bare wood after removing coatings.

• he said luckily we acted fast because this might Have just continued to soak into the wood.

• he believes it was an oil like substance the drips from the unit around the wheels, penetrating whatever it is on.

• it took him 2 hours to fix and it looks flawless. He didn’t charge me anything since my floor was just done in the spring.

• final takeaway, I have an awesome floor guy!!!

Wyze I am willing to work with you to help you solve this issue, just contact me. I want nothing from you.

1 Like